Group Buy Opportunity: Torro Offroad Hard Shell Roof Top Tent. 10-15% discount. 7 Feb deadline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, it's (almost) here. I received UPS shipment notification confirming delivery next TUE 3/23. It's been an anxious long wait @ 13 weeks (To be fair, some customers on FB posted their purchases taking 6-months!) and all related to long delays due to the world pandemic. My wait seems 'short' by comparison. People are reporting good experiences so far re: shipping and unboxing, with some minor issues like missing keys, and some "instructions." Nothing YouTube can't fix and a trip to ACE Hardware for $15.00. I assume I'll be doing the self-sticking 12 x 12 carpet tiles right off the bat to aid with condensation. We'll see. They now SHOULD have some RTTs in stock for a little while, if anybody else was interested.

Mine is #1321
Ok, interesting....in one hand is nice to see they keep selling (your Order#1321 is a long way from mine in the 1280s, and I only ordered mid-December), but in the other hand is going to be interesting to see how many orders they can fulfill with this shipment that just arrived @ Long Beach Port.

I can tell you some ppl were not happy about their delay, but everybody kinda understands it was/is due to Covid19 and not some shady business dealing by @TorroOffRoad. The company is legit and so are the RTTs.
From speaking to other ppl on FB, I learned some of them had placed their orders in very early September 2020, but unfortunately JUST got their shipping notifications this week. So in essense, my order from mid-December and their orders from early-September arrived at the same time. I consider myself lucky at this point.

Stay tuned to your email. They've done texts too, from both/either, Torro and UPS! Keep the faith!

@JCS2179 Did you receive the tent? Is the quilted winter insulation included?
Hey, YES I finally received the RTT. The box itself was pretty beat up (that's on UPS, not TorroOffRoad) but it SEEMS that still everything in one piece. So yes, the insulated quilted panels are included and they were in a separate box. The awning was also included and it was also in a separate box. The (huge!) RTT box itself contained a small box with all the brackets, hardware, a canvas-fix kit, the manual, the LED light connector/switch, and crossbar end caps- a nice touch. **SOME ppl complained of not receiving the manual (I did, but most did NOT), and ****NONE OF US got the keys to the latches the RTT now has. A big oversight on their part. TorroOffRoad claims they are working on sending keys to EVERY customer that was in this imported batch.
The latches are very flimsy, and only basically work to keep the RTT closed. Anything from a scribe to a ballpoint pen can easily defeat the simple mechanism, and some of us already bought a simple key-kit from Amazon for $17.00 in case there is more delays.
A LOT of ppl on the forum were not happy with the company because of the extreme delay. It was hard to keep the faith at times, but the RTTs were bought and paid for by T/O at a time when we were all being told the Pandemic was basically being handled, so it is difficult to just lay blame. While I "only" waited 13 weeks for mine (I knew the lead time was "8-10 weeks" when I ordered!), a lot of folks on the forum ordered theirs very early in September and those guys ended it up waiting literally SIX MONTHS! I dunno....it's a cycle. There is shipping involved. There are customs. There's an ocean in between us. There was/is a pandemic. People were dying. I do get it. It's hard to come up with a black and white 'review' of the company, when the world is moving with no steering wheel. Well, it's here now, so that's what counts....

For now I can tell you the insulation panels and awning look great; have not fit them yet. The RTT itself 'looks' great. Still in the box mostly as I don't have keys and I don't want to force the latches open.....(also, effing Rhino Rack hasnt sent me the keys to the new low-profile legs I bought for the roof rack, so I cant install those either FML! So my awesome RTT sits on my home-made hoist waiting to go up on my Jeep!

thumbnail_20210323_100450.jpg

thumbnail_20210323_100458.jpg

thumbnail_20210323_100519.jpg

thumbnail_20210323_172459.jpg

That sucks about the keys, but you don't need the tent keys to mount the tent. I wouldn't unlock and open it before I had it mounted on my rig anyway. If the "locks are like the ones I have, they are a joke and yeah, they are only a "failsafe" to ensure the tent doesn't blow open, though I don't know how someone could forget to strap the velcro and latch the lock.

That sucks about the keys, but you don't need the tent keys to mount the tent. I wouldn't unlock and open it before I had it mounted on my rig anyway. If the "locks are like the ones I have, they are a joke and yeah, they are only a "failsafe" to ensure the tent doesn't blow open, though I don't know how someone could forget to strap the velcro and latch the lock.
Yeah I agree. TORRO's keys are not holding me back from installing RTT. It's Rhino Rack's keys that I'm (also) waiting on. I NEED them keys so I can open the covers on the new RCL6 low-profile legs I bought, so I can install them first to the pads of the backbone system. Only then, I can set the crossbars on it and THEN I can lift and drop the RTT on top of it.

Well, it's all finally settled and on top of the Jeep. It's work to do it 'alone' the first time, but that's why I built the Franken-Hoist. It worked well after several false starts and some adjustments. It should go much smoother/faster going forward now that everything is actually on hand and dialed in. Still no keys from TORRO, so I have not actually opened it yet.
It DID UNFORTUNATELY have some damage to the underside edge by the driver's side corner, causing it to have a very sharp (now) exposed edge. Not a huge deal at a glance, if it doesnt affect how the hinged-side operates. WE'll see. I've seen this very same exact damage on the Roofnest thread (and others as well!), so this ain't from the UPS beat down it gave to my box before delivery, but from poor QC in the Chinese factories. Again, these RTTs are ALL from the same factories, barring the IK from Korea and the Italian-made RTTs. People often argue about it because they confuse the "terminology"; I mean "same factories" when they ALL use UNmotivated, underpaid, UNskilled labor, the very same machinery, same type of factory floor buildings, often within 50-miles of each other, the same boxing and transportation carriers, they ship from the same area ports, and almost all arrive in Long Beach, Cali only to be distributed to the very same carriers, like UPS Freight. They are the 'same RTTs', believe me. Some - like Roofnest or TuffStuff -charge about $3,300-$3600, while some - like Torro - charge about $2,800. None can get away with "$4,000" because that's the price IKamper "chose" and THEIR quality and operation IS better. The Euro RTTs you can see them all day long in the $4,500-5,800 range. Crazy? of course! These are effing tents for f**k sake, but Covid19 happened and "overlanding" :rolleyes: marketers found their nirvana and here we are. What do these things cost in 5 years?? Anybody's guess.

Anyway, the RTT is here. Ready for adventure. I need to check if Home Depot's parking lot has been finally paved....:rofl:

Damage2.jpg

Damage4.jpg

RT loading2.jpg

RTT loading6.jpg

RTT.jpg

I've gotten a couple of DMs about the "Franken-Hoist", so I'll post it here if anybody cares...I can no longer clear the door into my garage with the RTT installed. I needed a way to remove my RTT for the off-season, so I could then remove the Jeep's hardtop; while most of my YOTA buddies rather start a bonfire with my Jeep, it's pretty useful for anybody that wants/has to be a 1-man operation.

This is a cheap HF engine hoist. I got it for free, but they are USED on FB all the time for about $100. I added HF 6" solid casters for $40; I added a HF boat trailer hand winch for $30 so I could lift straight up, not tilting backwards like an engine. I added a piece of steel pipe for a handle for $0.00; anything will work here. I then added a piece of 2 x 2 steel tube "sleeved" into the factory arm for about $80 (steel in Illinois = not cheap) and I did have my buddy's shop cut it and welded an an angle that allow the bar to be parallel to the Jeeps' top, and then drilled and added some through-bolts/cutter pins and hooks here and there (hardware overall $30), and finally some black and red rattle car paint for $10. I ALSO extended the legs by doing the same 2 x 2 sleeved caper with 2 extra HF casters, but as it turns out prolly doesn't need it. While using it yesterday, the rear wheels never came off the ground, so I'm assuming it wasn't going to tilt forward at all. The RTT is about 160 lbs, and the Jeeps hardtop is about the same. The roof rack is about 50 lbs.

So that's that. The idea is to remove the RTT in the driveway, lower the engine hoist's boom to bring it into the garage, then on one side it'll be hoisted back up via ceiling winch, while on the other side I'll be able to now back up the Jeep into the garage and also remove the hardtop via a second winch. The hoist then folds up and takes up very little space. It's foot print is remarkably small! It should be very neat and clean after is all set and done, and completely out of the way. It'll pass my severe OCD test for sure!
I wish I had a barn or an 8-foot garage door, but I don't. My door is 7' but my garage ceiling inside is 10'.

Hi all,

I have two SkyLux tents I’m looking to sell, no real issues with either tent. I have a gen1 SkyLux (the substantial Velcro straps, glossy black) that’s been used a dozen or so times, and a gen2 SkyLux Bantam (locking straps, matte textured black) that’s been used once. Both have built in LED lighting for interior and exterior, and come with all mounting hardware.

We’re located in Raleigh, NC. It’s obviously a more challenging item to ship but if there’s anyone within driving distance who’s interested, feel free to let me know. Both have insulation, and the Bantam has a bunch more of the Torro accessories (I believe it has an awning, can confirm).

Asking $2,500 OBO each. DM me or email 2180miles@gmail.com

1) SkyLux Bantam RTT - used once
  • Weight: 121 lbs
  • Open dimensions: 4' 10" x 6' 11"
  • Closed dimensions: 4' 10" x 4'
  • Hardshell height: 12.5"
  • Telescoping Ladder: 7.5'

2) SkyLux RTT - used a dozen times
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Open dimensions: 7' 4" x 7' 3" (king size bed)
  • Closed dimensions: 7' 4" x 4' 7"
  • Hardshell closed height: 12.5"
  • Telescoping Ladder: 8.5'

Hi all,

I have two SkyLux tents I’m looking to sell, no real issues with either tent. I have a gen1 SkyLux (the substantial Velcro straps, glossy black) that’s been used a dozen or so times, and a gen2 SkyLux Bantam (locking straps, matte textured black) that’s been used once. Both have built in LED lighting for interior and exterior, and come with all mounting hardware.

We’re located in Raleigh, NC. It’s obviously a more challenging item to ship but if there’s anyone within driving distance who’s interested, feel free to let me know. Both have insulation, and the Bantam has a bunch more of the Torro accessories (I believe it has an awning, can confirm).

Asking $2,500 OBO each. DM me or email 2180miles@gmail.com

1) SkyLux Bantam RTT - used once
  • Weight: 121 lbs
  • Open dimensions: 4' 10" x 6' 11"
  • Closed dimensions: 4' 10" x 4'
  • Hardshell height: 12.5"
  • Telescoping Ladder: 7.5'

2) SkyLux RTT - used a dozen times
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Open dimensions: 7' 4" x 7' 3" (king size bed)
  • Closed dimensions: 7' 4" x 4' 7"
  • Hardshell closed height: 12.5"
  • Telescoping Ladder: 8.5'

Well, THIS would be one way to AVOID dealing with the company and its problems, and still getting a very decent and well made RTT! GLWS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom