gt2860 on 1hdft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys
after running a gt2876, gt2871,gt2870,ct26 supra,ct26 upgrade on my 1hdft im going to have to say the best turbo so far has either been the ct26 supra or the gt2860. The gt2860 starts boosting about 1650rpm
and pulls strong till 3000rpm good for my 35" tyres paired with the auto the supra turbo pulled strait off the line and sounded awesoem

How much boost are you running?

20psi ..bit conservative with this turbo till i get bored and go back to 30psi
..blow by is starting to get a bit ..much tho :S

I'm really interested in this Supra CT26 turbo swap. I keep hearing a lot of different things but not much from anyone who has actually done it. Do you use the whole Supra turbo or just the cold side and clock it properly? What is the set up like? Are there many additional parts needed? Low end boost is my big concern, where does boost begin to build? I know it's a lot of questions but I've been googling my fingers off trying to find good info. This would be going on a 1HDT engine.

Mudstorm was actually a Perth local 4WD. I took off his GT2860 and replaced with a Grunter. He couldn't believe the difference and said that after spending $10k on different turbos with claims from "people who know" that it made boost earlier and more midrange than anything he had tried before.

That was ~ April 2011

A few months later my Bad Boy parts had arrived and he installed the Bad Boy and ran a lot higher boost and a ton of power. he was stalling it up and drag racing people at the lights!. He was happy with that. Come April 2012 and I built a "head Kicker" race turbo for him.... but the turbo hadn't done 30km of normal road driving before something went into the engine (nut or something) ad made a major rattle.

He then bought a ferrari and he sold the car - to me :) The engine is being repaired now and will be used as a pure "Fun Truck"

The Supra conversion is one I recommended a few years ago and if strapped for cash and you get the parts cheap, its a worthy upgrade. The Grunter however kills it in the low rpm and delivers ~ the same top end with quicker response.

Adam goes into some detail on his and originally installed a Supra comp wheel at my advice if I recall correctly, so I recommend reading it. I am happy because he is in Canada; nice to hear of overseas stories :)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...049-1hd-t-turbo-upgrade-installed-tested.html

^^^ What he said. :D

The Supra hybrid performs just like the stock 1HD-T turbo at the bottom end but will hold high boost to higher rpm.

The Grunter just plain kills the Supra hybrid at the bottom-to-mid range and sacrifices nothing at the top.

I'm glad I tried the Supra turbo for ~20,000km because I feel like I've been working my way through a series of "baby steps" and have a greater understanding of the differences between each option.

Where you jump in depends on your budget.

I keep my boost controller set at 20psi.

From May-October I do a lot of driving up to 5000' above sea level. For every 1000' you go up the air pressure goes down by about 0.5psi - at 5000' the air pressure is only 12.2psi rather than 14.7 at sea level.

In terms of pressure ratio, 20psi at sea level is 2.36 ... but 20psi at 5000' is 2.64, equivilent to 24psi at sea level.

So there, we're the same! :D

Lucky me I'm at sea level most of the time .. the not that lucky part it's I'm also 32°C average all year around with 80% humidity .. :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom