Group consensus on this imported LC80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully this is the right place for this. Just had a PPI done on an imported (Japan to US) 1HD-FT, pics here: PPI photos:

Generally it looks pretty clean inside and out but a bit more cosmetic damage than I was expecting for the price point and mileage (75K). I’m going to hold on sharing the price because I’m curious what you guys would pay and if you see anything alarming.

Bet you are paying a lot for it

Eh. Most of the cosmetic damage is to the bumpers. Few around here would care about that. As for the paint scratches, compare that to the sun-blasted clearcoat that most of the US cruisers tend to have.

Why are the brake calipers so rusty? It seems like the rest of the undercarriage is rust-free, but maybe someone painted everything.

And what's the deal with the rusting exhaust? Unless it's an aftermarket "upgrade", I don't see why you'd need to replace the factory exhaust at such low mileage. Unless, again, it's secretly a rust bucket.

I haven't paid attention to the import market in years. When I did, that would be something like $15k before transportation and customs costs. Now with Pandemic Pricing, BAT, and Facebook "overlanding" goobers, it's probably a $30k truck.

Eh. Most of the cosmetic damage is to the bumpers. Few around here would care about that. As for the paint scratches, compare that to the sun-blasted clearcoat that most of the US cruisers tend to have.

Why are the brake calipers so rusty? It seems like the rest of the undercarriage is rust-free, but maybe someone painted everything.

And what's the deal with the rusting exhaust? Unless it's an aftermarket "upgrade", I don't see why you'd need to replace the factory exhaust at such low mileage. Unless, again, it's secretly a rust bucket.

I haven't paid attention to the import market in years. When I did, that would be something like $15k before transportation and customs costs. Now with Pandemic Pricing, BAT, and Facebook "overlanding" goobers, it's probably a $30k truck.
Bingo. I've been watching prices tick up over the last 2 years, might pull the trigger.

That could be the original state of the undercarriage given that 75k is very low miles but man my gut is telling me that's been resprayed. looks like paint flaking on the rubber bump stops and the Toyota factory paint doesn't look so bumpy.

I own a '95 HDJ81 with a 1HD-FT, just a bit more mileage than this one - can't see anything out of the ordinary glancing through the photos and the cosmetic damage would be a none-issue for me. My OEM aluminized exhaust is also rusty and soon will be replaced.

These engines are highly sought after, more so than its predecessor of the 1HD-T in my opinion. A set of five OEM wheels with a tire carrier are nice pluses too, as the weight to strength ratio of the wheels is hard to beat.

Asking for a consensus on this forum is like asking for a......

Personally I say send it, YOLO!!!!

I ended up passing. Price point is too high for something that needs a bunch of basic maintenance out of the gate. New tires, batteries, oil, etc. On the heels of a BaT auction for a truck with the same mileage plus a bunch of upgrades that went for $5K less.

My 124,000 hdj81 is clean underneath but the exhaust was rotting off.

I ended up passing. Price point is too high for something that needs a bunch of basic maintenance out of the gate. New tires, batteries, oil, etc. On the heels of a BaT auction for a truck with the same mileage plus a bunch of upgrades that went for $5K less.
Vast majority of the 80 series these days are going to need a good bit more than just basic maintenance, import or not. If you're buying a 25+ yr old vehicle be prepared for it. There will be a lot of labor, parts and costs involved likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom