Guerlain

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PabloCruise, Aug 6, 2005.

1. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Just got a shipment from my grandparents estate.

They are both gone now.

My mom packed up a bottle of my grandfather's Guerlain eau de cologne - smells just like my memories of him!

Funny how smells can take you back in time and in your mind...

That is all!

2. freightdog

freightdog

That is cool Pablo...

I have my grandma's chair that still smells of her after all these years - I wonder if it is in my mind or the actual smell...

That 40 your buddy is selling is sweet!

I'll trade for my 60

3. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Let him know man!

He is open to trades...

4. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Although any dog is 1000x better in discriminating smells than humans are, it is the subliminal/unconcious nature of smell perception that makes it so powerful for us (I have very powerful relapses into old memories with smells I don't even recognize the first moment I perceive them; the evoked memory then tells me where to locate the smell, what it reminds me of and why it recalls a certain emotion; fortunately, most of those are positive memories, although I also know a few distinctly negative smells). Most people do not recognize, and we do not really have much education in that either, how much smell is integrated with other sensory perceptions and experiences; infact, some poeple argue that smell may be the most powerful sensation because we can least ocntrol it and alter it after the fact. Keep in mind, though, that fragrance companies do vary their formulations with time to keep up with current fashions (still, a certain cheap suncreen will always remind me of an old flame).

Neuroscientists can tell you a whole lot more about this topic; if you know one, by all means ask them, they will be happy someone is actually interested in what they deal with all day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.