GSMTR - Complete Newby to Wheeling, but Planning to Attend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's always a bunch of georgia people who head up there. stlca does a good job of having milder rides and then some more moderate stuff (not sure how into wheeling the 40 you are). Pretty sure they have something at the pavilion that says what the trails they are going on the day before then they leave by 10 the next morning. Those groups are usually pretty large though so I usually find some buddies with similarly built trucks and plan something ourselves.

If you are not planning on staying multiple days I would probably come up whatever day they are doing the raffle, but if you're coming multiple days usually friday-sunday is a pretty good trip. Just make sure you get up there by 10 (already paying windrock fees at the office before) if you plan on getting on one of those stlca set up rides or you'll be left. I'll probably be there fri-sun if I go

Anyone else form Atlanta area going? Any pointers for a first-timer?

- Farrell

Farrell,
GSMTR'97 was the first that I attended and I attended everyone since.

• I go up for the entire week.
  • Normally there is almost no traffic on the trails to deal with Mon-Wed, so I find those to be the best wheeling days.
  • Camping at the event site was a good way to get to know more of the community. The close proximity of Oak Ridge and cabins allows camping to be an option while still getting to know others. [I normally get a hotel room or two because it costs less than the cabins, plus a 3 star hotel is roughing it for the bride]
  • Again due to proximity of comforts, staying light with packing food is an option available to you as you feel your way through your first event.
  • Complete your maintenance and watch items in advance. There will be ample knowledgeable help available if you need to work on anything, but reduce your stress and maximize your fun by prep'ing your truck in advance.
  • The bbq dinner and raffle are Saturday night. Plan the day so you aren't stuck on the trail Saturday afternoon, which might cause you to miss the closing fun.

Welcome aboard and see you there.
Larry

I recommend wheelin with @TeddyBoy and @tgreco. They know the park very well and really enjoy teaching/training new people. They usually stick to the scenic type of trails so your 40 should be ok.

:cautious: Yes, they know the park well. They will absolutely be able to identify which trails not to take a stock 40 on and which trails might be good for wheeling a stock 40 that should to yield a positive first GSMTR experience.

GSMTR has become a tradition and many people from Atlanta go.

Stock 40 I presume. You dont want to follow me or Tony, not that we wouldnt be happy to show you around but I fear we'd turn a stock rig into a crushed beer can the 1st trail. Instead, jump into one fo the guided rides put on during the latter part of the week.

BTW @FJCRAWLER , Tony got himself some 40" treps...

4 inch left with BFG MTs, Stock other than that.

A few other considerations in selecting your trails:
  • Transfer/tranny skid?
  • Rock sliders?
  • Winch?
  • Lockers? (no per 'Stock otherwise')
  • Bumpers and/or upgraded recovery points?

A stock 40 is very capable and, as with us all, very dear to you. Therefore, you will most likely want to select trails that will be challenging and fun while avoiding unreasonable risk.

Last year's easy ride had about 30 trucks on it on Thursday (or was it Friday?)
Some broke off but it was easily handled by even a stockish truck. It got more difficult through the day which, I am told, was really enjoyable for the novice because they were able to slowly learn what their truck could do. It sort of worked out this way by accident but thanks to Andy Scott for selecting a decent route for the trail leader.

We saw darn near the entire park and were out for about 6 or 7 hours.

Hopefully we will have a similar experience this year.

Nice! I'm planning on going myself. I should probably get registered. Good luck finishing the rig. I feel like every event I go to comes up to quick and my rig is never where I want it.

Alright, I am in. I just registered and now the pressure to the truck passable is on me.
Make sure you strap the battery down and it is always a good idea to bring a full gas can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom