Builds GRNMCHN starting over from the floor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm..... DONE! Stab me with a fork.

Cancer treatments are in the books. It's the weirdest kind of bitter sweet. 5 days a week for two a month and a half seeing the same great friends and fun people at Provision. I just had to break virus protocol and got a big hung from my favorite nurse. She was suck a beaming pleasure. It made the less than enjoyable parts of the treatment seem like nothing. The next time I even mention this will be in three months when I get my blood tested to see where the PSA number sits. The goal is 0.0. We shall see..............
Congratulatuons.

So glad to see others with as bad typos as I make.

THANKS!

Okay. Don't know why but I don't remember putting new drum brakes being so stinking' hard. Those blasted holder springs are the worst. We had to cut the springs down to even begin to get the twist to happen. To add insult to injury, we had to do ALL 4 CORNERS! Boy, am I glad that's over.

Shoes in rear.jpeg

Shoes in front.jpeg

Okay. Don't know why but I don't remember putting new drum brakes being so stinking' hard. Those blasted holder springs are the worst. We had to cut the springs down to even begin to get the twist to happen. To add insult to injury, we had to do ALL 4 CORNERS! Boy, am I glad that's over.

Well, as we all know the drum brake was invented by Louis Renault, for which he was the 1902 recipient of the prestigious Sadism in Engineering award.

And yes... We know the second long spring is on the wrong side. Don't beat us up for something we catch on our own. Lazy mistake. :vomit:

Last edited:
Starting to reveal some of the progress now. A couple of things have slowed the process but all's well. Should have the few items forgotten about ready by Wednesday to roll the baby outside. Of course, it's most likely going to rain when we're ready so that might delay the shots I long for in this process.

So here are some small items. The pinion flanges as before and after. In line with my common shots.
IMG_0320.jpeg

My version of the Warn hubs as I see what will go best with the over all look of the GRNMCHN when it's finished.
IMG_0321.jpeg

(The guts still aren't in there so they don't have the allen heads in there yet.)

Those damn wheel cylinders. Turns out they labeled three boxes wrong and duplicated a fourth labeled wrong. O don't blame the supplier, I blame the manufacturer. Lines up the boxes in the right corners and checked the crowns for accuracy. Looks good. Installed. Then payed attention to the other side when I was ready to start making brake lines and I'll be damn. Half of them were wrong. One, I get ... maybe. But 4?!? So do yourself a favor, check both sides before you install. I've never had this problem before so I wasn't paying enough attention. Bit us in the butt.

Yeah, I'm pissed. @74FJ40newbie drove over here 24hrs after having knee surgery just to keep me from having to do it all alone. What a guy.

@FJ60Cam Give us the update on the motor. I hear it's interesting...

@FJ60Cam Give us the update on the motor. I hear it's interesting...

I stopped by the machine shop to drop off some bigger pistons (this has been bored a time or two already), and got a look at the fresh head with the new valves...

BFF3A7D0-1137-41F4-9D77-30EF6607521C.jpeg

If you remember the piston from earlier...

482ED0DA-08D6-4FA4-B0F3-A45171D0CE5E.jpeg

...once the head was cleaned up, we could see where this ingested a nut or some other FOD at some point. It bounced around the combustion chamber a few times, tearing up a valve seat in the process, before spitting it out:

3BAC88D8-01C5-4BB1-89CC-E8C85EACBADA.jpeg

There is also a repaired corner of the head where we’re guessing it was dropped & lost a chunk:

9E56D172-BD33-4CEB-80B2-27C094686EA4.jpeg

I’ll go pick this up next week and put into the rotation for assembly.

Well, finally something to write about. Picked up the engine from @FJ60Cam and dropped in in the new frame. Looks great. Started to add the Trans/T-case and found it does NOT want to get in the bushing. After a while of back and forth, we decided to save it for new patience on a new day. Will have to wait until Wednesday though. But an interesting shot of the STPCHLD without it's engine and the GRNMCHN with the new engine. Not to worry, the F motor is in good hands with Cam as we I write. In about a month, that truck should be running again.
IMG_0069.jpeg

Cool to see one of Cam's engines going in a truck up here.

"Slowly we turned, step by step, inch by inch..."

Took longer than I'd like to admit but the transmission and t-case are in. Tightest fit into the pilot bearing I've ever seen.
Never heard Neil cuss that much before. :rofl:
IMG_0556.jpeg

Coming up next:
The prettiest Cruiser drive shafts I've ever seen.

Need better pics or at least more detailed but that’ll come later.
7DF3DCD0-5120-4862-B993-FACB1735EF32.jpeg
415DB822-5156-4E85-B725-79D7D302DBE6.jpeg

shameless plug for the STPCHLD.

It may be some time before there's anything this significant to post. A 90%+ rolling chassis. No manifolds and attachments yet. But I just HAD to roll this girl out in the sunshine today. She just looked so good in the minimal light of the garage. (Half of my LED lights began to turn the shop into a disco.) Only half of the lights are currently hooked up.

Behold! The firm foundation of GRNMCHN.
IMG_0629.jpeg

IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

The locking hub bodies should have counter sunk holes for cone washers, curious if they have the holes for the dowel pins ?

Not these. I believe that was common on new versions of the hubs. These are early coarse spline hubs. They have a straight clearance hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom