Grumbling noise? Baseball card in spokes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my MIL 07 FJ with a tear diff that has been replaced within past 9mo is making some proportionate to speed noises. Folks she asks says it’s road noise from mismatched tires but I’m not certain. I had it out on some snow over Christmas and the noise persisted. I assumed it would diminish noise if the friction tween tire and road was decreased? It never made this noise before, and she’s super wishy washy with what I would call important maintenance, so I don’t know if it’s something as simple as low gear oil or a 4wd component wearing?

Oh I feel like I hear it coming More from the front than rear, but I can’t be certain... that’s why rear diff being replaced isn’t top on list. It started so after that, so Maybe u joint or something that was disconnected for that procedure?

Check the u-joints for certain. Usually you can tell based on the "speed" of the sound whether it's tire noise versus gear or drive shaft noise. While RPMs are the same, the "linear speed" of the wheels is slower than those other smaller parts.

Could move rear tires to front and front to back and see if any changes or what role tires play in it.
Can stick your finger in rear diff and check fluid level.
If a dealer did the rear end work I would take to them and say that’s what you think it is and they installed the replacement. Let them diagnose it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom