Ground? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Just browsing thru JDM web site found these interesting 80s pic, add ground wire to the one of the exhaust pipe nut? For me I have no clue what’s that for? Anyone?
Ground.JPG

I would assume to prevent electrolysis since the air is rather salty over there... and that exhaust looks like SS to me. I've never had a problem with a stainless steel exhaust not being grounded, but whatever :flipoff2:

Last edited:
LX_TREME;

Grounding of the exhaust system [And axles, etc] is an old radio amateur trick (and military) for helping to eliminate static build-up and reduce receiver noise. The exhaust is insulated from ground WRT RF (Radio Frequency). A DC ohmmeter will show the pipes are grounded, but not at RF. The FJ80 is a real quite vehicle compared to the FJ40.

I saw a dyno run one time on the new Nissan 350z when it came out. Just installing aftermarket ground cables in various places netted 1.5 hp.:eek: Now,on some of the cars that come in at my shop for transmission overhauls some were burned up from bad ground straps, or missing ones for that matter. Chibo said a good point about electrolysis. I've seen repeated heater core failures from bad ground straps as well. Funny when you can read voltage w/ a voltmeter in your coolant!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom