Grinder Recommendation for Trail-Tailor Rear Lower Control Arm Skid Installation. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
How is everybody grinding down the rear LCA front mount tabs to install the Trail-Tailor skids?

I don't really have a "grinder" for this type of operation. I feel like if I hammer the tabs in it will create another problem with the Johnny Joint binding.

Do I need a flapper grinder like the ones that welders use?

1616851755164.png

For minimal use, a $15 harbor freight grinder and a decent flap disc will do.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll head to HF and pick one up right now.

I banged them on- haven’t had an issue with the JJ. I would recommend reusing the factory spring washers- they will help the nuts tight.

I banged them on- haven’t had an issue with the JJ. I would recommend reusing the factory spring washers- they will help the nuts tight.

This. I banged mine on and good luck to anyone who wants to remove them. The tabs on my mounts were nicely beaten up, too.

I'd be reluctant to grind anything down and thin the metal that's there. It probably won't pose any issue but if they can go on with all of the original steel in place, IMO, that's preferable.

Ok - I took a hybrid approach. I beat the tabs down with a BFH while I had the JJ mounted and held in place with the original bolt to keep from completely deforming the bracket.
Then I took out the JJ and sanded down the rough edges with the flapper to smooth out the surface. So now it looks somewhat professional and didn't sacrifice any structural metal. Now to prime and paint the exposed metal from the sanding.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Next issue.. Do I need to flip the arm so the JJ is at the rear by the axle and get a 90 degree angle zerk that I can reach from the top on the other end?

1616851173905.png

The Zerk would be best serviced on top but it is a PITA to get the grease fitting in there. Go to NAPA and buy some 90 degree zerks, and angle them to about 30' off center so that you can get the lube fitting up there between the frame mount and the JJ- leave it loose until you find the right fit- then tighten it down.

And if you're at the initial install point for your rear LCA 's with JJ's and poly bushes on the other end, I suggest using Energy Suspension Formula 5 silicone grease from day 1. I've used synthetic moly previously and it appeared to harden the bushes-& may have reduced the elasticity/memory.

The Zerk would be best serviced on top but it is a PITA to get the grease fitting in there. Go to NAPA and buy some 90 degree zerks, and angle them to about 30' off center so that you can get the lube fitting up there between the frame mount and the JJ- leave it loose until you find the right fit- then tighten it down.

And if you're at the initial install point for your rear LCA 's with JJ's and poly bushes on the other end, I suggest using Energy Suspension Formula 5 silicone grease from day 1. I've used synthetic moly previously and it appeared to harden the bushes-& may have reduced the elasticity/memory.

I just bought an assortment of zerk sizes and angles. The 45 degree zerks look like htey may work. I can go in from the opening that faces the rear. I just happened to have a tube of Superlube in the gun from another project.

I'm down to getting the bolt to go through rear mounting point. I can push the bolt through from the inside toward the shock. But I can't seem to get the right angle to push the bolt through by the shock. I just need 1mm to clear the hole. Should I remove the Panhard bar so I can swing the axle to get more movement from the axle?

Bottle jack under the axle- lift until holes line up-

I say bottle jack only because it’s easier to lift incrementally while your right under there- doesnt/shouldn’t take too much lift

UPDATE: The RLCAs have been installed. It helps to take a big crescent wrench and spread the mounts a bit so the wider TT arms will slide inside giving wiggle room to thread the bolt. When you torgue up after installation, it tighten the mouts against the joints.

Suggestions for the Johnny Joint grease zerk. I used a 45 degree zerk so I can reach a grease fitting inside the tunnel as shown in the picture below.

1616940604482.png

The Johnny Joints would benefit if provided with this type of 45 degree zerk.

1616937232309.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom