Grill paint debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am debating on paint color for the grill on my 62. Black is the easiest and obvious route. I wasn't sure if it would be too dark though. My other option was more of a charcoal type grey like the side vents. Eventually I will do black mirrors and bumpers and probably paint the stock bumper black in the mean time.

Anyone paint charcoal/dark grey? Thoughts?

Stock.
5R6A1385.jpg

Black, keep horizontal bars chrome.
5R6A1393.jpg

Just black.
5R6A1394.jpg

Last edited:
1st pic all the way.

Stock bumper BLACK? Your nuts right? Send it to me before you do something so ridiculous.

I like all three. Number two is cool, but would be difficult.
Probably painting because chrome is pealing off the plastic grill?

Stick with the same color for the grill and mirrors.
Nice stock front bumpers are getting hard to find.

It is tough to get anything to stick to the chromed surfaces for very long.

Prep it very well, sand/scuff/blast every bit of bright work you want changed, peal all the pealing bits away...

Second time around I used Monsta Liner on the grill, headlight doors and mirrors, it has held up well over the years.

I'll trade you. I bought it blacked out and want to go back to chrome

Yeah, it’s getting hard to find nice original chrome parts. Took me a long time to find a nice grille and headlight surrounds. I’m sure you can find someone to trade.

I have the same issues with grills in my shop. After seeing a chrome spraying demonstration on TV I started searching for a shop that uses the process. I contacted the company that sells the equiptment and they led me to this man's shop. I inquired about taking a 62 grill and head lite surrounds back to original, chrome and black. I believe they are in VA.

I have not had one done yet but plan to

This is his response

Hello
Yes we can do them for you we have done a bunch of IH scout grilles and lots of other types of plastic grilles
The process includes epoxy primer then get sprayed black next is the chrome base then chrome it's self it gets 2 different topcoats of clear the next 2 days after that
Wait about a week then apply black color on top of clear
I would say the price would be 400 for the 3 pieces in the picture
The turn around time is about 3 weeks
If you have any questions please give us a call
Thanks pete
856 358 1248

is that fender painted in chip proof paint ?, do you have a build thread?
No build thread, bits and pieces all over the forum.
Monsta Liner following the high contours of the fenders and rockers. They were already pretty beat up when I did it. And now it's rusting away and I keep thrashing it.
/Hijack

Black nickel dip is what I did with mine, it's been on there for almost 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom