Grinding/vibrating noise on deceleration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it’s going to be hard to diagnose this without hearing it but I thought I should ask on the forum before I get any crazy ideas. So on my 96, there’s an odd grinding/vibrating noise whenever I let go of the gas whenever I am above 25 mph. If I am cruising around under that, there’s no noise, or it’s so quiet I don’t even hear it. But during acceleration there’s no noise at all, it’s only on deceleration, any ideas?

So the cruiser has been driving free from this noise and vibration for years and then suddenly, for no known or imagined reason, it’s growling at you on deceleration?

What do you know about the maintenance history of this 80? Do you know the details on you lift springs?
I bought the rig a few months ago, and I just made an account on this forum yesterday, I just thought I would ask about it now that I found this forum, so it’s been going on since I got the rig in December

I'm thinking this is a new to him truck. What kind of caster correction was used when the lift was installed?
Not a clue, I didn’t install the lift, as I mentioned above, I bought it in December and the owners before me said they put it on, but they said they never noticed any vibrations/grinding. I’m kind of a noob to these rigs so I am just trying to get pushed in the right direction for this issue

I bought the rig a few months ago, and I just made an account on this forum yesterday, I just thought I would ask about it now that I found this forum, so it’s been going on since I got the rig in December
I see you live in Oregon. I’m just across the river from Portland 25 miles. I am willing to help with this if you live close enough.

Not a clue, I didn’t install the lift, as I mentioned above, I bought it in December and the owners before me said they put it on, but they said they never noticed any vibrations/grinding. I’m kind of a noob to these rigs so I am just trying to get pushed in the right direction for this issue
take a picture of the axle where the arms bolt to it and post it up on here.

I have been told this is a classic description of a pinion bearing or transfer case output bearing.... That's what it was on my 91.

But I would still recommend new u-joints because they are easier and cheaper to swap. Plus new U-joints are less likely to fail and leave you stranded.

I have been told this is a classic description of a pinion bearing or transfer case output bearing.... That's what it was on my 91.

But I would still recommend new u-joints because they are easier and cheaper to swap. Plus new U-joints are less likely to fail and leave you stranded.
😩Don’t tell me that, not another big job, please! I’ll find a write up elsewhere, but how many bananas (and dollars) are we talking on a pinion or transfer case bearing?

😩Don’t tell me that, not another big job, please! I’ll find a write up elsewhere, but how many bananas (and dollars) are we talking on a pinion or transfer case bearing?

51pm7f.jpg

Haha, just kidding. I really have no idea. I drove my 91 for 4 years with this growl until one day it finally got worse. I just paid a guy to do a new front pinion bearing and the growl disappeared.

Just check your U-joints before anything. If it is not a your U-joints than I would honestly just drive it until it gets worse. You might have another 30,000 miles before it has to get fixed. And for all you know you might total the rig next month....Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

View attachment 2614200

Haha, just kidding. I really have no idea. I drove my 91 for 4 years with this growl until one day it finally got worse. I just paid a guy to do a new front pinion bearing and the growl disappeared.

Just check your U-joints before anything. If it is not a your U-joints than I would honestly just drive it until it gets worse. You might have another 30,000 miles before it has to get fixed. And for all you know you might total the rig next month....Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
If it's truly a pinion or tcase bearing. You do not want to keep driving it that way. Same with bad Ujoints. When they go out, they do a whole lot more damage and cost way more than just fixing it right away. I bought an 80 with an a UJ that let loose at 65mph. Most people would not have saved that 80, but I fixed it and got it repaired. Saved an 80 from the junk yard.

If it's truly a pinion or tcase bearing. You do not want to keep driving it that way. Same with bad Ujoints. When they go out, they do a whole lot more damage and cost way more than just fixing it right away. I bought an 80 with an a UJ that let loose at 65mph. Most people would not have saved that 80, but I fixed it and got it repaired. Saved an 80 from the junk yard.
Yeah I would agree, I am not saying drive it until it explodes. But usually something like a pinion bearing will gradually get worse. If a pinion bearing is growling but not so bad that you can't feel any play in the yoke or diagnose it without tearing into the diff, than in my opinion it just makes sense to drive it until it becomes bad enough to easily identify the problem but not until it blows out and destroys everything....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom