Group Buy: 80/450 Welded aluminum expedition Roof Racks, Drawers, Gull Wings & Tailgate Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi RuggedBound. I'm interested in getting those Savute drawers!

Hopefully this post will break my noob status, so I can DM you (tried and couldn't). It worked, PM sent!

I presume they have plenty of load bearing capacity in terms of stuff on top of the overall platform? E.g. a couple of adult humans sleeping on top?

- Aaron
Absolutely - the deck is engineered plywood made for load, and they are made to take fully loaded large fridges on top. Keep in mind these stop at the middle row seatbacks so you would need to do a mid-row delete/platform to tie in with them. We actually have that on the list for a modular add-on development.

Any chance to purchase a single gullwing? I would just want a drivers side

Per the first post it has a dynamic load rating of 530lbs. @RuggedBound can confirm, but I'm sure 2 people in an RTT while parked will be 0 issue.
Roger - I read that, but just needed to confirm it. Had a roof rack collapse once, and NEVER want that to happen again!
:(

Stupid question - can the roof rack handle a RTT and two people (total adult weight approx 400 pounds)? Are the gutter mounts included?
Thanks
Doug
No stupid questions - yes it can. The gutter mounts are included in the price. Each gutter mount is rated for 88lbs dynamic load, and the rack is effectively stronger than that - but the roof itself is not. So - dynamic load rating on our 6 footed rack is 88x6 = 528lbs, we round that up to 530lb. The static rating when vehicle is not in motion is more than twice that amount.

Roger - I read that, but just needed to confirm it. Had a roof rack collapse once, and NEVER want that to happen
You are going to be pleasantly surprised at these racks and also a little dumbfounded at how low we actually made this group buy price :)

Checking in for any color updates.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reminder!
Basically, they will need a min order of 10 to make a tan color run with the one-off carpet purchase and the matching remains an issue - it will be close but not spot on. The tan color powder is also possible but they actually did one many years ago (sorry no photos) and the customer ended up having it redone in black and grey because it just didn't look right and showed dark scuffs/carpet stains very easily.

The manufacturer feels strongly to stick to the dark version and if we can make a pre-order of 10 happen they will knock it out - but obviously cannot convert them to black & grey down the line.

Can the roof rack be shipped to a residential address, or must it be shipped to a commercial address?

Can the roof rack be shipped to a residential address, or must it be shipped to a commercial address?
It can be shipped to a residential address but it is road freight - so you will pay a residential surcharge and a lift gate surcharge, which will make the total cost about $100-140 (at least) more than if you have access to a business address and access to a forklift or cargo bay/dock, which will eliminate those two surcharges. Also, residential drop-off is tricky with drop-off times etc. similar to waiting on the cable guy.

However, you can also pick up at the freight terminal for the same lower cost - you simply need to do so on weekdays before 6pm as they are closed on weekends.

In Nevada our shipping partner's terminals are at the following zip codes:
89801 Elko
89030 North Las Vegas
89431 Reno/Sparks
89445 Winnemucca

Theo

It can be shipped to a residential address but it is road freight - so you will pay a residential surcharge and a lift gate surcharge, which will make the total cost about $100-140 (at least) more than if you have access to a business address and access to a forklift or cargo bay/dock, which will eliminate those two surcharges. Also, residential drop-off is tricky with drop-off times etc. similar to waiting on the cable guy.

However, you can also pick up at the freight terminal for the same lower cost - you simply need to do so on weekdays before 6pm as they are closed on weekends.

89801 Elko
89030 North Las Vegas
89431 Reno/Sparks
89445 Winnemucca

Theo
Thanks for the info. Have you driven with the rack on? I'm worried about wind noise and was wondering if a deflector is available, or needed.

89801 Elko
89030 North Las Vegas
89431 Reno/Sparks
89445 Winnemucca

Theo
Does this surcharge apply to the drawer systems as well? I’m looking to send to North Florida area.

Thanks for the info. Have you driven with the rack on? I'm worried about wind noise and was wondering if a deflector is available, or needed.

Great question and thank you for asking it. These racks are quiet. By design. The design is actually about 30 years old and has been refined over that period and all the extrusions are custom.

You read that right. These extrusions are made from dies designed by Big Country 4x4, and those adopted from African Outback racks (they merged in 2010).

Because the floor planks are longitudinal and single walled, and the way the entire lattice is dove tail joined and kept within the perimeter extrusion shadow, the rack is extremely quiet and have no air buffeting issues.

These racks do not need an air deflector, as a result.

This is my HDJ81 pictured below in Galveston.

Theo

80 Galveston.jpg
2020-05-02 19.32.45.jpg

Dove-tailed-and-welded.jpg
Welded-Corners.jpg

Interested in the 80 series tail gate storage.
But would want some clearer pics.

How proud of the deck are hinges and latches?

Does the lid sit on a rebate around 4 sides?

What are the fasteners around the edges?
Can these be countersunk fixings?
Machined prior to powder coat?

Fixings sitting proud here would shït me.

Interested in the 80 series tail gate storage.
But would want some clearer pics.

How proud of the deck are hinges and latches?

Does the lid sit on a rebate around 4 sides?

What are the fasteners around the edges?
Can these be countersunk fixings?
Machined prior to powder coat?

Fixings sitting proud here would shït me.
You may need to wait on a future order for the clearer pics - those old stock photos are not great we agree and we will do shoots stateside to improve the stock photos.

Below is a closer look of the 100 series - the latches do sit a good 1/8" over the lid, not completely flush. the hinges are inset in the rebate but they do get fastened on top of the deck.

Same for the fasteners - re two countersunk screws on the corners and the rest are rivets so it is kept to a minimum. Changing the rivets for al countersunk hardware is of course possible but will increase the price some.

The lids do sit on 3/16" sheet rebate around all 4 edges - the tailgate lid is made of two sheets of 3/16" - one is the rebate with cutouts. in other words, it is beefy.

1610696190447.png
a

Placed my order for drawers, gull wings, and tailgate storage. Great looking products, can't wait to pick them up.

Does this surcharge apply to the drawer systems as well? I’m looking to send to North Florida area.
Yes, as it is road freight also. Each metropolitan and rural area have different surcharge amounts however - so yours might be a bit lower if the terminal is set up for residential last mile deliveries/milk runs. In some rural areas the residential surcharge is $85-105, in suburban areas it can be as low as $45 - and same applies to the lift gate charge, so it does vary.

If you provide us with a zip we can confirm your scenario.

Just wanted to double check...the roof rack pictures of your truck are black, but the website roof rack is silver. Will we have a choice of colors? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom