Grom BT3 for Bluetooth? Anyone try it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking into the USA Spec bluetooth device and then I stumbled across this GROM unit which appears to be newer and also has favorable reviews. Has anyone here used it on a 100 series? I read some people said the USA Spec one has a tingy sound. I have a 2004 LX470 and would like to stream music to avoid the old tape trick (which works fine for the time being).

The iSimple seems to require plugging the phone in to play, if the youtube video I watched was accurate. I'd like to keep it wireless if possible.

I want to play spotify on my stereo if that makes a difference.

The iSimple ISFM22 is supposed to work with bluetooth. I'm going to go to a cartoys and see if someone there can answer that confirm that it is what I think it to be.

I have the BT3. Works Great.

I initially bought the USA Spec for my '04 Tundra and replaced it with the BT3 after hearing my friends. No comparison. The USA Spec went in the garbage.

I set mine up with a cradle that had a built-in charging cable which runs off the BT3 USB port. Got the remote microphone and mounted it in the ceiling console near the little slits that are already there.

The guys at GROM were very helpful in figuring out what I needed in order to accomplish what I wanted. Everything is bluetooth except (obviously) charging and my steering wheel controls operate both phone and music playback.

Good info may pick one up. Just checked them out and they have $15 off promo code now until the 15th on the BT3.

I just put the iSimple Tranzit BLU in my 2000 LX; aside from a minor grounding issue that I had to figure out it works great. Don't need any antenna adaptors and if I were to make any recommendations I would say just use the continuous loop and not the included switch. It's nice to finally be in the 21st century.

I was looking into the USA Spec bluetooth device and then I stumbled across this GROM unit which appears to be newer and also has favorable reviews. Has anyone here used it on a 100 series? I read some people said the USA Spec one has a tingy sound. I have a 2004 LX470 and would like to stream music to avoid the old tape trick (which works fine for the time being).

I'm awaiting for my BT3 unit as we speak. I've read good things on this site about it. I'm just debating where to mount the microphone. Does anyone have any suggestions? pictures of install?

^^^^^^as I mentioned, mine went in the ceiling console tucked up to the little existing slits in the plastic cover.

Thanks guys. This thread helped me out a ton. I will be looking to get one for my 03 cruiser :)

I set mine up with a cradle that had a built-in charging cable which runs off the BT3 USB port. Got the remote microphone and mounted it in the ceiling console near the little slits that are already there.

The guys at GROM were very helpful in figuring out what I needed in order to accomplish what I wanted. Everything is bluetooth except (obviously) charging and my steering wheel controls operate both phone and music playback.

I just received my kit today. read over the instructions and it has two different toyota installs one for nav one without. I have nav in my 2003 LC, It looks like you remove the dvd plug from the radio head, plug the grom into it then take the dvd harness and plug it into the female connector on the harness. Am i understanding this correctly?

Bmann, keep us posted on your install. I've got two 2003's and this sounds like a great update.

Bmann, keep us posted on your install. I've got two 2003's and this sounds like a great update.

oftpiste says it works great, I've never had the radio head out before but from what i'm seeing in videos on here its not too difficult. i'll keep you posted.. plan on doing it by the weeks end.

I actually had mine done by a pro. I didn't want to screw it up and if it did get screwed up I wanted to have someone to fix it! I'm a single banana guy at best. I did sit in the passenger seat and watch the whole thing though, and it didn't seem difficult to pull the whole unit out.

I installed the grom unit today on my 2003 LC. Install went good and it sounds great. completely works as advertised. If anyone tackles it themselves you may want to know that i had to reboot the unit after plugging it in to get the bluetooth discoverable. This requires you to turn off the the unit by leaving the cd mode (selecting fm) then going back into cd mode and press the repeat button on the screen. You will then hear a beep and grom comes up on the phone almost instantly. The directions were very clear and i'm pleased with the purchase. I opted not to hide the mic behind the upper console grill. The grill on the driver side is the sniffer for the auto temp feature and i wasn't comfortable with the mic being pointed at the passenger if I used the grill on the right side. I used the mic mount and ran the wire up the driver pillar, across the front of the headline and under the upper console assembly.
The job from start to finish including a few interruptions took an hour. I placed the unit in the space between the driver side a/c vent and the dashboard then ran the harness from the unit behind the nav screen and plugged it into the radio head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom