Group Buy Opportunity: Torro Offroad Hard Shell Roof Top Tent. 10-15% discount. 7 Feb deadline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
Last weekend I went and checked out a RTT from a seller local toe in Virginia, Torro Offroad. He is importing ikamper Skycamp style RTTs from China. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of materials, construction and fit and finish of the tent. It is high quality and, IMHO, a solid deal. I am a cheap bastard and it's saying something if I am going to drop $3K on a piece of gear.

He has done his research and hooked up with a good manufacturer.
Like I said, he is a local guy in the Alexandria/Arlington area. He is getting established and has sold and delivered several tents.

I had been torturing myself over the possibility of buying an ikamper RTT, but the price of the tent and then the additional cost of the annex and awning was keeping me from pulling the trigger. I started looking around for similar style tents and found this one. The fact that I could put my hands on it, open it up and sit/lay in it was just what I needed to do to help me make the decision.
I am ordering one this month, and in talking with him, I thought there might be an opportunity to get a break on the pricing, so I offered to setup a group buy to help him fill his shipping container and us to get a price break.

The Tent:
He has 2 sizes of RTT, one that fits 2-3 and one that fits 4. The package includes 2 hanging shoe/gear bags, quilted winter insulation liner, awning with poles AND the annex with poles, all of which you would have to order separately if you bought an ikamper Skycamp; plus, purchasing all those additional items would make the total cost $5400. We can save between $2300 and $2500.

Tent Specs:

SkyLux Bantam (2-3 person) Specs:
Open: 4'10" x 6'11"
Closed: 4'10 x 4ft
Weight: 121 lbs

SkyLux (4 person) Specs:
Open: 6'3" x 7'3"
Closed: 6'3" x 4'7"
Weight: 150 lbs

The Deal:
10% to 15% discount, depending on how many are ordered with the discount code "IH8MUD"
The package includes 2 hanging shoe/gear bags, quilted winter insulation, the awning with poles AND the annex with poles, for $3400 (full size tent) or $2997 (Bantam size tent) (not including the 10%-15% group discount if we can get 5 or more peeps to order).
If we get 5 -14 buyers (or close), the discount is 10% and if we get 15 or more buyers, the discount is 15%;.

The Math:
Skylux full size:
10% discount = $3060
15% discount = $2890

Skylux Bantam
10% discount = $2697
15% discount = $2548

If we get 5 people to order tents BEFORE 7 FEBRUARY, we all get 10% off; 15 or more and we save 15%. Plus it is free shipping to your door.

The 'mud member discount code is "IH8MUD". He will automatically apply the appropriate discount code, once the sales hit the appropriate gates.

Also, if you are around Northern Virginia and want to see and touch the tent before committing, he is happy to meet and show it off, so we can check it out in person. I can schedule a meetup with him pretty easily.

The owner's name is Corey and he wanted me to post his tech number to answer any questions.
1-888-585-1245

Post up if you are interested or have questions. You can also PM me.

Pics:
IMG_20200112_131902.jpg

IMG_20200112_125341.jpg

IMG_20200112_122014.jpg

IMG_20200112_130918.jpg

Try posting at Expedition Portal too.

Try posting at Expedition Portal too.
Thanks. I was going to do just that, but they don't generally allow group buys. I will reach out to their admin and ask since I'm not the actual seller.

How’s this different than Tuff Stuff Alpha or Roofnest?

I think they are all rebranded made in China gear.
Ikamper I believe is manufactured in Korean. So the quality and material might or might not be the same as the China stuff.

I'm sorry but that is not a $2k tent. Just the latches scream cheap, those should all at a minimum be solid stainless pieces without webbing or other materials to fail. My suggestion is to keep looking and find something better for your hard earned money.

Looks at the CVT hard shell tents that are the same price. It makes that tent look like something from Walmart.

How’s this different than Tuff Stuff Alpha or Roofnest?

I think they are all rebranded made in China gear.
Ikamper I believe is manufactured in Korean. So the quality and material might or might not be the same as the China stuff.

From my discussion with Corey, the owner, the Tuff Stuff tent is just a spec Chinese that they offer on alibaba. Corey is working with a specific manufacturer which allows him to make specific design decisions.

Tuff Stuff, among other design differences, has smaller half dome windows with no window awnings, nor does it have the extended ladder, awning or annex.

My response to similar question on another board:

I surfed alibaba as well, when I started looking at the ikamper. It quickly became apparent that the quality was all over the map and it wasn't worth my time to try to filter the good from the bad, Did you factor in the added costs for shipping, brokerage and customs? I didn't see your costs for the annex, awning and winter insulation. I'm not here to debate whether or not one can get the same tent for cheaper... There is always a cheaper option, IF you are willing to put in the time, due diligence, and are willing to accept the risk. I'm fairly certain those Chinese suppliers don't offer a 90 satisfaction guarantee or a 3 year warranty. Those are factors I take into consideration when assessing the value, to me, of a high cost item I am looking to purchase.
That's a sweet striped mattress cover, btw.

From my discussions with Corey, the vendor, he has done his due diligence with the supplier and incorporated addition features (such as taped seams, led lighting inside and out, gear bags, and the awning and annex) into these tents not provided on the average tent found on alibaba.

I have no affiliation with this vendor, other than my interest in the tent, getting a discount and helping a local guy succeed.

The Skycamp is $3900, for the tent alone. When you add all the extra's in this deal, the cost of the Skycamp climbs to around $5400... One could almost buy 2 of the Torro tents for that much money.

That's why I haven't bought the ikamper. There are a couple aspects of the ikamper that i don't like and couldn't see paying that cost for. For example, the hanging gear bags hang way under the edger of the panel, to the point where one risks falling out of the tent when trying to access them from the tent; the thinner, 2 piece mattress.

I'm sorry but that is not a $2k tent. Just the latches scream cheap, those should all at a minimum be solid stainless pieces without webbing or other materials to fail. My suggestion is to keep looking and find something better for your hard earned money.

Looks at the CVT hard shell tents that are the same price. It makes that tent look like something from Walmart.

WOW! You must have some super human powers to judge the quality of an entire product by one of its features...

I remarked to Corey about the latches as well, and he was taking my input to the manufacturer... I don't know if it will change, but I already identified my solution, should I decide I don't like the supplied latches.

Does it make you feel like a big deal to wander around 'mud and take a dump in someone else's thread?

How about taking it down a notch and be respectful in your posts, rather than just jumping in and slagging a product when you have ZERO first hand knowledge of its quality?

I've happily put my money down on this tent; and I will give a full, unbiased review when I put it to use.

-Stump

The ikamper promo video claims r&d and product durability tests. How much they actually do if at all is anyone’s guess. No way for me to verify. But it’s a claim that no other hard shell expandable/Unfolding rtt maker is making.

really limited reviews on roofnest, tuffstuff, and torro. Ikamper seems to have the market and was first to market

The ikamper promo video claims r&d and product durability tests. How much they actually do if at all is anyone’s guess. No way for me to verify. But it’s a claim that no other hard shell expandable/Unfolding rtt maker is making.

really limited reviews on roofnest, tuffstuff, and torro. Ikamper seems to have the market and was first to market

Yeah, and just like IBM, other companies capitalize on the lessons learned from the 1st company to market.
These things aren't rocket science and I'll bet much of the material used by ikamper to build their tents is sourced from China.
Where do you think most RTTs are manufactured?
If a vendor finds a reputable manufacturer and builds a rapport with them to the point he can direct the features and quality of the product, that's about all you can ask, right?
Oh, does Ikamper, or any of the others offer a 90 satisfaction guarantee, or a 3 year warranty?
The fabric weights and specs used in these tents, awnings and annexes is the same as ikamper.

Yeah, and just like IBM, other companies capitalize on the lessons learned from the 1st company to market.
These things aren't rocket science and I'll bet much of the material used by ikamper to build their tents is sourced from China.
Where do you think most RTTs are manufactured?
If a vendor finds a reputable manufacturer and builds a rapport with them to the point he can direct the features and quality of the product, that's about all you can ask, right?
Oh, does Ikamper, or any of the others offer a 90 satisfaction guarantee, or a 3 year warranty?
The fabric weights and specs used in these tents, awnings and annexes is the same as ikamper.

reviewing authentic customer reviews, length of time on the market and the company's customer service and warranty is what we can rely on.

fyi Here's ikamper's warranty taken from their website:
iKamper Rooftop Tent Warranty
2 Year Warranty

For 2 years from the date of purchase, iKamper will repair or replace (at our option) defective parts at no cost to the customer.
Extended 3 Year Warranty
For 5 years from the date of purchase, iKamper will repair or replace (at our option) defective parts at a minimum cost (production cost). Shipping is covered by the customer.
Our warranty does not cover all issues, such as the ones below:

• UV damage: ultra-violet damage to fabric. The gel coat on the Skycamp shell is covered by a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase.

• Normal wear and tear, cosmetic blemishes occurring as a result of use (vinyl window discoloration, scratches/dents on the roof top tent top, etc).

• Aesthetic changes that do not affect the general operation of the roof top tent.

Hmmm, 1 year on the gel coat... Got it.
How did ikamper raise $2m on Kickstarter with little to no time on the market and few reviews?
People with cash deemed it an acceptable risk.
I get it, everyone has an acceptable level of risk and this is above yours that's fine, but that doesn't mean you should stomp around in someone else's thread slamming a product you know nothing about.
I/We get it, you're not interested in this product. Go find somewhere else to spend your time and online energy.

Seems the deal gets better and better:
Looks like he is addressing the latch issue...
I'll take the "risk" on this product for under $3K with this kind of customer service.

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to let you know that we haven't begun shipping just yet. We're not wasting any time though. This time was used to add some new key features to your RTT, and Annex Room. You'll be getting:
  • A new rugged (more durable) matte black hardshell (We don't have a white mold yet - sorry)
  • Side straps to help reign in excess material, so you won't have to manually tuck in your tent's material
  • Also, you'll be getting the new PVC Flooring for the Annex Room that will zip to the bottom liner, so it won't be exposed to the outside at all
  • Last but not least, (if the wait continues) we'll be adding a stainless steel hard lock/key to the front of the hardshell for security
You will not be paying for any of these upgrades as I hope they encourage you to hang in there. As Int'l logistics begin to normalize soon, we'll be scheduling freight shipment and distribution. I truly appreciate your patience and support.

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

well its also doesn't have the rail guides integrated into the structure like all the quality tents. Look at other tents, they are completely flat on the bottom. Also , are those bags to collect water when it rains because that's what they will do.

I'm not asserting I'm some kind of expert but I've had hard shell RTTs and these are to me indications of the overall quality of the product and design.

sorry you don't want to hear the facts but good luck with whatever you buy/sell.

Last edited:
well its also doesn't have the rail guides integrated into the structure like all the quality tents. Look at other tents, they are completely flat on the bottom. Also , are those bags to collect water when it rains because that's what they will do.

I'm not asserting I'm some kind of expert but I've had hard shell RTTs and these are to me indications of the overall quality of the product and design.

sorry you don't want to hear the facts but good luck with whatever you buy/sell.

What rail guides are you talking about?
These?
Install_pic_850x.jpg

or these?
bolts.jpg

or maybe these?
0nadb41FTqOhKjMmUyR5_MOUNTING-BRACKETS_02_2000x.jpg

Those are the reputable tent companies of:
1.Tepui
2. CVT
3. Ikamper

The bags have covers. That's the shiny rolled up stuff held by the velcro at the top of the bags. And they are a hell of a lot easier to access from the tent than the ikamper's, which are like 12" from the outside edge and right in the way for anyone walking between the ladder and the rig. The rail runs along every edge of the tent platform so one could make up their own accessories and hang them from the rails. All one needs is a dowel and some string or fabric and it would slide in just like the front of an OEM softop. Oh, and those bags are included, they aren't $60-$70 EXTRA on top of the tent.

Again, we get it, this ain't the tent for you. Unless you have some ulterior motive for continuing to spout your uninformed opinions. Go drop $5400 on an Ikamper and all the accessories, while I spend the $2500 I saved on a suspension and bedrack.

Good luck in your search for the perfect tent...

Anyway, two of the three you show are soft tents but I wouldn't expect you to notice that. Also, you can buy a Magnolia Autohome for these prices, integrated channels, stainless hardwear, etc...$3000 for a small and $3300 for the largest one they make.

I have and use a CVT Mount St. Helen that I paid less for than this tent and none of those deficiencies are present.

I'm just saying look around before you go for this tent. I've seen others buy these Chinese knockoffs and not one I've see in person is near the quality or has been thought out as well as any of the major manufactures hard shell tents when seen side by side.

I'm done, good luck, best wishes, have a great day!

Anyway, two of the three you show are soft tents but I wouldn't expect you to notice that. Also, you can buy a Magnolia Autohome for these prices, integrated channels, stainless hardwear, etc...$3000 for a small and $3300 for the largest one they make.

I have and use a CVT Mount St. Helen that I paid less for than this tent and none of those deficiencies are present.

I'm just saying look around before you go for this tent. I've seen others buy these Chinese knockoffs and not one I've see in person is near the quality or has been thought out as well as any of the major manufactures hard shell tents when seen side by side.

I'm done, good luck, best wishes, have a great day!
Would have been too much to ask to start your comments in this thread like your final post?

Nice, 2 passive aggressive jabs in one thread that you just had to jump into and be an a$$hole.
You said quality tents with no reference to style. But, I guess I should have expected you to ignore that detail.
And those tents you identify don't meet my needs criteria.
You go on and spend your money how you wish.
Good day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom