Grrr when backing and turning wheel - CV Shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

Title describes it all. When I back out of my garage, I need to turn the wheel. When I do, I get a "grrrr" until I change the angle of the front tires or go forward. I can also get it going forward if turned to lock.

I'm assuming this means I'm ready for new CV but how can I determine if one side or both? I've checked and I don't see any grease slung out, broken boots, etc. Truck has 140K on the clock.

Thanks to all!
Jeff

Hi All -

Title describes it all. When I back out of my garage, I need to turn the wheel. When I do, I get a "grrrr" until I change the angle of the front tires or go forward. I can also get it going forward if turned to lock.

I'm assuming this means I'm ready for new CV but how can I determine if one side or both? I've checked and I don't see any grease slung out, broken boots, etc. Truck has 140K on the clock.

Thanks to all!
Jeff
Are you positive it's not tires on mud flaps or KDSS Bar? Suggest you look for shiny spots or stop immediately when it starts and inspect.

Seems like CVs usually click, not grrrr, but I could be wrong. I'd look for contact. Maybe check wheel bearings, they can growl sometimes.

Checked tonight, no signs of rubbing. Not sure what to look for next?

I should note - I'm stock as stock can be - rims, tire size, etc.

Checked tonight, no signs of rubbing. Not sure what to look for next?

I should note - I'm stock as stock can be - rims, tire size, etc.

Let it “grrr” some more… then hop out and look for smooth, or dark, or slightly melted plastic wheel skirting, or the small mud-flap tab-looking protrusion in front of front tires…orthe lower orner of body or mud flap to our corner behind front tires.

CVs normally click. Bearings groan or growl but more often they’re really loud on the highway, not making noise when parking

I suspect something plastic is loose and rubbing, especially if it really just happens when you’re turning the wheel

Hi All -

Thanks to all!
Jeff

I've had on random occasions a clicking from the front wheel areas when turned to full lock going very slowly. Usually going in or out of parking spots from memory. Not sure what your grrr sounds like but I assumed mine was something with the traction control perhaps thinking it was slipping. I get it on my 4runner at times as well thus I presume it's not anything broken. Both 2018s and both stock. I guess it could be mud flap contact with tire I hadn't thought of that since both have stock size tires still.

Thanks all - I will do it again and snap a few pics!

If you continue to have problems isolating this noise these can be very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom