Growling noise behind dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 fzj80, moms Cruiser, called and said it made a funny noise behind the dash(passanger side) when she was driving it, actally coming to a stop or maybe she was stoped. she brought it by my place(I'm home under doctors orders for a day or two) and it made the noise once(for maybe 5 sec) when she turned it off. She has never heard the noise before. I had my head under the hood when it made the noise and it wasnt coming from there. It's not the vents, or the antenna going up, but something maybe behind the glove box. We were not able to get it to make the noise again

any clues?

BTW last week it started to run rough.....sometimes(but no certain time) I took it out for a drive sunday it was fine. Sense then it hasn't done it again......

Had it sense new, all service needed was done at proper times, only thing we didn't do last year was new plug wires. Has 70k on it. No check engine light on.

I know very little about the new fangled 4.5ltr 80 series.

John H

John,

You certain it's not the antenae? Mine recently broke, but the motor still works, it just doesn't retract the antenae anymore (have a new one just haven't installed it yet). It made some really weird noises before it broke. It did that for a couple days, then it just stopped lowering the mast.

I would be VERY interested in what you find out since I have the same year.

keep me posted. :)

Scott

John,

There are a couple things in the dash that could be doing that. There are a couple servos that do the mode switching in the heater box and there is a small cooling fan that is mounted above the radio. Also there is a normal sort of a momentary motor kind of sound that you get every time you shut the engine off. That one eminates more from the left side though. It is also possible that the blower motor is growling off and on. I replaced my blower motor last winter because it started squaking at me from time to time. I don't know if any of this helps, I'll shut up now and think about it more.

Dan.

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=2;threadid=5161;start=msg39976#msg39976 date=1063231555]
John,

You certain it's not the antenae? Mine recently broke, but the motor still works, it just doesn't retract the antenae anymore (have a new one just haven't installed it yet). It made some really weird noises before it broke. It did that for a couple days, then it just stopped lowering the mast.

I would be VERY interested in what you find out since I have the same year.

keep me posted. :)

positive it's not the antenna I ran it up and down.....not the same noise and she didn't have the radio on(she never does) Moms pretty darn observant(for a lady ;) when she says its a new noise I belieive her. I ran the vents as well, I can here a noise(like you should) but its not the same. So whats behind the dash that make a noise that growls(oh no it's Junk stuck back there :) and last for 5 or so seconds? If I was feeling more limber I would have pulled the glove box and looked....

John

Scott
[/quote]

My 95 had the dash out, to fit the cage, so Im not 100% on whats there, arent any vacuum lines for heater controls or other there which could be leaking? brake booster?

This may also explain the rough idle, if it sucks air from the vacuum leak?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5161;start=msg39978#msg39978 date=1063231993]
John,

There are a couple things in the dash that could be doing that. There are a couple servos that do the mode switching in the heater box and there is a small cooling fan that is mounted above the radio. Also there is a normal sort of a momentary motor kind of sound that you get every time you shut the engine off. That one eminates more from the left side though. It is also possible that the blower motor is growling off and on. I replaced my blower motor last winter because it started squaking at me from time to time. I don't know if any of this helps, I'll shut up now and think about it more.

Dan.
[/quote]

I could here the servos for the vents modes,(its a auto climate controll version, 40th anv) I kinda think the blower would be about the right place, but when I ran the fan off auto and changed the speeds it was all normal noises. I kinda think it's something with the auto climate controll.......somehow.

my 1st guess when she called was the ABS pump that my head was right next to it when it made the noise behind the dash, couldn't hear a thing under the hood. Guess it's time for her to get it looked at, fixed and sell it to me for 5k :D

John,

The cooling fan for the radio always runs with the key on if the radio is on or not. I don't know if that is your noise but don't discount it because the radio is off.

D-

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=5161;start=msg39981#msg39981 date=1063232373]
Guess it's time for her to get it looked at, fixed and sell it to me for 5k :D
[/quote]

I am gonna puke if you get that rig for 5K, family or not ::)

Did you recently lose a small dog?

That is my worthless input on this matter... ::)

the infamous TLC Badger strikes again!

(sorry, couldn't help it)

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=5161;start=msg40158#msg40158 date=1063253162]
Did you recently lose a small dog?

That is my worthless input on this matter... ::)
[/quote]

No butt I hear Junk lost one of his gerbil's :flipoff2:

I dunno it's a pretty loud noise, I'll take it for a drive today and see if I can hear it again. Whatever it is mom has never heard it in the 6 years she has had the Cruiser........and I can't say I have either. Darren might be on to something but the noise is on right side, the booster is on the left.

I'll play with it somemore.

John

C-dan,

You say there is a small fan above the radio? I have had my cruiser, well lets just say dismantled and I don't recall seeing a smll fan to cool the radio. Parts pic please???

Yomama

Yo,

Yup, there be one in there. I'll print the diagram off and take it home with me and scan it for you.

D-

OK,

Suits me, one less thing to do before the Scout meeting ;)

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=5161;start=msg40265#msg40265 date=1063292787]

I'll play with it somemore.

John
[/quote]

That probably won't solve your noise from the dash... :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom