Grinding Noise Driving Me Crazy - Video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 80 series 240,000 miles
All stock
Ignore check engine light- emmisions code
No lockers

The strangest low almost unnoticed hard to hear at some times louder at others, grinding noise has been driving me nuts, at first I thought it was coming from my right front tire, all new tires- brake pads- wheele bearings inspected. I believe now I have isolated the noise down to under the center consol.
Grinding only starts usually after 10-15 minutes of driving. Which makes me think something that is greased is getting thin when warm. Possible drive shaft? Differential?
Anyone experienced anything similar?
The noise occurs over any humps when the truck bounces up and down. Sounds metal on metal or like a buzzer going on and off with the ups and downs of the truck. But only going 10-40 and only when the truck bounces up and down.

1996 80 series 240,000 miles
All stock
Ignore check engine light- emmisions code
No lockers

The strangest low almost unnoticed hard to hear at some times louder at others, grinding noise has been driving me nuts, at first I thought it was coming from my right front tire, all new tires- brake pads- wheele bearings inspected. I believe now I have isolated the noise down to under the center consol.
Grinding only starts usually after 10-15 minutes of driving. Which makes me think something that is greased is getting thin when warm. Possible drive shaft? Differential?
Anyone experienced anything similar?
The noise occurs over any humps when the truck bounces up and down. Sounds metal on metal or like a buzzer going on and off with the ups and downs of the truck. But only going 10-40 and only when the truck bounces up and down.

No lift?

Show us a pic of your front drive shaft installed. One of each end and one of the entire length of it.

What recent service?

I have a couple ideas, but it depends on your answer which direction to go.

While you're at it, do the rear DS as well.

No lift?

Show us a pic of your front drive shaft installed. One of each end and one of the entire length of it.

What recent service?

Here are some photos of the front and then the rear- any help is appreciated. Greased the u joints last week- bought 4 new tires hoping I would see a difference. They were overdue anyway. No difference. Nothing else drive train related has been done. Wheel bearings are good- kind of sounded like one at first but pinpointing the noise to under the console and not left or right… don’t mind the oil leak.

F66189EC-D084-4D3D-B921-36A8EDDC4033.jpeg

2926943D-8968-4D74-9167-2235072E0470.jpeg

D8C01C5B-2A69-4D57-9FE6-5753326B7E2C.jpeg

05680559-CEE6-44A8-8072-523EFC3DEB21.jpeg

99E84C94-B2BD-4317-AFE5-C0844A53FAD8.jpeg

No lift?

What recent service?

Recent services- diff and transfer case oil which I thought would help… and it did not.
Checked and added grease to the birfs.
U joints greased
Oil change
All fluids appear fine
4 new tires
Alignment

Maybe this is related- a what I believe to be drive shaft clunk at times when gears and shifting or some park to drive. Intermittent

My thoughts are now going to some type of carrier bearing which I’m assuming is in the diff? Don’t want to throw more money until I have some opinions or educated guesses!

Here are some photos of the front and then the rear- any help is appreciated. Greased the u joints last week- bought 4 new tires hoping I would see a difference. They were overdue anyway. No difference. Nothing else drive train related has been done. Wheel bearings are good- kind of sounded like one at first but pinpointing the noise to under the console and not left or right… don’t mind the oil leak.

View attachment 3068741

View attachment 3068742

View attachment 3068743

View attachment 3068744

View attachment 3068745
OK, you've got a couple things going on. I cannot tell 100% from your pics, but here goes:

1) BOTH of your DS need to have the slip yoke to the FRONT of the truck. The front DS has it mounted to the differential. The rear DS should be attached to the T-Case.
2) Phase. Your front DS should be 90° out of phase. Rear DS should be in phase.
3) In pic #1, what is the rectangular chunk of ??? as part of the U-Joint? That does not look like it belongs there. I don't think it's the grease zerk.
4) In pic #2, towards the TOP of the pic. Is that a broken weld on the DS or what? something is not right there. Looks like the drive shaft tube is peeled open or something? Your camera is giving wonky visuals.
5) Also in Pic #2, What is the bracket or chunk of ??? near the front of the DS that looks to be hanging at an odd angle like the diff may be hitting it during rotation and bumps?

You did not send pics of the overall DS on either front or rear in order to confirm phase on either shaft.

I would say new U-Joints are in order. Check with Cruiser Outfitters for good options (Matsuba). You could also buy new complete DS from Toyota for about $400 each and they come with new U-Joints.

Also.

Do NOT fix your oil leaks. Your truck needs them.

You also need new suspension and panhard bar bushings and new shocks.

All parts available from Toyota.

OK, you've got a couple things going on. I cannot tell 100% from your pics, but here goes:

1) BOTH of your DS need to have the slip yoke to the FRONT of the truck. The front DS has it mounted to the differential. The rear DS should be attached to the T-Case.
2) Phase. Your front DS should be 90° out of phase. Rear DS should be in phase.
3) In pic #1, what is the rectangular chunk of ??? as part of the U-Joint? That does not look like it belongs there. I don't think it's the grease zerk.
4) In pic #2, towards the TOP of the pic. Is that a broken weld on the DS or what? something is not right there. Looks like the drive shaft tube is peeled open or something? Your camera is giving wonky visuals.
5) Also in Pic #2, What is the bracket or chunk of ??? near the front of the DS that looks to be hanging at an odd angle like the diff may be hitting it during rotation and bumps?

You did not send pics of the overall DS on either front or rear in order to confirm phase on either shaft.

I would say new U-Joints are in order. Check with Cruiser Outfitters for good options (Matsuba). You could also buy new complete DS from Toyota for about $400 each and they come with new U-Joints.
His front driveshaft looks correct to me. Slip yoke at the front diff.
That rectangular piece is the grease fitting.

Any play in those u-joints? This isn't really an uncommon noise in 80s. Dig around and there are quite a few threads regarding it. For some reason failed u-joints transmit a motion to the t-case that pisses it off. Seems to be more common in rear shafts.

We recently went through this with @bush 's truck. He had barely any play in the rear joint of the rear shaft. Sounded exactly like your clip just way louder. Swapped in a spare shaft and problem disappeared.

I assume if you hit 60-65 then let it coast its fairly constant until it drops speed a bit. Mine also had a high pitch metal ringing that would kick in toward the end of the groan/grinding sound.

Try U-Joints from your local toyota dealer.

It's hard to web Dx noises that are this subtle but if we're suspecting a DS, perhaps just remove them one at a time and lock the center diff then see if anything changes?

If the noise is still there, then it's time to totally remove the front axle housing rotating members by removing the outer hub drive plates, leave the front DS still disconnected, lock the CDL and go for a spin on the same EXACT route. This will prevent anything inside the front diff housing from rotating.

Always keep the same route in order to eliminate one variable.

Good luck and I feel ya!

Thanks everyone- I think ill be replacing the U joints- I also have a feeling it could possibly be the differential carrier bearing? Greasing u joints don’t help. Does not happen at high speeds- only accelerating from 5mph to 45 ish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom