Group 31 battery for Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only 50AH less power than 1 group 31 Just say'n

You know as well as I do that 100ah AGM isn't really 100ahs. The 100ah lithium from the same manufacturer is around $900.

I could be wrong. I'll defer to your greater battery knowledge, @LandCruiserPhil .

How many charge cycles will you get out of that AGM over 10 years, and how many agms would you have to buy over 10 years? Granted that lithium battery company hasn't been around 10 years yet probably, and I've changed my setup plenty of times in the last 5 years, who knows how long I'd actually keep that lithium battery.

You know as well as I do that 100ah AGM isn't really 100ahs. The 100ah lithium from the same manufacturer is around $900.

Correct AGM 1/2 of the rating for long life

Telling your wife you battery is going to cost $900 may not go over so well. She tells you can buy 'a battery' at Costco for $90 and if it goes bad you can walk in and they replace it on the spot.

What does a guy do if he has a winch?

Read the terms and conditions of the BB warranty and tell me you still want one?

Correct AGM 1/2 of the rating for long life

Telling your wife you battery is going to cost $900 may not go over so well. She tells you can buy 'a battery' at Costco for $90 and if it goes bad you can walk in and they replace it on the spot.

What does a guy do if he has a winch?

Read the terms and conditions of the BB warranty and tell me you still want one?

I definitely couldn't talk Sarah into me buying a $900 battery. I couldn't rationalize it for myself when I haven't even been on an overnight trip this year. If I took a lot more trips and camped in one spot more than a day, maybe I'd consider a 50ah lithium.

From the little I know, yeah, you wouldn't use a winch with a lithium. I also don't own a winch.

I wish I have the skill to make this.
Me too ;)

My skills tend to the square & rectangular shapes.

This is the battery box I welded up for the backup battery. 1/8th inch plate and way waaaay too heavy for what it needs to do.

I had planned on cutting out the walls in a neat-o pattern like the box up above, but I was in a hurry to get it installed for a Colorado trip and didn't have the time.

Top view
1DSC01626-small.jpg

Bottom
2DSC01625-small.jpg

The irregular bottom plate was designed to place as much surface on the fender well as possible, with holes to match the fender well's. This box went in place of the windshield washer bottle.
3.1DSC01609-small.jpg

Available real estate
3DSC01627-small.jpg

Installed
4DSC01647-small.jpg

While I was looking for battery box pictures I ran across these.

Original Taco Factory battery 27F. The white strip at the bottom is the "tray", that isn't even attached - it just had two dimples that fit into holes under the tray to keep it from sliding around.
6DSC01617-small.jpg

A better view of the only modification I needed to get a 31M installed in a hurry. Meant this as a temporary fix to get me through one trip, but has been there since 2008-04-26. Simple piece of scrap metal with two holes drilled in it, bolted to the original J-hook hole.
7DSC01618-small.jpg

Looks naked without all the cables I now have on the main battery.
8DSC01620-small.jpg

Finished just in time.
5DSC01741-small.jpg

So I don't mind trying to make my own mount to accommodate a group 31 battery but what considerations should I look at when making a mount? Are the physical dimensions of the battery the only constraints that are causing compatibility issues with the oem mount and brackets?

So I don't mind trying to make my own mount to accommodate a group 31 battery but what considerations should I look at when making a mount? Are the physical dimensions of the battery the only constraints that are causing compatibility issues with the oem mount and brackets?
Make sure the extra height of the 31 doesn't push the terminals into your hood. I had plenty of room on the factory battery side, but the backup battery is really close to the hood.

East Penn Manufacturing is sort of the go-to source for batteries. They make Deka, West Marine, and some of the other brands mentioned above. They have a reasonable reputation, too.

If you make your own mount and all you need is welding I can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom