1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ground?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by LX_TREME, Mar 6, 2007.

1. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

Just browsing thru JDM web site found these interesting 80s pic, add ground wire to the one of the exhaust pipe nut? For me I have no clue what’s that for? Anyone?
    Ground.JPG

2. chibo

chibo

I would assume to prevent electrolysis since the air is rather salty over there... and that exhaust looks like SS to me. I've never had a problem with a stainless steel exhaust not being grounded, but whatever :flipoff2:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. dfmorse

dfmorse

LX_TREME;

Grounding of the exhaust system [And axles, etc] is an old radio amateur trick (and military) for helping to eliminate static build-up and reduce receiver noise. The exhaust is insulated from ground WRT RF (Radio Frequency). A DC ohmmeter will show the pipes are grounded, but not at RF. The FJ80 is a real quite vehicle compared to the FJ40.

4. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

I saw a dyno run one time on the new Nissan 350z when it came out. Just installing aftermarket ground cables in various places netted 1.5 hp.:eek: Now,on some of the cars that come in at my shop for transmission overhauls some were burned up from bad ground straps, or missing ones for that matter. Chibo said a good point about electrolysis. I've seen repeated heater core failures from bad ground straps as well. Funny when you can read voltage w/ a voltmeter in your coolant!!