GSMTR 09 June 15th-21st (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
GSMTR Registration click here

18th Annual Great Smokey Mountain Trail Ride

Tellico OHV

Yes is it time to start planning for this event. Actually we started before the last one was done. So mark you calendars now. Go ahead and tell the boss you need these dates off.

Format will be similar to the way it has been in the past.

Going to be a big turnout this year. Expecting over 200 vehicles and 300 people.

Thanks. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I got my registration in already. Should be there Wed-Sun.
I'm planning on getting a cabin again this year, may or may not have some room.

I got my registration in already. Should be there Wed-Sun.
I'm planning on getting a cabin again this year, may or may not have some room.

You mean a bunk house? You need to call Danny now. Stuff is going fast.

That's right, I'll call this week. Thanks Marshall

There should be 4 of us coming.We will definatly be staying at Crawfords though.
If you want the info on the cabin, call or PM me. They still have a $100 deposit from me from 2 years ago.

Dont think I am going to be able to make GSMTR this year :( Too many things happening....but if it changes will hopefully be room left for registration.

I will be doing Durhamtown though still I think....:D

For those of us who have never been, is there a link or thread explaining what to expect at this event? Day by day activities- location-basic what to expect stuff...?

For those of us who have never been, is there a link or thread explaining what to expect at this event? Day by day activities- location-basic what to expect stuff...?

Greg thanks for asking.

It's being held here. Western North Carolina RV Park and Campground and Cabin Rentals::Crawford's Campground::
That should tell you everything you want to know about the site.

As far as preleminary events this is what we have so far.

Upstate Cruisers Itinerary

Most likely some of that might change but mostly with additional activities.

What to expect:

The first couple days are usually low key. Registration and then getting your stuff set up and get used to the area. We will have fires at night to sit around and talk with others. During the day the board at the pavilion will be the most active place. We will have a one or two big dry erase boards set up for people to sign up for trails. You can just go them on your own but the board provides an easy way of seeing who is where and doing what at what time. Plus you can join in on trail levels you feel comfortable with.

The trails from the campground are about a 30-45 minute drive over mostly gravel. They are pay based at $10 dollars a day. Once you pay you can pick the trails you want based on you and your vehicles level. I'm a mostly 4, 5 (or was), 6 guys. Usually that will be about 3-5 hrs of fun.

There are also a lot of other things to do while your in Tellico. They have a nice downtown area about 30 min away. There is fishing just about everywhere. The Cherohala Skyway The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway is close by. I'd rate it right up there with the Blue Ridge Parkway. A lot of fun for kids and some really cool overlooks. Also the Tellico river that follows some of trail one is a really good place to swim and should be warm enough to dare by late June. There is also some good hiking and biking near by.

The post below is one I did last week to help answer some questions.

Just want to thank those who are coming. I don't think you will be disappointed.

FL, SC, NC have had low numbers in the past few GSMTR's. That will change with this one. UC should easily have 50 registrants this year and at least another possible 25 from y'all and 25 from Florida. That's 100 right there. Add that to the 100 or so that already attend GSMTR every year and you can easily see how 200 is possible. Plus we have easily 20 members helping put the event together and another 30 or so volunteers willing to help during the event. Couple that with a sponsorship team who is expecting 100-200 sponsors for the event.

We have a lot of new things this year that I think will help draw people in.

More advertising.

A huge sponsor list to make the raffle this year something like no other (even in this economy).

A restructuring of the registration. Everyone wanted the a la carte.

Changing the date so it can become more of a family event. Next year it will not be same time as this year. Most likely be early June. We did it in late June this year to accommodate some of the STLCA members who are doing some consulting for us during the event.

A lot of new events for the week along with some of the usual favorites. Rock crawling comp (blind, classes 1,2, &3, kids crawling (we have something special planned)) tug-o-war (that's with vehicles not people) Movie night (have yet to decide but we will have a big screen TV to show either wheeling stuff or movies for the kids), sponsors exposition, rafting, drinks night (Metal Tech usually steps up in a big way and this is a night where we cater to you), BBQ one night and huge raffle and auction. We will also work on making sure the kids stay occupied. We have yet to finalize this but we are going to try to have a camp for them during a couple days so the parents can get out and have a little trail me time. Probably have a yard sale event so you can bring your crap and everyone can get some good deals.

We are planning on having better Wi-Fi and it be available in more places. Also plan on having the event live on MUD or at least some of it.

We also will most likely have all chapter presidents from Florida, Georgia, SC, NC &TN all together as well as some other TLCA chapters. I'd like to get them all together one day during the event and sit down and talk about TLCA and what they are doing that works and get to know each other. I think this is key in getting the chapters involved and forming a strong bond with TLCA to make sure the eastern part of the US is well in their minds.

We also have planned to have some tech classes. Setting up third members, lockers, t-cases, recovery, come to mind.

Assuming we can pull this all off I think you will easily see why we have had to put a cap on this years event. Wheeling and meeting new Toyota friends should be the main reason you should be coming. But if that isn't enough I'm sure the other stuff will make up for it.

:princess: wants to know the showers and toilet scenario. Marshall, can you elaborate?

:beer: R

What you need to tell her.

Two separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities (hot private showers). They are nice, each bathroom has it's own shower and toilet and sink as well as a lock on the door. They are not small and are cleaned frequently. I believe there are 8 of them. They are at both ends.

What you need to know and not tell her until the day of the trip. Bring flip flops and some extra towels. It is a public facility and while they clean it very frequently there is no way of telling who just used it. Also there are numerous port-a-jons around the area for those that don't really care where we crap or piss. Bring a bag that you can put toilet paper and a small towel or something in the big bathrooms. You can use it to wipe anything down you think to make you feel better. Toilet paper they provide is standard issue cheap.

If she doesn't like that then I'd look into a cabin there and if those are full might start working your way out. We will soon have on the site available cabins in the area or at least places to look. Working on discounts for registered folks.

If you want more detail call Danny at Crawfords. He will fill you in. He is very honest. 828-837-9077

Nice video. I saw Scott's 40 in there at least 3 times. I got a glimpse of my Jeep behind him, but I was in front most of the time