Grinding/rubbing noise turning left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Columbia South Carolina and Cedar Mountain NC
A5EE869A-2617-429A-BD6B-1964E2DF2690.jpeg
EBE7C0F7-CD5B-4890-939B-1686BD89A610.jpeg
A97D48C5-9C1A-425A-B443-947209033A48.jpeg
Found another cause of grinding/rubbing noise turning left. Exhaust pipe replaced by PO. 33in tires. Spare on R side of 1972 FJ40 with typical lean to right. When make turn to left the body leans to right and inside tire edge rubs on tail pipe. Asked my wife to sit in back to identify and it made noise just driving straight- and she’s not heavy. You can see wear on tire. Other than move pipe or smaller tires could this be bad shocks or springs?

If you take a close look at your first picture you will see where the tail pipe hanger has moved forward from its' original location. Try loosening the bolt and putting it back where it was originally and see if you still have a tail pipe/tire clearance issue. If you do, one of them is going to have to change. It is not the springs or shocks.

So, I took a ratchet strap and pulled the tail pipe away and up from the tire and tightened the hanger bolt and it seems fine now. Appears that the hanger strap had shifted forward, see first pic.

On another note, I have 33x10.5x15 BFGs on stock 15x5.5 in wheels and it has a 2.5in OME lift. The tires crown badly and only the center tread makes contact. If I drive in rain or snow I wonder if traction will be an issue. Any suggestions for narrower tire?

Let some air out of the tires to reduce the crown, sounds like too much air pressure

I only have 31's and run around 28 psi. for normal driving and get even wear. I don't know how low you could go before it stated feeling squirrely but 28 might be a good place to start.

What side does the tailpipe exhaust from? Looks like the right side. Toyota didn't move the exhaust to the right side on the FJ40 until the 75 model. Pictures taken a little further back would help with a better perspective how it's run. The 75 plus is right at the back corner not forward. Just stretching the hanger back good chance if you hit a good size pothole and the rear axle flexes back your will still rub. Single bolt on the strap it can pivot back over time to where it was in the picture. What you did sounds like a trail/road repair that needs to be fixed correctly once home.:meh:

If the PO had the newer style exhausted installed did he add the heat shield where the exhaust crosses over in the back?

34 lbs. What is ideal pressure?

Keep letting air out until you think you have a good contact patch. Then put a two foot diameter puddle of water in front of the tire and roll the truck forward enough to hit the puddle and lay a wet track back down on dry pavement. Do a little research on appropriate contact patches. You will be surprised at the difference from mfg specs.

It’s safety vs fuel economy.

You can pay now, or you can pay later.

You can also use chalk to mark the tread and roll forward. You can see your contact patch by the chalk left on the tire. Drop the pressure until you get an across the tread patch.

So, I took a ratchet strap and pulled the tail pipe away and up from the tire and tightened the hanger bolt and it seems fine now. Appears that the hanger strap had shifted forward, see first pic.

On another note, I have 33x10.5x15 BFGs on stock 15x5.5 in wheels and it has a 2.5in OME lift. The tires crown badly and only the center tread makes contact. If I drive in rain or snow I wonder if traction will be an issue. Any suggestions for narrower tire?

You need a wider rim.

I did a chalk test before. Will try letting out air however these 33x10.5x15 were not meant to be on stock 15 in wheels and you cannot get the 9.5 anymore.
View attachment 1616465 View attachment 1616466 Chalk test

I had my stock centers welded into 15x8s; problem solved. However, I still run my tires ‘under-inflated’. A lot.

There’s a long story on here somewhere about my early experience with tire pressure.

Edit: post 26
What tire pressure to use.

If the PO had the newer style exhausted installed did he add the heat shield where the exhaust crosses over in the back?[/QUOTE]

What does the heat shield look like? I know the PO had the exhaust replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom