Groaning noise on 2019 LC (Updated with videos) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2019 LC with 14k miles makes a groaning noise (the best I can describe it) that is most noticeable between 500 and 1,000 RPMs. It changes pitch with engine speed. I hear it when driving at slow speeds and at idle. Also seems to be louder when the engine is cold.

I've had my ears all around the car and it seems louder on the drivers side of the engine bay towards the bottom of the engine. Other than the noise everything else is perfect -- no other symptoms.

I took it to the dealer and they kept it for several days to try and diagnose the source. I was told they listened to the power steering pump and alternator with a mechanics scope but they were normal and that everything else checked out. They acknowledged the noise but were never able to pinpoint the source. Eventually they said it was normal after comparing mine to a 2020 model. I was able to listen to both and I did hear a similar noise on the 2020 but mine seems louder. I know few people with 2019s and I don't hear it on theirs. My 2014 didn't have the noise either.

I would certainly love to hear the opinion of the group. Is it a case where some have the noise and some don't? Could it be transmission or transfer case vs an engine accessory? I am at a loss. Maybe I am just crazy and it is normal for this model year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posting a video with sound will help a great deal.
(upload to youtube and post link).

Yes, see if you can take the @Markuson suggestion and get the noise on here. I would be especially interested if it's potentially transmission.

Good suggestions on the videos. I should have done that with the first post. I've posted three videos below. The noise is pretty subtle, especially on the video of me sitting inside the car.

After shooting the videos, it sounds like it's coming from underneath, not the engine bay. You can really notice it around 550-650 RPM as the idle is coming back down.

Underneath:

Outside:

Inside:

Last edited:
Hmm... I haven't thought of that. But it really sounds mechanical in person. Pretty sure it's something spinning that is causing the noise.
I agree, sounds mechanical. Hmmmm...........

I'll just crawl under and investigate more. Loose bolts or even the exhaust system itself could be loose or rubbing on something

I'll just crawl under and investigate more. Loose bolts or even the exhaust system itself could be loose or rubbing on something

I was under it with a flashlight for an hour today. Everything is tight and in order.

I did see where there is a little grease on the areas around the 4wd driveshaft u-joint where it connects to the front differential. Like it splattered off the u-joint when it was spinning. Not sure if that's normal but even if it is it wouldn't explain the noise because that part isn't moving when the car is stopped.

I'm starting to think the noise is coming from the transmission. It's the most noticeable there. Maybe it's normal for the 8-speed which explains why my 2014 didn't make the noise. But then why do other 2019s i've listened to not have it?

I'm stumped...

Thanks for all the responses!

If it is the sound I am thinking off, it sounds like a transmission or power steering pump at low speed most notably just as you start driving?

I am not suggesting there is nothing wrong, but I have noticed the Couple of other later year ones I have been in do seem to have this noise to varying degrees and Agree, it definitely is not present in a 15’ model.

I too had a very reputable dealer familiar with a Land Cruisers check mine as well just to make sure all was okay.

One of the reasons I was wondering if you thought it might be transmission is mine (transmission) makes a similar type noise. I think it might be normal for the 8 speed and could vary a bit among trucks. So long as something big doesn't fall off and skip across the road behind you, I think you may be fine.

If it is the sound I am thinking off, it sounds like a transmission or power steering pump at low speed most notably just as you start driving?

I am not suggesting there is nothing wrong, but I have noticed the Couple of other later year ones I have been in do seem to have this noise to varying degrees and Agree, it definitely is not present in a 15’ model.

I too had a very reputable dealer familiar with a Land Cruisers check mine as well just to make sure all was okay.

Desmocruiser, you are spot on about when it is noticeable and how it sounds. My first thought was power steering pump. The dealer said the pump sounds normal. Also the sound doesn't change when you turn the steering wheel from side to side. So that is ruled out; at least for now.

Sandroad, I agree that it may be a characteristic of the 8-speed transmission. After really listening to it today, I think that is where the noise is coming from.

I do recall a few times when taking off rapidly from a rolling stop (like a yield sign) when I hit the gas nothing happened for a second. Like the computer was trying to "catch up" and then it would grab the gear and go. No slamming, slipping or revving. Just like the lights were on but nobody was home. Not sure it it's related but I just remembered it happening.

The noise just bugs me because it sounds like a 1980s Ford with low power steering fluid. Ugh!

I have one year left of factory warranty, hopefully if something is going to crater it happens soon...

Desmocruiser, you are spot on about when it is noticeable and how it sounds. My first thought was power steering pump. The dealer said the pump sounds normal. Also the sound doesn't change when you turn the steering wheel from side to side. So that is ruled out; at least for now.

Sandroad, I agree that it may be a characteristic of the 8-speed transmission. After really listening to it today, I think that is where the noise is coming from.

I do recall a few times when taking off rapidly from a rolling stop (like a yield sign) when I hit the gas nothing happened for a second. Like the computer was trying to "catch up" and then it would grab the gear and go. No slamming, slipping or revving. Just like the lights were on but nobody was home. Not sure it it's related but I just remembered it happening.

The noise just bugs me because it sounds like a 1980s Ford with low power steering fluid. Ugh!

I have one year left of factory warranty, hopefully if something is going to crater it happens soon...

That is too funny, yes just like 80’s era Fords and it can be annoying!

But hey it’s a Land Cruiser I am not sure I have had one without idiosyncrasies!

Does the whine sound louder in the cabin? I feel like my 19 makes a funny, higher pitched sound when slowly accelerating (like driving out of a driveway or other slow speeds). Mine just plane sounds funny when it’s cold and I’m driving slow.

Yep. I don’t think I have ever heard mine outside the cabin or maybe just haven’t tried

Does the whine sound louder in the cabin? I feel like my 19 makes a funny, higher pitched sound when slowly accelerating (like driving out of a driveway or other slow speeds). Mine just plane sounds funny when it’s cold and I’m driving slow.

If you're describing the noise I'm thinking of, mine has it too. I notice it above 1,000 RPMs. My 2014 had a similar sound. I think it's a pretty standard series 200 sound.

It's a different sound than the low groan I was asking about from my original post.

All kinds of sounds these things make! Kind of like watching YouTube videos of army tanks in action... oh wait LCs are tanks!

One thing is true of all our 5.7 and the systems that go with it...
-When we first start up? Everything is extra LOUD. It’s like starting up wind, wave and storm machines all at once. Lots of blowing, whirring and etc. It seems to calm down after a few minutes, but it’s come up many times on the forum about how loud everything is from cold start.

I listened to the videos a few times and it sounds like my 2020 does - which is to say normal (IMO). All cars at idle make noises when cycling different systems that sound odd or even disconcerting. (Probably make similar noises at speed too, but it's hard to stand outside your car and listen at 60mph).

I have noticed the same feeling that on occasion the gear does not immediately grab when going slow while gently applying the gas - especially when maneuvering (as you said no slamming or slipping). Glad to know I am not unique and that is is likely a characteristic of the vehicle.

Yep, cold starts are noisy for sure. I just find it odd that this particular noise (the one from the OP) remains consistent when cold or fully warmed up - even after a 5 hour road trip. And that some 2019s have it and some don't. My neighbor has a beautiful 2019 in blue onyx pearl and his is quiet as as a mouse when warmed up. I'd like to trade him!

I'm glad to hear that there are others that are experiencing this noise.

Thanks again for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom