Grounded the Carb cooling fan but no go (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh right. That option totally slipped my mind.

So let’s see... the cooling fan relay turns the fan on each time you turn the ignition off. And the temp sensor that’s on the hardline of the PCV is what tells the fan to turn off once it senses the temp is below a certain degree, correct?
So if the carb fan is hard wired to the fender then the temp sensor is out of the equation entirely.
Which means the cooling fan relay is still in the works if turning off the ignition initiates the fan to turn on?
Haha. This is kinda a case of ‘whose on first.’

We checked the relay with a multimeter, checked the plug into the relay, checked all the fuses. Some where between the plug from the firewall and the fuse, we aren’t getting power.

C5631417-C202-4013-8041-CA31E8B41543.jpeg

0726E22A-B96E-4FA3-88B1-A5EAAF13CC92.jpeg

So after being stumped even with the help of my neighbor who is more knowledgeable in this stuff, I unplugged and unclipped everything once again. Blew out the connections like an old nintendo video game and low and behold the fan is working.

Same thing happened with my 4th gen 4runner rear door not working. Pulled it all apart, cleaned things and put it back together. Strated working.

aaaaaaand it stopped working. Hardwired it and the motor worked fine. Regrounded the sensor wire.
Im guessing its the plug. But if it was the lpug wouldnt it have the same issue when its hard wired?

New used relay put in and still doesn't work.
Only thing I can think of is that its the green plug thats got a bad connection.

New used relay put in and still doesn't work.
Only thing I can think of is that its the green plug thats got a bad connection.
You can pull the plug and redo the ends. I did that w/ my fusible link. Actually reused the female ends too. The ‘plug’ that holds the ends in is just a thick chunk of rubber. Pry it out, cut the wires and redo the ends and stuff it back in.

You can pull the plug and redo the ends. I did that w/ my fusible link. Actually reused the female ends too. The ‘plug’ that holds the ends in is just a thick chunk of rubber. Pry it out, cut the wires and redo the ends and stuff it back in.

Thanks for the tip.

My 81 FJ40 had an in-line fuse behind the dash; I was surprised when I found it since I thought all of the fuses were in the panel. After swapping in a good fuse, my carb cooling fan started working again.

My 81 FJ40 had an in-line fuse behind the dash; I was surprised when I found it since I thought all of the fuses were in the panel. After swapping in a good fuse, my carb cooling fan started working again.
I'll take a look again but I did not see anything there. Was it immediately behind the fuse panel?

Keep in mind I had an FJ40 not an FJ60. If I recall correctly, it was behind the dash between the radio and cluster. It was a white, plastic, in-line fuse holder. I still have the wiring harness. I’ll take a picture next time I’m near the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom