Gudmundur 3.0 - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally installed my ScanGauge II using a mount from Cruiser Garage. Super easy install. Took about 10 minutes.

100-Series Ash Tray Mount — CRUISER GARAGE - https://cruisergarage.com/products/ash-tray-switch-mount

ScanGauge is great to monitor engine temp and to have a corrected readout for MPH once I up-size the tires. I found it interesting that there is voltage drop to the OBD2 readout for volts that the ScanGauge reads. The in-cab voltage monitor I installed is hardwired 16 AWG directly from the battery and it reads anywhere from 0.1-0.2 Volts higher.

full

Replaced the starter battery today. Old one had to be jumped a few times and noticed it was slow to turn over lately. Resting voltage was mid to high 11 volts. Sticker on it was from 2017. So figured it put in a good fight.

Had planned to just get a regular starter battery. Ordered a Duracell 27F from Batteries Plus. Got confirmation I could come pick it up. Got there and they said they made a mistake and didn't have any regular 27Fs in stock. None of the of the other Denver stores had them either. Saw they had X2 AGMs in 27F. So pulled the trigger and got that. Don't really need a AGM for a starter battery, but figured why not. The Land Cruiser is already a money pit! Comes with a 5yr warranty compared to a 3yr for their regular starting batteries.

Specs on it are pretty beast:
- 930 cold cranking amps
- 92AH

full

AGMs like a higher voltage to charge properly. To remedy this most folks add a voltage booster. I had one from GUD2.0. It replaces the regular ALT-S fuse. Using a diode it raises the voltage by 0.5V.

MK1 Mini Blade 7.5A (Fusible link version) | HKB Electronics - https://www.hkbelect.com/product/338-mk1-mini-blade-75a-fusible-link-version-2005/

full

Before the booster: 14.3V
full

With the booster: 14.8V
full

I consistently find that my Scanguage reads low too. About 0.2v low. Interesting to see that it is the same for you.

New tire day!

Went with 275/70/18 DuraTracs. With all the weight I wanted an E load rated tire. Had them on GUD2.0 and liked them. They are quiet on the street, have great snow/ice handling, and good off road. Some folks have had issues with side wall cuts. I've never had any problems, but also don't wheel it hard.

In other news, someone side swiped the front bumper while I was parked on the street (can see in the picture). They were nice enough to leave a note. Not going to try and fix it...... just going to upgrade to either a Slee or ARB.

full

New tire day!

Went with 275/70/18 DuraTracs. With all the weight I wanted an E load rated tire. Had them on GUD2.0 and liked them. They are quiet on the street, have great snow/ice handling, and good off road. Some folks have had issues with side wall cuts. I've never had any problems, but also don't wheel it hard.

In other news, someone side swiped the front bumper while I was parked on the street (can see in the picture). They were nice enough to leave a note. Not going to try and fix it...... just going to upgrade to either a Slee or ARB.

full
“Someone” hit the bumper, eh? How convenient…😂

Finally got GUD3.0 out on a shakedown run/road trip. Did a quick tour around CO. No off roading, just visiting new places and old favorites. Most of the off road passes/trails are still closed until more snow clears. Was a good opportunity to get out before all the crowds arrive in mid-July and before it gets unbearably hot down in the four corners area. Overall plan was to meander down to Mesa Verde National Park and then meander back to Denver.

Trip: Denver -> Blue Mesa Reservoir in Gunnison -> Ouray -> Silverton -> Durango -> Mesa Verde -> Telluride -> Redstone -> Denver.

No crowds at all in Ouray and Silverton since the passes aren't open yet. Even the Million Dollar Highway was pretty empty.

GUD3.0 ran flawlessly. 5spd vs 4spd was really nice through the mountain passes. All electrical systems worked great. I really do like the RedArc DC/DC charger. Worked well keeping the 2nd battery charged up.

Not a lot of pictures to share, but I did manage 23.5 mpg! Though it was only the stretch from Georgetown to Idaho Springs. :rofl:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
but I did manage 23.5 mpg!
Nearly spit my coffee out reading this, since I struggle to get above 10. Then I read the next sentence and felt not-so-bad.

I like the build!

Few weeks ago got out for a quick trip to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Pretty early season so Medano Creek wasn't running yet. Was cold and windy the entire time, but still nice to be out.

Buddy brought along his 4x4 Ford Transit camper van. Tested out his Starlink satellite. Pretty impressive. No problem hitting well over 100 Mbps download speeds. I kinda get the #vanlife now. Was nice to hangout, cook, etc out of the elements. Not sure if it is $120K nice though.

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Few weeks ago got out for a quick trip to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Pretty early season so Medano Creek wasn't running yet. Was cold and windy the entire time, but still nice to be out.

Buddy brought along his 4x4 Ford Transit camper van. Tested out his Starlink satellite. Pretty impressive. No problem hitting well over 100 Mbps download speeds. I kinda get the #campervanlife now. Was nice to hangout, cook, etc out of the elements. Not sure if it is $120K nice though.

full

full

full

full
Where’d you camp? On-site there? I’ve been looking at Zapata Falls just down the road, but don’t have any good insider beta.

Where’d you camp? On-site there? I’ve been looking at Zapata Falls just down the road, but don’t have any good insider beta.
First night (pictured) we camped on BLM land near the park. Here is the GPS for the access road. 37.521963277887664, -105.60154170776666

Second night we were in Pinon Flats campground in the park. Great views of the dunes from the campground and about a 10 minute walk to the base of the Dunes. Zapatas Falls is a great campground too. We visited the falls this trip but they were still frozen.

Both campgrounds book up for the season pretty quickly.

Another option is Medano Pass once Medano Creek levels are low enough for the crossings. There are designated sites within the national preserve (west side of the pass) and dispersed sites along the trail on the east side of the pass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom