Grounding 12V Accessories in 24V BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJAEbj42

Gathering Speed....
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.ajae.ca
I am planning to install a 12V CB and a 12V power source (aka cigarrette lighter) in my 24V BJ42. I have a 24V to 12V converter that I will use to power these accessories.

Question: Can I ground the 12V accessories to the truck or do they need to be 'grounded' back to the negative wire that comes out of the converter? In other words, does the 12V circuit need to be isolated from the 24V truck?:confused:

I searched previous threads and couldn't find a specific answer to this one.

Thanks!:)

I am planning to install a 12V CB and a 12V power source (aka cigarrette lighter) in my 24V BJ42. I have a 24V to 12V converter that I will use to power these accessories.

Question: Can I ground the 12V accessories to the truck or do they need to be 'grounded' back to the negative wire that comes out of the converter? In other words, does the 12V circuit need to be isolated from the 24V truck?:confused:

I searched previous threads and couldn't find a specific answer to this one.

Thanks!:)

Yes. Just ground the negative wire from the converter as well.

Thanks amaurer; this will save a bunch of wiring!

I would say no, just as a pre-caution? isolate the 12 volt from the 24 volt. There is no need to ground it to the frame with the 24-12 converter, just ground back to the converter as the instructions probably indicate. This will protect the 12 volt system if there's problems with the 24 volt system.

Cheers

a ground is a ground is a ground is a ground...got it

X3 My 24 to 12 volt converter itself shares the ground between the two sides of the converter, so ground away!

12 volt alt?

Would this work with installing a 12 alternator in a 24 truck? I want to set up a 12 volt at and thrid battery and fuse block for accesories. Can I just ground everything to frame as well or do I run ground wires back from everything to the battery?

Would this work with installing a 12 alternator in a 24 truck? I want to set up a 12 volt at and thrid battery and fuse block for accesories. Can I just ground everything to frame as well or do I run ground wires back from everything to the battery?

Most alternators only have one wire anyway; they ground themselves to the chassis through their mounts. Thus, you have to ground everything to the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom