“GRUMVEE” Build Thread: family/adventure-mobile LX570 (NorCal) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud!

I’m starting a build thread for my new-to-me 2011 LX570 (named “Grumvee”). During the past 3-4 years, we’ve been getting more into offroad/overland camping and adventure. We’re a family of four (me, my wife, and our two sons — ages 9 and 11). We like to spend a lot of time outdoors: camping, hiking, biking, and skiing.

Our first vehicle was a 2008 4Runner, also named “Grumvee." Served us very well. Sold last April (in under 12 hours!). Pics of this great rig below (on a trip through the Lost Coast, CA).

Why “Grumvee”? My 5-year-old (at the time) and I were talking about what we should name the 4Runner. We started riffing on the sounds that big trucks make and ended up with “gr-UHM… vee!” It’s goofy, I know. But it’s our thing. And once I ordered the personalized plates (GRUMVEE), that sealed the deal. I was going to get the plates “GRUM_V2” (v2, get it?) for the LX, but the CA DMV stopped doing personalized plates during the pandemic. So we stuck with GRUMVEE for the LX as well.

I’ve always wanted a Land Cruiser and have been reading about them and perusing classifieds for — if I’m being honest — a couple of years. The stars aligned earlier this year (around April), and I bought a silver 2011 LX from a one-owner in Texas (more about that in the next post).

Why am I doing this build thread?
  1. To further connect with (and hopefully give something back to) the IH8MUD community. We live in Northern CA (San Jose). It would be great to meet some local folks and go on adventures.
  2. Learn something. I’ll have questions along the way, especially about particular mods I’ve made or will be making.
  3. Have fun doing it. Building out and wrenching on my rig is one of my main hobbies these days.
  4. Posterity. Might be fun to years later to look back on this thread. If I pass the LX on to one of my kids, I’ll share the thread and they can have the history of the rig :)
I take inspiration from @1world1love 's awesome build thread. Like him, I plan to include some pics from some of our family's adventures.

What is my build philosophy?
  • Keep it stock unless there is a compelling reason to upgrade.
  • When considering an upgrade/mod, here is my general criteria (in order of importance):
    • Utility (most important)
    • Reliability
    • Aesthetics
    • Lowest cost option (least important)
The mods that meet my criteria? Here they are:
  • Offroad tires
  • Wheels
  • Sliders
  • Roof rack
  • Drawers / sleeping platform
With that, let’s start things off...

tempImagejRQWc3.png

tempImageBCHDXa.png

The Hunt

I figured it would take me 3-6 months of hunting to find my vehicle because I'm very particular about my vehicles, combined with the fact that the 200 series market was hot (and remains so). I started looking intensively in March and got lucky quite quickly. I had a DM thread with some others on Mud that were also searching; we exchanged tips and listings. Huge hat tip to @Trusty Rusty who passed on a Houston Craigslist listing to me just hours after it was posted.

The ad was for a one-owner silver LX (125k miles) in Houston, all dealer serviced and extremely well cared for. The asking price was a bit under market. I immediately contacted the owner and told her I would buy it at asking price if it passed an inspection at my expense. She said ok. After we had this verbal handshake, her phone started blowing up with other private buyers and dealers that wanted it. True to her word, she completed the deal with me, which involved me arranging shipping from Houston to San Jose.

The prior owner was a real estate agent and had taken meticulous care of the vehicle. Dealer performed all services, right on schedule. Mere months prior to sale, she even replaced the battery, tires, and had the leather seats reconditioned.

Below is a picture of it coming off the shipping truck, and in our driveway.

Did I mention I’m particular about my vehicles? Part of my baseline process includes having a professional steam clean of the undercarriage and engine compartment so I can check for any leaks and do initial wrenching without getting filthy. Picture of that below too.

Why an LX and not an LC? I’m a value buyer. I couldn’t justify the ~$5k price difference between the LX and the LC. Plus the LXs I saw tended to be better cared for (on average). The $5k I saved will pay for at least half of my mods. I’ve also come to view AHC an advantage (at least for how I use the truck), rather than something to be scared of. Big thank you to @supercarrera for explaining to me the virtues of the LX and AHC (on an incredible Death Valley trip we did with a local club just about a year ago).

The downside of the LX is of course the bling and the Lexus "image,” which frankly, doesn’t suit me. I’ll deal with it. I’m mostly over it at this point. My wife is the only one who gives me trouble. Every time I call it “the Land Cruiser,” she immediately reminds me “it’s not a Land Cruiser:rolleyes:). I've been going with @tbisaacs tagline: “it’s basically a Land Cruiser."

truck.jpg

tempImage0mGm6q.png

tempImageLGVjYx.png

The Hunt

I figured it would take me 3-6 months of hunting to find my vehicle because I'm very particular about my vehicles, combined with the fact that the 200 series market was hot (and remains so). I started looking intensively in March and got lucky quite quickly. I had a DM thread with some others on Mud that were also searching; we exchanged tips and listings. Huge hat tip to @Trusty Rusty who passed on a Houston Craigslist listing to me just hours after it was posted.

The ad was for a one-owner silver LX (125k miles) in Houston, all dealer serviced and extremely well cared for. The asking price was a bit under market. I immediately contacted the owner and told her I would buy it at asking price if it passed an inspection at my expense. She said ok. After we had this verbal handshake, her phone started blowing up with other private buyers and dealers that wanted it. True to her word, she completed the deal with me, which involved me arranging shipping from Houston to San Jose.

The prior owner was a real estate agent and had taken meticulous care of the vehicle. Dealer performed all services, right on schedule. Mere months prior to sale, she even replaced the battery, tires, and had the leather seats reconditioned.

Below is a picture of it coming off the shipping truck, and in our driveway.

Did I mention I’m particular about my vehicles? Part of my baseline process includes having a professional steam clean of the undercarriage and engine compartment so I can check for any leaks and do initial wrenching without getting filthy. Picture of that below too.

Why an LX and not an LC? I’m a value buyer. I couldn’t justify the ~$5k price difference between the LX and the LC. Plus the LXs I saw tended to be better cared for (on average). The $5k I saved will pay for at least half of my mods. I’ve also come to view AHC an advantage (at least for how I use the truck), rather than something to be scared of. Big thank you to @supercarrera for explaining to me the virtues of the LX and AHC (on an incredible Death Valley trip we did with a local club just about a year ago).

The downside of the LX is of course the bling and the Lexus "image,” which frankly, doesn’t suit me. I’ll deal with it. I’m mostly over it at this point. My wife is the only one who gives me trouble. Every time I call it “the Land Cruiser,” she immediately reminds me “it’s not a Land Cruiser:rolleyes:). I've been going with @tbisaacs tagline: “it’s basically a Land Cruiser."

View attachment 2839439

View attachment 2839440

View attachment 2839441
Congrats 🎊🍾🎉

@1world1love — looking forward to hittin’ the trail together!

First Road Trip

Within a month of buying the LX, we went on a cross country trip from San Jose to Minnesota, and then on to Toronto. Silver lining of the pandemic: working remote and spending about 2 months living with or near our families.

As we started packing up for such a long trip, it became clear that the third row seats were going to have to come out. So, I suppose the first "mod" I made was deleting the rear seats (temporarily). After reading some of the threads here on Mud, I got them out fairly easily. (I’ve since put them back in since we need the third row from time to time.)

The LX made the 2,800 mile trip (and back) like a champ. Incredible cruiser on the highway. Comfortable, roomy, quiet, plenty of power. And the gas mileage wasn’t terrible (for an LC). In fact, we were hitting 20MPG (or better!) during segments of the trip, especially when at a bit of elevation (due to the leaner fuel mixture, I’m told). Our record was 24MPG. Average was of course significantly less than that.

Two pictures attached. First one is all our stuff as we’re getting ready to head out. Second one captures a highlight of our road trip stops: the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. Let my 11 year old son got to drive for the first time (in my lap).

tempImage4EOhNX.png

tempImagezcQtg3.png

@ThreeSix - I go to San Jose Auto Steam Cleaning on Stockton Ave. (Near downtown). Family owned, great guys. Not cheap but they do great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom