Groaning noise when accelerating quickly from a stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
My '07 LX has started making a bit of a groaning noise when accelerating hard from a stop. The noise seems connected to engine speed, not wheel speed. But it doesn't make the noise when revving in neutral or when accelerating hard on the highway.

Driving video of the noise here. You can hear the problem at the 1:00 mark

And another 4 second video highlighting the noise

Last edited:
May need some more details on this. Wouldn't fan be spinning if you were just revving in neutral as well ( most of the time? )

Sounds more like an issue with a part that moves when driving, tire/road noise, wheel bearings, transfer case / diff gears etc.

Sounds like your rig is asking for some love (read: $$$)

My 2001 does the same thing. I think of it more like a short metallic vibration/drone. It occurs when I accelerate from a dead stop for a second or so only around 1,100 RPM - and only when rolling. I thought it might be a cat converter shield starting to come loose. I was going to take off my skid plate and take a look , but I haven't done it yet.

Cat shield

Mine does this too.

Yeah this is a rattle not a groan =] So although it could be something else the most likely culprit of that noise is something along the exhaust system rattling like a heat shield.

On my cruiser, it's the rear metal shield on the ( i think ) CAT . Below the right rear door of the vehicle.

Oh, and BTW, many of us accept it and label it charm/patina.

i remember that slight vibration. if I remember it was rpm specific around 1800 rpm. I'm of the opinion its a heat shield or the cat vibrating. Sweet truck!

So I spent some time yesterday trying to find out what was making the sound, which to me sounds like it is coming from the mid section of the undercarriage. All of the cat shields were tight and didn't rattle. The muffler shield was flexible, but didn't seem to rattle. either. Nothing else I could find seemed flexible or loose enough to cause the sound. The next step I think would be to use a Steelman ChassisEAR to hone in on the source. That just seems like a expensive diagnostic tool I'd only use once though.

+1. Mine makes the noise also under similar acceleration conditions. I initially thought it may have feen fan clutch-related. I replaced the fan clutch. Now that I think about it, it does sound like some type of heat metal vibration. I'm the only person that has noticed it.

If you were near, I would let you use my Steelman Chassis Ear. I bought the basic wired model for under $100. I had a suspension creak noise on one of my cars that nearly drove me crazy. I used the Chassis Ear to find a creaking poly stabilizer bar bushing.

I wish I had used the Chassis Ear before I made some unnecessary and expensive suspension parts replacements. Keep us posted. It may be over a month before I get some time to figure this one out.

My 2001 does the same thing. I think of it more like a short metallic vibration/drone. It occurs when I accelerate from a dead stop for a second or so only around 1,100 RPM - and only when rolling. I thought it might be a cat converter shield starting to come loose. I was going to take off my skid plate and take a look , but I haven't done it yet.
Yeah this is a rattle not a groan =] So although it could be something else the most likely culprit of that noise is something along the exhaust system rattling like a heat shield.

On my cruiser, it's the rear metal shield on the ( i think ) CAT . Below the right rear door of the vehicle.

I have a similar noise and thought it was the brake system doing something under the hood....

I have a similar noise and thought it was the brake system doing something under the hood....
That is also a common noise that will occur but not really a rattle/groan, more like a pump priming/ABS type of noise

@Thingfisher I had a similar issue, if your looking at the passenger side rear door, drop down and look at the section of the exhaust. I think its the CAT, on the rear part of this component there is like an external cylinder looking thing, around that is a piece of metal shielding it.

This solved my exhaust rattle

Also if you haven't went deep enough yet, maybe take splash shields off and check entire exhaust system if you still have a metal tingy rattly noise going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom