Ground at bottom of ignition controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone with a 96 97 tell me where the 2 grounds are running to from the bottom of igniter. I just dropped the motor back in and having what I think is a ground problem. The short one runs to inner fender. The long one that heads up towards battery tray attaches where? I've searched here but still unsure. When I turn key to ON position igniter sends spark to coil.
Thankyou

Can someone with a 96 97 tell me where the 2 grounds are running to from the bottom of igniter. I just dropped the motor back in and having what I think is a ground problem. The short one runs to inner fender. The long one that heads up towards battery tray attaches where? I've searched here but still unsure. When I turn key to ON position igniter sends spark to coil.
Thankyou

Do you mean the ignition coil? The igniter (mounted on the fender skirt behind the coil) doesn't have ground wires....is the reason I ask. It (the igniter) is grounded through the bracket to the fender.

If the coil, one runs to the fender skirt the other to the drivers side engine lift bracket (on mine).

Last edited:
Okay thanks, yeah I meant the coil. And I'm pretty sure that's how I have it. I will ride to shop and check in the morning. I can't wrap my mind around why it would be "clicking" sending spark. In the ON position with out the engine running.
Ground cable attached to block
Ground strap from head to firewall,
Strap to engine hanger.
Strap to intake runner
Strap to inner fender next to battery

Okay thanks, yeah I meant the coil. And I'm pretty sure that's how I have it. I will ride to shop and check in the morning. I can't wrap my mind around why it would be "clicking" sending spark. In the ON position with out the engine running.
Strap to engine hanger.
Strap to intake runner

Yeah, the spark thing is kinda freaky. Don't know what that would be.

Strap to engine hanger.
Strap to intake runner
Something is very very wrong. You can't develop spark without movement of the distributor rotor. If the ECU is not receiving pulses from the distributor, there will be no pulses sent to the igniter.
You have something wired incorrectly.

I found out last night that the ignition coil circuit has a pulsing ground. So what was suggested to me was isolate that circuit and check for a short within the harness itself. The starter isn't doing anything. and the 7.5amp charge fuse has no current to it. I'm no 12v tech so any knowledge or suggestions I'm looking forward to. Thanks

Btw The rebuilt 1fz I dropped in on Saturday. Every plug had it's mate and every ground is attached. I thought the same thing tho, That something isn't hooked up right but how could it not be? Def not saying I'm right but The only difference in electrical is the egr is deleted and in place of temp sensor is resistor mod from the dude on here, new fusible link, reman denso starter. Oil pressure sender, injectors.

What do you mean by "pulsing ground". What is pulsing?
;)

pulsing:​

Physics
a. A brief sudden change in a normally constant quantity: a pulse of current; a pulse of radiation.

Haha...I went down today n checked all grounds again. I guess it's time to start tracing wires. I'm gonna need a hand with this one, The wiring diagram is alone is confusing enough

Last edited:
Do y'all know if the the no crank issue could possibly be connected to this. I assume it is but There's got to be some guys on here that know these systems thoroughly.

I assume it is but There's got to be some guys on here that know these systems thoroughly.
Ummm......yeah.

They've already been talking to you here.

Two of the best are in the posts above yours.......

Gotcha thanks You'll have to pardon me I'm new here. Could a failing ecm cause this type of issue ?

When you key it on does the check engine light illuminate in the dash?

Cheers

The bulb has been out for sometime. It's on the list but if I need to find out sooner I will
Yes, you need to fix the bulb.

If it is not on with the key in RUN position, then it will not start, regardless because the ECU is not in a ready state.

This is a diagnostic tool.

The bulb has been out for sometime. It's on the list but if I need to find out sooner I will

Yes, as the others have already directed, replace that bulb. Might as well check all of them that you can and have them on hand. Pull the instrument panel ONCE and be done with it.

To expand on the issue....IF you do not have a CEL with key turned to 'on' it means the ECU is not receiving power (many times the fault of the Fusible Link), but in any case needs to found and repaired....or all other efforts will be for naught.

This is pretty much the standard 'starting point' in the diagnosis path.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom