Grinding and squealing noise front engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

All of a sudden today I started noticing a grinding noise coming from what seems like the radiator fan. It’s loudest and most apparent at idle, and the engine noise drowns it out at higher speed. Is this a fan bracket issue?

Easy to diagnose: Remove the serpentine belt and check all pulley bearings for smooth, free movement. The crunchy one is your problem.....

I think you're right, fan bracket would be my primary suspect.

Fan bracket is a possible suspect but before just throwing parts at it follow these steps

• Check belt tensioner using a 14mm. It should have plenty of resistance and it also should feel smooth.
  • Remove the belt while your there
  • Start engine and keep your fingers crossed that the noise goes away
    >> If it doesn't go away then your up against a timing belt component failing
  • Assuming the noise goes away start spinning pulleys and see which one needs help
  • They should feel smooth, with some resistance
  • They should not free spin and make noise

Well I found out the hard way what the problem was. The fan bracket pulley seized up and snapped my serpentine belt while driving the cruiser yesterday. Had to have it towed and now curious what kind of cost I should expect at a mechanic?
I’m in Denver.

Well I found out the hard way what the problem was. The fan bracket pulley seized up and snapped my serpentine belt while driving the cruiser yesterday. Had to have it towed and now curious what kind of cost I should expect at a mechanic?
I’m in Denver.

So this is like doing half the timing belt. Taking out few of the major and minor radiator hoses, cam covers (cam sensor), some of the pulleys (if not most), then taking out the ac compressor from the side to slide out the fan bracket.

I would say it's a 3-4 hour job for someone who has mechanical experience but has not done it. Imho.

Same happened to me and as BnvS stated, you're well on your way to doing the timing belt. I was about 120k from last timing belt job so I ended doing that as well with fan bracket, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, radiator (was original), heater T's, etc.

If timing belt due or near due (earlier of 90K miles or 7 yrs). Have it done now. Then labor cost is all the T-belt service, and fan bracket is only a part cost..

Aisin fan bracket is okay. The Toyota Aisin is manufacture to a higher standard.

Due to the urgency of the situation, being that it was 4th of July weekend and I had plans requiring I need my cruiser (it's my DD), I took my car to MIDAS to get repaired. I bought the parts from dealer.
The fan bracket cost $250, Serpentine belt cost $45.
Install was 3.5 hrs of labor. BnvS was spot on above. 3-4 hrs was accurate.
Total cost of labor was $414.

All together this job cost me $710. I'm sure I could've found cheaper labor if it wasn't a holiday weekend when most mechanics were closed. Either way, it got me back on the road in 4 hours, and I feel confident knowing the parts are OEM and the labor is warrantied for one year.

If timing belt due or near due (earlier of 90K miles or 7 yrs). Have it done now. Then labor cost is all the T-belt service, and fan bracket is only a part cost..

Aisin fan bracket is okay. The Toyota Aisin is manufacture to a higher standard.
I recently did my timing belt service, including water pump (not even 5k miles ago). I also recently changed my heater T's at the same time I did timing belt, as well as new radiator and radiator hoses. This fan bracket was the original from 1998. The car has 380,000 miles on it and I was the first one to change the timing belt at 376,000 miles. I've been baselining this vehicle little by little. It's a family car that was recently gifted to me. Single owner, and had been purchased new in 1998 so I have the service history since original purchase.

I recently did my timing belt service, including water pump (not even 5k miles ago). I also recently changed my heater T's at the same time I did timing belt, as well as new radiator and radiator hoses. This fan bracket was the original from 1998. The car has 380,000 miles on it and I was the first one to change the timing belt at 376,000 miles. I've been baselining this vehicle little by little. It's a family car that was recently gifted to me. Single owner, and had been purchased new in 1998 so I have the service history since original purchase.
I assume you paid to have Timing belt service. Whomever did the job should have inspected the fan bracket. Very few ever pass my inspection, during aT-belt service. It cost the client more in parts. But increases reliability and reduces long term maintenance cost. No way in would have past inspection and at 380K miles and failed %k later.

Using Midas to do a Fan bracket or even a CAT R&R, is a very big misstate. I've corrected so many very bad mess up, these dishwasher they gave a job calling the team member or techs did. You should check all nuts and bolts torque to sec, and make sure they routed the crank & oil sensor wire harness behind the fan bracket.

I assume you paid to have Timing belt service. Whomever did the job should have inspected the fan bracket. Very few ever pass my inspection, during aT-belt service. It cost the client more in parts. But increases reliability and reduces long term maintenance cost. No way in would have past inspection and at 380K miles and failed %k later.

Using Midas to do a Fan bracket or even a CAT R&R, is a very big misstate. I've corrected so many very bad mess up, these dishwasher they gave a job calling the team member or techs did. You should check all nuts and bolts torque to sec, and make sure they routed the crank & oil sensor wire harness behind the fan bracket.
I’m not mechanically capable enough to do a check, but I see you’re in the Denver area. Are you open to the public?

When I did the T-belt, I installed a Chinesium Fan bracket. Ever since, I am not happy knowing the quality of Chinese products. About 3 months ago (after 25K miles) I installed an OEM fan braket. The Chinesium bracket has a slight play at the bearing. Had to remove passenger side timing cover and small pieces around, AC mounting bolt etc., to install the New brakcet.

I’m not mechanically capable enough to do a check, but I see you’re in the Denver area. Are you open to the public?
Yes, stop by most anytime. PM with contract (ph and or email) info, and I'll get back to with address West of DTC area.

One thing I’ve noticed since this repair was done is that my AC only blows cold at higher speeds and intermittently. At idle it blows warmer air. There’s also a strange sound that sounds like air pressure releasing that occasionally occurs. Any clue to either of these causes?

I recharged the Freon so I know it’s not a low Freon issue. And there was dye put into the AC lines and no leak is showing.

One thing I’ve noticed since this repair was done is that my AC only blows cold at higher speeds and intermittently. At idle it blows warmer air. There’s also a strange sound that sounds like air pressure releasing that occasionally occurs. Any clue to either of these causes?

I recharged the Freon so I know it’s not a low Freon issue. And there was dye put into the AC lines and no leak is showing.

The "add more Freon" kits are notorious for overcharging a system and causing many of the same symptoms as being undercharged; however, it does have the benefit of adding Freon and PAG oil in the system to prevent the compressor from failing until you can get it looked at.

If the shop didn't put a new dryer, expansion valve, and vacuum/fill/pressure test system they may not have fully fixed the problem.

My brother has a '03 or 04 LX in Denver and is looking for a LC mechanic. Can I get a recommendation? I found some in Arvada but was hoping for something closer to the DTC Area. T hanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom