Grrr... Tailgate hinges....what the ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
I won a set of hinges from 65-fj45 at the Christmas drawing for "Tailgate hinge give away"..I was very..very happy to have won these and really needed them...so I cut off the old POs hinge butcher job and preped the new hinges..and....??? where they different hinges for different hinges for different years?? do I have a later/earlier tailgate than for my rig its a 3 hinge gate?

DSCN2755.jpg

Not sure on the years, but some early hinges have the two 'bed-side' mounting holes horizontal. Looks like the ones you won have these mounting holes vertical. I *think* the ones with the horizontal holes is what you need b/c they are slightly wider.

Not sure on the years, but some early hinges have the two 'bed-side' mounting holes horizontal. Looks like the ones you won have these mounting holes vertical. I *think* the ones with the horizontal holes is what you need b/c they are slightly wider.

not in this case....unless the tailgate was not the origional??

Chris,
The spacing pictured is for a late model tailgate hinge. I have a late model hinge here and if I over lap the early and late hinge it looks like your picture. I PM'd you my cell number, give me a call. Does the lower portion of the hinge line up with the holes on the body?
Mike

Tailgate / Hindge questions for the 45 Guru's

I have a 1966 Fj45 LWB, reciently got a set of aftermarket hinges (Much thanks Mike)...but seem to have come across an unusual problem...Seems my tailgate mounting holes are not where they should be??

DSCN2765-1.jpg

The tailgate holes are 1 3/8s

DSCN2764-1.jpg

Hinges are 1 3/16s

The aftermarket hinges have been sold for a while with no complaints on fitment..so these should be correct

The history of the bed and tailgate are unknown -

The tailgate looks to be OEM and is a 3 hinge gate
The bed is also a 3 hinge bed with the mounting holes in vertical placement.

Which measurement is correct? From info gathered the bolt hole distance in the tailgate is what it should be for a later 4 hinge gate but mine is only a 3 hinge gate??

Last edited:
Man, that hurts. The winner of the hinges actually needed hinges from the later model. Now you will have to re hack to get them to work since it appears they are not the original.

Chris,

There are several different hinge/tailgate/valence combos.

The earliest had 30mm(1-3/16 inch) tailgate hole spacing and 30mm VERTICAL valence spacing.

Then there were 35mm(1-3/8 inch) tailgate spacing and 35mm HORIZONTAL valence spacing.
These latter hinges were in use on both three and four-hinge tailgate/valences.

I believe your tailgate was replace at sometime in the truck's life. The earliest trucks had a loose double-threaded nut-plate behind each valence mount, although they were often welded to the back of the valence, and the very latest of the 4-hinge models had captured nuts welded to bracketry at the rear of the valence.

As the valence is easier to redrill, how about using the later hinges?

Man, that hurts. The winner of the hinges actually needed hinges from the later model. Now you will have to re hack to get them to work since it appears they are not the original.

Hurts is an understatement :bang:... I am so happy to have won these...But after talking to Mike (65 FJ45) we are unsure what the problem is??? See my other post in this section

Thx C

As the valence is easier to redrill, how about using the later hinges?

Looks like thats the direction Im headed...

So.... as you can see the measurements in the pics...what year do you think the tailgate is?? being the wider span between bolt holes - yet still being a 3 hinge gate??

Thanks Bear

C

Oddly I have seen both style hinges on three-hinged tailgates on "1967" pickups.
Other differences are with the tailgate latches.

The only time you'd ever notice anything is when parts got added/subtracted over all the intervening years.
The way either Toyota dated /or the US states registered these vehicles, doesn't tell the true date of manufacture. Unsold and undelivered trucks sat on both sides of the Pacific. Actual serial numbers would tell the cutoff/change dates for most of the parts differences.

You should be able to find some of the later hinges and just redrill the valence to accommodate them.
HTH

Hurts is an understatement :bang:... I am so happy to have won these...But after talking to Mike (65 FJ45) we are unsure what the problem is??? See my other post in this section

Thx C

Well, if you do not use them you can always pull a name from the hat as an Easter present ? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom