Grinding Sound Go Nuts!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!!

OK I've had it. For a while, when I go over bumps or hit my brakes, I get a "metal on metal" sound coming(I think) from the front right hand side of my truck?? I sounds like my tie rods or something is rubbing something. I've looked and looked, can't see anything that's rubbing. I've had friends help me "listen" to where the noise is coming from, just the same as I figured, front passenger side area. Jacked it up, tire/wheel moves fine, no noise, brakes are adjusted properly, drum surface is good, etc. As I'm driving on a flat surface, not braking, it's fine, tracks great, brakes don't pull to any side:confused:

Re-greased all of the zerks etc, still have the problem. My hubs work fine, the knuckles are not leaking etc. I'm out of ideas. The one thing I did discover is that when I back up and try to get it to make the same grinding sound, it won't. Only when I'm moving forward and hit some dips in the road or hit the brakes. It hasn't gotten worse or better with time and I can't figure it out. Just replaced all of the tie rod ends and they were fine. So with no tale/tale signs of metal looking like it's hitting something, I admit defeat. Oh yeah, it's a stock set-up.

Could it be my knuckle/birfield/my imagination?? Any help would be great. I'm just hopping it's not expensive and I'm sure it will be.

Thanks, Tim:beer:

Last edited:
check your front spring bushings
Hey Brad,

Just replaced the bushings last Summer. I'll check them again. Hope it's not them, what a PITA the first. This time would be easier since they're not 30+ years old.

Tim

Shocks or shock bushings?
Springs themselves? (need lubed)
Worn loose body mount on that side?
Broken hood hinge that side?
Broken Windshield hinge that side?
Missing hood rubbers?

Just some other things to check... :D

Howdy! I would check for the tire rubbing on the shock. My second guess is your wheels have the wrong backspacing and they are rubbing on the ends of the steering arms, but you should of seen that when you did the tie rod ends. John

Describe the noise in more detail. How long does it last? Does it vary with tire speed. Is it impact related. Grinding would mean something that lasts a few seconds and would depend on something rotating. Did you break a birfield?

Describe the noise in more detail. How long does it last? Does it vary with tire speed. Is it impact related. Grinding would mean something that lasts a few seconds and would depend on something rotating. Did you break a birfield?
Hello Pin Head,

The noise sounds like it's a noise from something rotating. It sounds like metal rubbing metal but the volumei/rhythm does not change. I do not go off road much, so I don't think I broke a birf, but who knows though. When I first bought the truck I put wheels with the wrong backspacing on it. The wheel was rubbing the tie rod and I could "feel" it in the steering wheel too. With this noise, I do not "feel" it in the steering. The noise only happens when I'm under load ie: braking, or just going over dips in the road?? It must be the internals of the hub, I was just hoping someone had the same issue that I'm having and could help me out. The problem I'm having is trying to describe the noise.

Thanks for your help!! Tim

Are you sure it's coming from the front wheel and not underneath? I had a similar mystery sound that ended up being the parking brake drum hitting the skid plate. Every time I hit a bump I got that quick grinding noise. My rear motor mounts had sagged enough with age to put the parking brake too close to the plate.

Are you sure it's coming from the front wheel and not underneath? I had a similar mystery sound that ended up being the parking brake drum hitting the skid plate. Every time I hit a bump I got that quick grinding noise. My rear motor mounts had sagged enough with age to put the parking brake too close to the plate.
MDH33

Now there's an idea I didn't think of. I will check it out when I get home.

Thank you, Tim

Hello Pin Head,

The noise sounds like it's a noise from something rotating. It sounds like metal rubbing metal but the volumei/rhythm does not change. I do not go off road much, so I don't think I broke a birf, but who knows though. When I first bought the truck I put wheels with the wrong backspacing on it. The wheel was rubbing the tie rod and I could "feel" it in the steering wheel too. With this noise, I do not "feel" it in the steering. The noise only happens when I'm under load ie: braking, or just going over dips in the road?? It must be the internals of the hub, I was just hoping someone had the same issue that I'm having and could help me out. The problem I'm having is trying to describe the noise.

Thanks for your help!! Tim

If your wheels are really close and your wheel bearings have some play the wheels could wobble just enough on braking or bumps to rub and make the sound.

Hello Pin Head,

The noise sounds like it's a noise from something rotating. It sounds like metal rubbing metal but the volumei/rhythm does not change.

If the noise doesn't change with wheel rotation speed, then it can't be the wheel / hub. I can't think of anything that fits your description.

Check to see if your front driveshaft is hitting the skidplate. My skid took a lil' dent wheeling and the shaft would hit on droop. Of course if you're running lockouts the front shaft should not be spinning under normal driving anyway (assuming you keep the lockouts open normally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom