Greetings - New FJ60 Owner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Prior FZJ80 owner (sold last Spring after 7 years) and happy to be back in the cruiser club after purchasing my 1984 FJ60 last Friday. I love my F150 Ecoboost (tuned!) but it lacks soul. Rig was acquired thru a small, local specialty car dealer. It was previously owned by a fellow Mudder (OrygunCruiser).

Details: Oregon car its whole life with effectively two prior owners. 127K miles. Original window sticker and books. Original paint and (mostly) original interior both in terrific shape. Zero rust. A few tweaks, including ARB bumper, Magnaflow exhaust and suspension refresh with 15" steel wheels and 33" BFG's. Also been de smogged. Car is fairly tight, very clean and rungs strong overall. Tough to find an example with this kind of condition, story and miles without paying crazy numbers from my experience.

Plan: Mid May session with my preferred LC mechanic to address all required mechanical bits - after 250 miles I've noticed a groaning power steering system (when cold only), little front end play, a likely required carb tune to address rough cold start and anything else he notices. Also will finish the suspension work by going with all new leaf springs (and bushings?). Rig has fresh shocks and shackles but lift was accomplished via add a leaf. Have ordered misc cosmetic items including grill, headlight surrounds, transfer case shifter knob, Tuffy console, Cruiser Corp mats, etc.

Questions:
i. Any opinion on leaf springs when not part of a full kit? KYB shocks and unknown shackles on car currently. Will not being adding any more load to car or hauling more than my GSP's (fellow bird hunter here). Driving it daily to office.
ii. "white noise" noticeable from center dash area when clutch not engaged. Seems to be more noticeable at speed. Ideas on what this is?
iii. Wiper relay... where can I find a new one? Was making terrible buzzing noise when wipers engaged, dealer said they'd fix it for me, but removing the relay was their idea of fixing.

I pulled a Smittybilt Defender rack off (including PIAA lights) that is sitting in my garage. Great condition, could use fresh paint if you're anal like me. Will post in FS section if anyone is interested. Also will put up PO's custom ammo can center console with Tuffy cup holders and mounting piece once Tuffy is in. Free sounds like a good price on that one.

Will post more (decent) photos later today or tomorrow and progress photos as things happen! Really happy to be back active in this awesome community!

Best,
Travis

Cruiser 1.jpg

I can help with 3. Wiper relay can be taken apart and greased up. See thread below. One of the first things I had to do on mine when I got it. Kind of cool to see a relay with gears.

Thanks for the kind words and input.

I am curious to see where things settle on the suspension refresh. The KYB shocks are fresh (13K miles), but I'm not sure if they're the appropriate length for a lifted rig (target of 2 - 2.5" with the new leafs). Based on their website, it appears the KYB's have overall lengths actually slightly shorter than stock, let alone the EMU, etc. units.

Any thoughts?

If your power steering pump needs to be replaced, you might consider the Saginaw PS pump swap. I did that on mine and it's awesome. @orangefj45 can hook you up (my PS replacement was a beta version that I worked with him on. His final production kit puts my hack to shame). Your truck looks just like mine. 033 white, tinted windows, black wheels, 33's. I have no cool front bumper, but do have the H55 5 speed (which rocks). Welcome aboard.

Congrats, great looking rig!

If your power steering pump needs to be replaced, you might consider the Saginaw PS pump swap. I did that on mine and it's awesome. @orangefj45 can hook you up (my PS replacement was a beta version that I worked with him on. His final production kit puts my hack to shame). Your truck looks just like mine. 033 white, tinted windows, black wheels, 33's. I have no cool front bumper, but do have the H55 5 speed (which rocks). Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the suggestion! The H55 is a swap I’ve also admired. What is the gearing like on it? Similar to factory with 5th acting as a proper highway gear, or are you shuffling thru gears more frequently than stock?

Thanks for the suggestion! The H55 is a swap I’ve also admired. What is the gearing like on it? Similar to factory with 5th acting as a proper highway gear, or are you shuffling thru gears more frequently than stock?
First gear is really short. I often start out in 2nd gear, but 5th is the bomb on the highway. With some rubber overdrive (33s) and the 5th gear, I go about 2,200 RMP at highway speeds (60-65). Its really nice to not have the 2F sound like it's about to detonate on road trips.

As an aside, I bought my rig from a guy in portland when I lived in Scottsdale. He had the engine rebuilt and the H55 installed by Landcruiser NW. It's been 60K miles since the rebuilt and all is well. Not sure how much wrenching you plan to do on your rig, but based on my truck, their driveline work has held up. I did end up redoing the the knuckle rebuild they did (with OEM seals) and went with the Marlin Crawler inner seals and have had no problems in 4 years.

First gear is really short. I often start out in 2nd gear, but 5th is the bomb on the highway. With some rubber overdrive (33s) and the 5th gear, I go about 2,200 RMP at highway speeds (60-65). Its really nice to not have the 2F sound like it's about to detonate on road trips.

As an aside, I bought my rig from a guy in portland when I lived in Scottsdale. He had the engine rebuilt and the H55 installed by Landcruiser NW.

Glad you’re enjoying that swap. They worked on my 80. Spendy, but good shop.

I have a fair amount of grease and dirt visible around my knuckles, but no “popping” or clunks at low speed steering lock. PO did seals 5-6 years/25k miles ago. Wondering if what I’m seeing is typical or sign they’ve seen better days.

Glad you’re enjoying that swap. They worked on my 80. Spendy, but good shop.

I have a fair amount of grease and dirt visible around my knuckles, but no “popping” or clunks at low speed steering lock. PO did seals 5-6 years/25k miles ago. Wondering if what I’m seeing is typical or sign they’ve seen better days.
If your knuckles are greasy/dirty where the wipers are, you're probably fine. When mine started leaking, I had grease/oil slinging up on the wheel well and mud flap. Was quite a mess.

Hi Travis - just realized you're in Portland - welcome aboard!

PM sent on the roof rack.

here's a portland metro area cruiser group to follow for meetups - fellow mudders, etc...

I just put 31's on mine and have really been enjoying the rubber overdrive with the 4 speed. are you still running the stock Fj60 ratios in the axles? Seems like a 5th gear combined with 33's would really test the 2F's ability to power that ratio.

Hi Travis - just realized you're in Portland - welcome aboard!

PM sent on the roof rack.

here's a portland metro area cruiser group to follow for meetups - fellow mudders, etc...

Hi Paul,

Just sent you a PM response. Thanks for the tip on the local group!

First of all, congrats. Here are some 60 observations from me.

As others have said, the Saginaw pump is an awesome fix for PS issues and I consider it a great upgrade, not just a fix.

The roof rack on my rig cost me 1-2 mpg. I took it off unless needed.

The H55F should have been the transmission Toyota used all along. It is great, with a lower first to get you some better gearing and an overdrive (not too much OD since the engine ain't got no power). All in a smooth shifting package. Great upgrade.

Any tires over stock (but not too big) will need gears. I suggest swapping in some diffs from a FJ62. They pop right in and replace the 3.73 with 4.11 gears and you won't have any gear setup.

Nice looking rig. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom