grinder failing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 4 1/2 grinder with a locking on/off switch, wants to shut itself off by itself after its on for just a short time.

is it done for? or could it just be full of metal dust from cutting and grinding?

this one is a craftsman,
but does anyone have any experiance with chicago electric that habor frt, sells?

I have three of the HF ones and a 4" Makita.

The HF ones need to be taken apart and lubed up well. After that they work great.

Get a bunch of them when they are like $9.00 each. then set one up with a flap wheel, a grinder, and a wire wheel.. or get 4 and add a cutting wheel.

That is what I did..

BTW, here is a cupon for 20% off of a single item at HF. (I just got a engine hoist, foldable, for $119.00)

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=214&email=

I just return the HF one when it starts acting up. They will do an exchange w/o a receipt at the store here.

You likely just need new brushes in your grinder - should cost you around $5 at any tool repair shop. Brushes are a normal wear item

If you are looking for a good grinder, I have many DeWalt DW400's operating where I work and they require little maintenance and have a very decent amount of power. You can get them pretty cheap - There was a sale here a few weeks ago at a major Canadian store with the grinder and a corded drill for $100CDN, so figure about $50 each...... Definately worth it.

Mace said:
I have three of the HF ones and a 4" Makita.

The HF ones need to be taken apart and lubed up well. After that they work great.

Get a bunch of them when they are like $9.00 each. then set one up with a flap wheel, a grinder, and a wire wheel.. or get 4 and add a cutting wheel.

That is what I did..

BTW, here is a cupon for 20% off of a single item at HF. (I just got a engine hoist, foldable, for $119.00)

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=214&email=

thanx jason, i like that idea.
i'm always changing from a cutting wheel to the flap sander.

do you lube them up when you get them new?

yes...

The DeWalt DW402 is a good unit, the DW400 is a POS. I have a DW402 and a Crapman that dates from the '70s, they run well, but I almost never run them, swiched over to air powered grinders and never looked back.

The DW 400 is a POS if you use it for the wrong job. Don't load it down so much - you will get years of excellent use out of it. What went wrong with yours?

I have never owned a DW400, it's a price tool made to compete with the cheap imports. A couple of my customers have bought them and then I get to work on them, with most getting tossed and replaced with DW402s. The weak points in the DW400 are, the plastic gear case flexes and causing bearing and gear failure, the pinion gear is part of the armature and the bearings ride on plastic housing, so the tool is totaled. The forward switch control also causes a bunch of problems. The weak points on the DW402 are, the brushes are somewhat undersized, needing replacement to often (the same type used in the DW400 but the tools don't last long enough to be replaced) and the field wire connectors like to work loose and have to be reattached, very rare to see bearing or gear problems with them.

Calling the DW400 a POS is probably a little strong, for a home shop they would probably hold up well, but for a few more $$ you can get the DW402, much better tool, or save some $$ and get the HF throwaway.

My customers are foundries, steel shops, fence companies, stone companies, counter top manufactures, etc., so they run them hard. Most have switched to air power, because their aren't any good electric tool manufactures left, they have mostly sold their good names for quick home depot/walmart $$$$.

Tools R Us said:
I have never owned a DW400, it's a price tool made to compete with the cheap imports. A couple of my customers have bought them and then I get to work on them, with most getting tossed and replaced with DW402s. The weak points in the DW400 are, the plastic gear case flexes and causing bearing and gear failure, the pinion gear is part of the armature and the bearings ride on plastic housing, so the tool is totaled. The forward switch control also causes a bunch of problems. The weak points on the DW402 are, the brushes are somewhat undersized, needing replacement to often (the same type used in the DW400 but the tools don't last long enough to be replaced) and the field wire connectors like to work loose and have to be reattached, very rare to see bearing or gear problems with them.

Calling the DW400 a POS is probably a little strong, for a home shop they would probably hold up well, but for a few more $$ you can get the DW402, much better tool, or save some $$ and get the HF throwaway.

My customers are foundries, steel shops, fence companies, stone companies, counter top manufactures, etc., so they run them hard. Most have switched to air power, because their aren't any good electric tool manufactures left, they have mostly sold their good names for quick home depot/walmart $$$$.

speaking of a dw402k, just went to lowes tonight, and in the "discontinued/last years stuff" they had about 12 new dw402k for $49 each. is that worth getting one or two tomorrow?

I would say $49 is good.

True Tools R us, the rear bearing does tend to melt into the case. Other than that The only problem I have had is the switch failing. Once I explained to the guys that it is not a 7" Grinder, so don't use 7" disks and lean into it for 1/2 hr at a time, they stopped burning out the rear bearings/case. I also found that usually a wrap of electrical tape around the rear bearing made a good fit back into the melted bearing "spot" and still have running grinders with that fix over a year later.

I think DeWalt (AKA Black and Decker) makes decent tools if you take care of them. Also agree that air is definately the way to go.

beaufort-fj60 said:
speaking of a dw402k, just went to lowes tonight, and in the "discontinued/last years stuff" they had about 12 new dw402k for $49 each. is that worth getting one or two tomorrow?

The DW402 is being replaced by the DW802, $49 is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom