Guess it's time for an ARB. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A healthy reminder to keep your wits about you, deer are assholes!
IMG_20170116_125033906_HDR.jpg

So early this morning on 191 around the Bozeman Hot Springs, I dodged the first deer but caught the second one pretty square. They were running across the road angled away from me so I never saw the reflection of their eyes. I was hard on the brakes from 55 mph so I can't really say speed at impact but no airbag deployment. At first I thought the carcass was imbedded in the radiator by the amount of fur but after calming down and inspecting...NO LEAKING FLUIDS!!! Amazingly the radiator and all coolers are untouched, electric fan is completely intact, steering and suspension feel solid. Only real missing function is the front right turn signal.
I washed all the leftover deer parts off and she's been running solid all day! I consider myself very lucky, I am unharmed, still have transportation, and got away without having to even pay a tow. But hopefully this can serve as a reminder to stay alert, lighting is your friend, and no need to push your speed with all the wildlife out there.

On to the upside... I am very optimistic I will be able to upgrade to an ARB Sahara Bar through the repair/insurance process. This will give me a solid platform for some additional lighting and eventually a winch. The truck goes in Thursday for a teardown estimate, they couldn't accurately diagnose damage visually so they'll dig in a bit. So fingers crossed the damage is limited to the bumper and front facade, and that Lexus charges a stupid amount for a plastic bumper so I can upgrade without much price differential.

Stay safe guys!!!

The wife smacked a deer on I90 a few years ago, in our LX, similar damage, ended up with both headlights and some other stuff not found until teardown. Not realizing our insurance covered OEM parts not aftermarket, it turned out good.
I'm thinking it ended up at $7500??

glad your OK

Sorry, Lax!! I'm glad you're ok, and I hope it works out in your favor!!

Thanks guys! I'm thankful there were no injuries or other vehicles involved and YES, there wasn't much left of the deer...

UPDATE:
Truck has been looked at by the Ressler body shop and everything should work out for the best. Damage is about $5000 but plenty of room before they'd try to total it out. And no mechanical damage, purely cosmetic. Hood and quarter panels are fine but will get a respray to blend the front facade, new headlight and parking light assemblies, center radiator support, and then all the bumper parts including fog/turn signal assemblies.

GOOD NEWS is I will be skipping the OEM bumper and installing an ARB Sahara bumper! I've already talked with Dark Horse and Ressler about the upgrade and shouldn't be a big deal. All said and done it'll be cheaper than if I had missed the deer and bought the bumper outright. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have skipped the carnage but I'll take the silver lining. Should be complete by the February meeting!

IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG

ARB front bumper added after deer strike. Had body shop match paint and install.
Very glad I went with ARB, only issue is with approach angle.
IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom