Group Buy: 80/450 Welded aluminum expedition Roof Racks, Drawers, Gull Wings & Tailgate Storage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RuggedBound

Supporting Vendor
Threads
As promised, we are offering a pre-order group buy exclusively to the IH8MUD forum to celebrate our IH8MUD vendor account launch.

For those who missed our forum introduction: we are a Houston, TX based importer & distributor for South African off-road brands who are not yet present in the US. We have spent the last 18+ months creating the foundation for our company and had booths at Overland Expo West & East '19, sponsored KOAR.UP in Michigan this year and set up several product ambassadors to help get some products out there and in the hands of future customers.

About Big Country 4x4: Big Country 4x4 has been manufacturing Land Rover and Land Cruiser products for 2+ decades in South Africa and we are the proud distributors of their products. While they have a 200+ page catalog we have started with a core group: The Ostrich Wing 270 awning, the Penthouse XL hard shell RTT and selections of their welded roof racks and Savute series of drawers. We worked hard to establish a local inventory while *no-one* knew anything about the brand. To help introduce them to the US market we produced a short company profile video posted to our youtube channel:

To celebrate our MUD vendor status we are offering to following amazing deals. There will be a lot of questions about the products and we will answer them all as fast as we can - but please check out the product brochures on the racks and drawers attached.

Shipping: Freight (racks/drawers) and UPS Ground (solo drawers and gull wings) from Houston via our discounted rates: budget for $150-170 for a rack or drawer. We will however quote these out for every sale and charge you exactly the resulting cost, no more. If you buy a drawer and a rack we can ship them together, saving about $80 on total freight.

Timing: This group buy will coincide with our 1st shipment of 2021, scheduled for mid-March departure from South Africa, mid-April 2021 arrival in Houston

Limits: We will limit this offer to the first 20 racks, 20 drawers and 20 sets of Gull Wings

Offer cut-off is Feb 15 - but may be revised if possible within our logistics constraints

Payments: 50% deposit secures your build, balance due by Feb 20th 2021
To order: PM us on MUD your order, email address, shipping address and phone number - an invoice will be raised via our website and sent to your email to execute.

Roof Racks
: (fully welded aluminum from all custom extrusions, mounted via custom 3/16" thick tracks fixed to OEM holes, no rivet nuts, no rack assembly needed - ready to mount)
80/450 Rack MSRP $1485 Group Buy $960 + freight from Houston
3 feet per side, 530lb dynamic load rating
2020-05-02 19.32.45.jpg

Tailgate Storage: MSRP $695 Group Buy $486 plus shipping from Houston
Big Country 4x4 developed the first 2-hatch 80 tailgate storage kits in South Africa more than a decade ago. They have since been made by many other vendors but the originals are now available in the USA! What is unique about them?
  • 2 layers on 3/16" Aluminum plasma cut and welded together. In other words, the backing plate is also 3/16", same as the cover plate
  • Stainless Steel hardware & aluminum rivets
  • Automotive carpet kit included for finishing the interior of the tailgate
  • Powder coated
V89-LC80-Tailgate-Storage-2-scaled.jpg

Savute Drawers: (galvanized steel, aluminum, black powder coat, automotive carpet cover, side trim panels, 2 metal storage boxes for recovery gear, 2 removable metal partitions)
These drawers are made only for these vehicles and provide 50% more space inside while also being lower profile than most other brands. They are massive.
Savute Twin Drawer MSRP $1650 Group Buy $1050 + freight from Houston
2020-11-01 15.37.17.jpg

Gull Wings:

Made from 2 layers of 5-bar aluminum sheeting, laser cut and roll formed to fit the vehicle perfectly. Dustproof, waterproof, lockable and gas strut operated.
These are unique on the market since they do require drilling and sit one the window seal, not in the window seal.
They are not to everyone's taste as they are extremely heavy duty and not sleek and not everyone will want to mount our custom, heavy duty tracks to their vehicle to mount the hinges. That is OK - we are catering for a very specific need.
If you want to reverse back to the OEM windows or are concerned about resale value these are not for you. If you are building a rig that will be kept, or sold as a rig and looking for a heavy duty solution: these are for you.
The photos are about 10 years old - the new version is matte black fiber powder coat with the updated logo.
80/450 Gull Wings MSRP $1100 per pair Group Buy $750 per pair + shipping from Houston
Keep in mind: drilling is required, and these are sided, not universal
V85-LC80-Gullwings-3-scaled.jpg
V83-LC80-Gullwings-1-scaled.jpg

What are the dimensions for the drawer system? Are the side "wings" accessible? How does it secure to the truck - using existing mounting locations (third row seat) or does it require drilling? Any chance of carpet color selection? I have an Oak interior for example.

Any concerns with the drawers colliding with the tailgate storage system's hardware? Or is the hardware flush?

Thanks!

How do I sign up for the group buy? I’m in for 80 series tailgate and 200 series roof rack.

How do I sign up for the group buy? I’m in for 80 series tailgate and 200 series roof rack.
To order: PM us on MUD your order, email address, shipping address and phone number - an invoice will be raised via our website and sent to your email to execute. 1st invoice is the 50% deposit, second invoice on Feb 15th when materials are locked in (group buy closes Feb 20th to ensure we get everything in the same shipment from South Africa)

I'm in for the tailgate storage, thanks!
Awesome!
To order: PM us on MUD your order, email address, shipping address and phone number - an invoice will be raised via our website and sent to your email to execute.

dang that tail gate storage is awesome... my wife will surely murder me as i've spent so much on the damn truck since November 😂
well.......... technically this is 2021 spending and our 50 down / 50 later should help you hide the costs over 2 months ;)

(we are here for you)

I'd like a set of the Savute Drawers for my 80...how do I get in on this and how do I find out the freight cost?

Freight: We can send you a good freight estimate based on your zip once we have it - on average we are seeing 120-180 to most states from Houston, depending on the distance and remoteness of the terminal.

What are the dimensions for the drawer system? Are the side "wings" accessible? How does it secure to the truck - using existing mounting locations (third row seat) or does it require drilling? Any chance of carpet color selection? I have an Oak interior for example.

Any concerns with the drawers colliding with the tailgate storage system's hardware? Or is the hardware flush?

Thanks!
Yup, wings are accessible - simple finger hole in the middle of each wing to lift it up - since it is carpeted the fit is nice and snug and no rattles.
Drawer secures via existing holes. Front hole is one of the threaded holes of the forward tie-down loops which you need to remove, rear holes are the simple through-holes that are already in your truck and currently covered by a grommet. No drilling, simply a thin X sliced in your existing carpet to get the bolt through the carpet to that existing hole in the tub.

The drawer and tailgate storage work together - of course if you forget the tailgate latch open you will hit it when you open the drawer, but that is true for any tailgate lid. We do keep the locks in stock if you ever need a replacement.

Carpet color: great question. We can likely work with you on that given the timing - but it is uncommon since the darker carpet in the load area carries stains and spills better. Let me get you an answer on that. We have a can-do attitude on all things custom.

Dims: From the 80 drawer product listing on our site:

This expedition grade twin drawer bolts down onto existing OEM bolt holes (no drilling required). It is designed specifically for the Land Cruiser 80 / Lexus 450.

Big Country 4x4's vehicle-specific design approach optimizes storage in your vehicle offering 50% more drawer space compared to most other popular brands.

• 2 x 27 gallon drawers
  • Uses Heavy Duty telescopic sliders allowing the drawer to open out all the way.
  • The drawer sliders can handle up to 255lbs per pair at 60% travel – you will have to try very hard to overload this drawer.
  • Lockable
  • Supplied with 2 x drop-in boxes, 2 x wedge-in dividers and a tip-up / removable work surface
Product overall dims: Height 10 1/4" Length 41 3/4"" Width 41 3/4"

Internal packing sizes (each drawer): Height 7 7/8" Length 40 5/8" Width 19 7/32"

Weight 150lbs

Do the drawers lock open to prevent accidental closing if not level?
These do have a locking tab that simply lifts up into lock position, but it is not sprung loaded so it you need to toggle it to the "locked" position.

We actually requested to add the same simple sprung tab-locker that they use on their fridge sliders when we were developing the 5th Gen 4Runner drawer with them. If it is a must-have we can certainly ensure it gets added to the 80. We like it - super simple. Might not be available for the group buy but it is certainly on the development board.

I will get some photos of both for you. I edited this response from "no" to "yes" because I initially assumed you meant automatic lock.

Last edited:
@RuggedBound Not even sure why I tell my wife I'm done spending money...

I look forward to the carpet updates. I have an LB42 (Oak trim) interior, so whatever carpet matches that.

Happy New Year @RuggedBound . No rush as we jump into a new year, but have you received any feedback from SA on the carpet selection?

Cheers!

Would it be possible to pick up an order in Houston? Interested in drawers and gullwings.

Update: We are moving the group buy close date up to January 20th to ensure we get everyone's items made in time for the March boat schedule.

Thanks for all the questions, messages and support.

Confirmed Orders so far:
@Skippyd Twin Drawers
@jflocs Gull Wings
@Bludozer Twin Drawers
@BROMO95 Tailgate cover (and 200 series roof rack)
@kbellve Twin Drawers, tailgate cover, load bars x3
@HMM Tailgate cover
@LittleRedWgon Tailgate cover

Hi RuggedBound. I'm interested in getting those Savute drawers!

Hopefully this post will break my noob status, so I can DM you (tried and couldn't). It worked, PM sent!

I presume they have plenty of load bearing capacity in terms of stuff on top of the overall platform? E.g. a couple of adult humans sleeping on top?

- Aaron

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom