Grinding breaks on new repair? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just paid for new rotors and pads.
Wagners and slightly upgraded rotors.

They grind!
Even when no break is applied they slightly grind!
ALso the rotors are not slotted but look like they have circles of lines on them!

My old rotors were totally shot so they could not have reused them.
He suggested I go with a rotor upgrade and I did.

The pads are FJ100 with some kind of mods.

They all had nice Cruisers!

Did they just "Fail" or did a rush job or not finish or did they try to screw me?

Also they grind with no break depressed at all on an intermittent "Woosh, silent, Woosh" like they are crooked.

Im going there tomorrow but could use some ammo to deal with this issue.

Thanks!

:popcorn:

Sounds like a caliper is sticking.Does it pull to one side? Mike

Yes it pulls slightly. Is the caliper dead or just a simple adjustment?

You can try taking it off and moving the pistons back and forth.But Id start saving for another.Should be on the side its pulling to. MIke

Could it be that whomever did the pad job actually installed one (or more!) of the brake pads "backward?" Meaning that the metal backing is against the rotor and the friction material is facing the caliper pistons?

Don't ask me just how I know about this brake-doomsday-scenario!

Grinding Brakes (Breaks?)

Could it be that whomever did the pad job actually installed one (or more!) of the brake pads "backward?" Meaning that the metal backing is against the rotor and the friction material is facing the caliper pistons?

Don't ask me just how I know about this brake-doomsday-scenario!

Wow, I thought I was the only one. Sure will score a rotor in a hurry.

If you installed new series 100 pads on an 80, could be the extra thickness of the 100 pads (on new, thick rotors) cause it to drag. If they reduced the thickness of the 100 pads to make them fit, maybe did not reduce the thickness of one enough?

They may owe you new rotors if the ones you have are scored. I would not pay for new ones if they have to turn them to remove damage they caused, but I am fussy that way.

I agree could also be a sticking piston, or a corroded slide pin in the back calipers. Be sure all the rubber stoppers and plugs are in good shape, as leaking or missing ones can let water in to corrode stuff.

Also the truck is like new, 90,000 miles always garaged.
We use for snow then put back in the garage.

I cant imagine its rusted out, but im no expert! :meh:

If you installed new series 100 pads on an 80, could be the extra thickness of the 100 pads (on new, thick rotors) cause it to drag. If they reduced the thickness of the 100 pads to make them fit, maybe did not reduce the thickness of one enough?

The pads are thicker, which is why you don't use the anti-squeal shims with them. They are thick enough that it's a tight fit, and they very well may rub slightly until they wear down a tiny bit.

O ok, I had ZERO breaks on the rear.
He did them for $215 and the rotors were good.
Fires all out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom