GTurbo and Plazmaman W2A @ 20lbs boost 1hd-ft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally had the GTurbo and Plazmaman W2A intercooler fitted. The tuner dyno’d it with 20lbs boost (somewhat at the bottom of the range for this turbo but I’m happy not to go too extreme). Combined with the already fitted 3” single muffler exhaust and a free flow K&N filter the results are pretty good. Even with the 33” tyres it’s no longer a slouch.

The only disappointment was that my egt probe used to be fitted to the EGR blanking plate one only measured 2 cylinders. So with the manifold coming off for the new turbo I asked the mechanic to move the probe to a new hole he would drill into the centre of the manifold pre turbo. I never did that because I didn’t want swarf into the turbo. When I collected the vehicle he said oh, we fitted the probe post turbo, we decided not to drill your manifold. Don’t worry it’s all the same just -100C from your reading...... I was somewhat furious.

I find the new position very laggy for reading and I don’t trust that 100C is a safe amount to deduct. I’m not really very happy and quite disappointed with that outcome.

What do you all suggest. Move the probe back to a new EGR blanking plate? They welded the previous one which I also thought was naive. A simple bung would have sealed it without the risk of it warping.

Be interested in any thoughts.

Cheers, Peter

F9F95C04-D24E-4DEB-8787-32AA141ADDB8.jpeg
08102A74-4DD9-4ADF-BEE6-FA5E2F1463AC.jpeg
FDC66E5F-3CF1-45E5-9A7F-6C8C1977CC62.jpeg

I have personally seen as much as 400*F (204C) difference (at 1300*F) between pre/post turbo on diesels. Different engine, different turbos, so not necessarily apples to apples, but 100C seems low for a difference.

I think at full boost your gauge would sweep up quickly to near 700C. I have front mounted IC and it keeps the temps down but when I floor it it sweeps to about 1100F and comes right down as I take my foot of the fuel. I would put the EGT at preturbo cause the point is to measure temperature at the head.

Nice truck.

Last edited:
Post turbo gives false sense of security.

Pics of where to put the probe pre turbo

thanks very much for the replies, especially for the link mudgudgeon. I’ve written to the mechanic and confirmed I’m not happy with it and given him the opportunity to put it right (where I asked for it). I wish I had the time to just do this sort of thing myself. So frustrating trusting others. Thanks again all.

Post turbo gives false sense of security.

Pics of where to put the probe pre turbo

Agree with this. Which Gturbo are you running? I have the green, and it's preset to 22psi, capable of 28. Why not run 22 or greater? It will help with EGTs.

Drill into the center of the manifold if you could for the most accurate readings. The probes are made to withstand high temps and abuse. It's a preventive maintenance item on my truck now.

Just put the probe back where you had it! Egr blanking plate? If you put it in the middle it will still not read if on cylinder or two are out. When you have time put it where you want to have it.

I’m also using the green turbo. Gturbo told me it’s good from 18 to 28 so I wanted to be at the bottom of the range just because I was 10psi for many years and so much more boost just felt a bit extreme. I’m happy with the power and drive ability. It’s a huge improvement and I’m very impressed with how early the boost is available. My only issue is the EGT and when to back off. I tow a lot and will tow our caravan around the NZ South Island this summer so I’d like the probe back in the exhaust manifold. It’s annoying because the opportunity to do it efficiently was when the manifold was off switching the turbo.

Yes, if I end up with a disagreement with the mechanic for too long then I’ll get another blanking plate threaded and switch it over myself. Then I’ll be back at least to what I had and I’m familiar at least with the behaviour of the readings there

I believe the intercooler company should provide operations curves for water flow rates as well as water temperatures .. W2A systems can be 30X of A2A systems .. Many water pumps used in W2A don't cut the mustard .. The reason for this is the head losses in the system .. How much water it is pushing .. How long the hoses .. If you have a 5 PSI pump with 5 gpm you may not get 5 gpm .. First we need to know what the max water flow rate is acceptable for the W2A intercooler .. I know of some very high quality 316 stainless pumps that will do 28 gpm with low head losses .. But what happens when you have to push a lot of water you loose flow rates because of the pressure drop .. This is a Kick Butt Marine Pump built for continuous operation that outputs 28 gpm .. I personally don't like Bosch water pumps because they don't develop a lot of pressure .. It's easy to fix having to much flow .. Its impossible to fix not enough unless you change the pump .. Two sets of hoses into one set going into a reservoir and a hose that goes to the intercooler that has a mild flow constrictor .. Simple .. The return hose from the intercooler would go into the reservoir .. Its like having a gun .. Its better to have one an not need one than to need one and not have one ..

I have been looking for a good Subaru 12 volt W2A intercooler pump as they have a fairly high pressure rating and I think they are about 8 gpm .. I don't think you can miss this 28 gpm pump being more for what is needed .. Splitting the pump output and dialing in with a simple check valve on the line that goes to the intercooler will make a custom flow system that a flow meter can check on the output side of the Intercooler .. Most W2A Intercooler manufacturers really don't fully test and publish information that allow we the tinkerers to implement a system that is dialed in .. That failure to provide information is the reason why we end up scratching our .. .. heads ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom