Guess that grinding noise: front end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the skinny:

• New to me 93 80 series. Found this noise during deceleration soon after purchase.
  • Had new tires, brakes, and right front wheel bearings done.
  • Still making this grinding noise, but is intermittent.
  • Basic indie toyota shop who did the above work, rec'd me to a transmission guy thinking differential. Rec'd letting it get worse before taking it in to have something to find.
  • I held out for an LC shop (yotamasters in corona, ca), and made these videos to help with diagnosing.
  • Sound has happened in the situations depicted in the videos which are surface streets, but also coming off a freeway between 50-60mph, and also first thing around the corner from my place never getting above 15-20.
  • has gone entire cycles of driving and not made a peep (surface low speed, freeway, but no dirt)
here are the videos, grinding comes in in the first minute or so of each:
Grinding front end Landcruiser 80 series - YouTube
Grinding front end Landcruiser 80 series part II - YouTube

Done some reading here, but not sure I can find anything which matches what I have. Front axle rebuild? Tranny? Just thought I would get y'alls two cents if you care to guess.:beer:

Will be bringing it in to the pros in the next week or so. I drive it lightly I live 2 miles from work), cept for weekends, and reluctant to go far or push it until I know it wont end up with a tow to a less desirable and LC knowledgeable shop.

So doc, how bad is it ;)

I jave the exact same make, model and year landcruiser. it is making the same noise...identical. 2 mechanics cannot find the cause. can you tell me what eas causing it on your cruiser? Thanks

i have been hunting on this for a while too, i pulled my front driveshaft and had no change, only hear it on deceleration, toyota dealer said it was in the diff. haven't got into it yet. if only i had hubs! i could unlock and rule it out.

Listen to each part of the diff and the transfer case with a screw driver before you tear anything apart. I had a similar sound and it was caused by worn out bearings in the rear nose of the transfer case. When you lift an 80 you change the angles on the bearings in both diffs and the front and rear nose of the transfer case. These types of noises can be caused by grinding bearings. When you change the angle it causes new and different stresses which can result in the grinding.

Last edited:
Listen to each part of the diff and the transfer case with a screw driver before you tear anything apart. I had a similar sound and it was caused by worn out bearings in the rear nose of the transfer case. When you lift an 80 you change the angles on the bearings in both diffs and the front and rear nose of the transfer case. These types of noises can be caused by grinding bearings. When you change the angle it causes new and different stresses which can result in the grinding.
Thanks. Mine doesn't have a lift kit in it. The sound does appear to come from the front right wheel. I'm thinking spindle bush.

Thanks. Mine doesn't have a lift kit in it. The sound does appear to come from the front right wheel. I'm thinking spindle bush.

Just had the same noise on the weekend and yes it was the spindle bush, not worn just dry as the previouse owner had done the wheel bearing and repacked the CV's but didnt fill the knuckles up o_O, thank god it had only done about 500km otherwise it could have been allot worse ,
so it would pay to check the grease level in your knuckles first.

Just had the same noise on the weekend and yes it was the spindle bush, not worn just dry as the previouse owner had done the wheel bearing and repacked the CV's but didnt fill the knuckles up o_O, thank god it had only done about 500km otherwise it could have been allot worse ,
so it would pay to check the grease level in your knuckles first.
I know this is an old thread but after reading it I thought I might add to the post I may be able to help someone out in the future. I've had a turbo 80 series Sahara for nearly 25 years now and normally do my own work. A long time ago due to being time poor, I had a very reputable transmission shop change my wheel bearings and spindle bushes. Approx 500k's later that dreaded spindle noise appeared on right side front wheel. After stripping the right side wheel bearing and spindle bushing out, the mechanic had packed the spindle bush with black lithiun cv grease which is wrong. The spindle bush is a high speed plain bearing with the axle shaft spinning in it. It requires the same high speed, high temp wheel bearing grease you use on your wheel bearings, not the light black CV grease. My noise which was extremely loud and high pitched and happened just before we put the boat it to go marlin fishing. We still went fishing and pulled the hub apart with a screw driver, shifter and hammer when we got back in to the boat ramp that night. We re-lubed the spindle bush with some wheel bearing grease from the boat trailer spare wheel bearings and we drove off again with no noise. Hope this helps and remember to pack the spindle full of wheel bearing grease every time you pulled the spindle off. When packed, I regularly do 200,000 kms between timkin wheel bearing changes, when I repack the the spindles again. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom