Grounding the Front Turn Signals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran ground wires from the inside reflectors to the inner fender on both sides of my 45 several years ago to get the bulbs to flash correctly.

I am putting on new, freshly painted, fenders and don't really want an exposed wire running across them.

Here's my question.
Are the turn signal, and running light, supposed to ground through the mounting bolt into the fender?

My multi-meter shows no continuity from the reflector to the mounting bolt. It looks as though there should be continuity since the mounting bolt mount on the signal pod seems to connect through the bolt plate inside the pod and thge reflector is screwed to the plate.

Here's my question.
Are the turn signal, and running light, supposed to ground through the mounting bolt into the fender?

Yes they are...

Thanks Steve, maybe new light pods are in my future.

I'll try to unscrew the inside mounting plate from the outer (lower) plate with the mounting bolt on first and try and re-establish continuity first though.

You going to BHCC this year? A few guys from my club will be there and I am considering a shot gun seat. We'll ahve to see what it's like at work in the next few weeks.

Kevin, the path of least resistance [couldn't resist the pun] would be to solder a tab to the mounting stud at the bottom and run a ground wire to a less rusty part of the truck from there, wouldn't it?

Best

Mark A.

I took the other side off and see that there are three wires going down through the hollow mounting bolt. I had the third wire grounded to the inner fender. It was soldered to the back of the signal reflector.

So I added a third wire in the first signal light and soldered it to the back of the reflector. It will ensure a good ground and also be inconspicuous.

I'll hazard a guess that this signals the end of my grounding woes.

Now I notice that my new fenders are from a RHD truck. I need to cut a notch in the left side for the steeing box clearance. :frown:

On the bright side (yup, thats another pun), my welding and grinding skills are getting better.

I had to do the same thing on my 40, I ran a ground wire through the mount bolt with the original wires and run it in the loom to inner fender , cleaned up with some straps up tight in corner and you don,t see it and the wires are safe.

Now I notice that my new fenders are from a RHD truck. I need to cut a notch in the left side for the steeing box clearance. :frown:

I HOPE you're joking about cutting up that fender for steering clearance. I'll trade you a new OEM LHD fender for that RHD fender if that's the case. A fender without the hole would be cool for use with a Saginaw conversion...

Nick

A fender without the hole would be cool for use with a Saginaw conversion...

Nick

Agreed! I'm working on tlaporte's RHD troopie right now...that REALLY needs a left side fender [see thread in 45 forum]. I just assumed I would HAVE to put on one with a steering box cutout.

I don't know that Tom particularly cares, but if you don't mind Kevin, could you give me a couple of days to ask him?

Best

Mark A.

Dang, it never occured to me that someone could use it as it was.

I did the cut and weld this afternoon.

Keep an eye on the JDM or Coastal Cruisers forums for RH drive fenders.

G&S, I think they are on the vendors list, often part out JDM cruisers. Radd Cruisers may also be able to help you. I got these fenders from Crushers (thanks again Wayne) and he may also have some to part out. He lives in the middle east (Ontario) now show shipping would be a little more problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom