Greetings IH8MUDers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across a nice ‘72 (5/72 build date) FJ40 on Craigslist and purchased it Dec1 last year. The PO only had it about 3 years but unfortunately it appears he let it sit outside all that time with no care. He purchased it at a Mecum Auction in Portland in June 2019 and proceeded to have the transmission (3 speed on floor) rebuilt and other work done to make it driveable. Unfortunately he also replaced the original seats with Corbeau bucket seats and the original steering wheel with an aftermarket one. Fortunately he gave me both original items with the sale. I just recently rebuilt (new foam, liner, paint , etc) the seats and reinstalled them. Since December I’ve been cleaning, polishing and refurbishing everything and learning so much about it. One thing I’ve figured out is the seller at the Mecum Auction did a very cheap cosmetic Overland package on it which included a roof rack, red jack, plastic handled axe and shovel, fake CB antennae, and fire extinguisher hanging from the roll bar-all since removed. He also repainted some areas/parts with an unidentifiable paint that is impossible to polish and very thick. Sometime in the past someone installed a 2F engine. The paint and most parts mostly seem to be original. My goal is to keep it that way and just add a few touches of bling as an accent. Here are photos.

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0367.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

Welcome, very nice rig. There is always more to do

I came across a nice ‘72 (5/72 build date) FJ40 on Craigslist and purchased it Dec1 last year. The PO only had it about 3 years but unfortunately it appears he let it sit outside all that time with no care. He purchased it at a Mecum Auction in Portland in June 2019 and proceeded to have the transmission (3 speed on floor) rebuilt and other work done to make it driveable. Unfortunately he also replaced the original seats with Corbeau bucket seats and the original steering wheel with an aftermarket one. Fortunately he gave me both original items with the sale. I just recently rebuilt (new foam, liner, paint , etc) the seats and reinstalled them. Since December I’ve been cleaning, polishing and refurbishing everything and learning so much about it. One thing I’ve figured out is the seller at the Mecum Auction did a very cheap cosmetic Overland package on it which included a roof rack, red jack, plastic handled axe and shovel, fake CB antennae, and fire extinguisher hanging from the roll bar-all since removed. He also repainted some areas/parts with an unidentifiable paint that is impossible to polish and very thick. Sometime in the past someone installed a 2F engine. The paint and most parts mostly seem to be original. My goal is to keep it that way and just add a few touches of bling as an accent. Here are photos.

View attachment 3341629

View attachment 3341630

View attachment 3341631

View attachment 3341632

View attachment 3341633
She's beautiful!

Why not continue adding to the original thread with updates and progress?

She's beautiful!

Why not continue adding to the original thread with updates and progress?

I’ll try

Very nice truck! I had a 1971 that color. Best wishes with it!

Nice truck. You might have a ‘71 production titled in ‘72. So maybe Capri blue? Check the Vin to see when it was made.
Whatever the color it looks awesome.

Thanks. I’ve seen that chart but I don’t see my color under 1972.

Rog, I noted that when I posted. It sure looks like 71 Capri Blue. Here’s a chart from CCOT. Sometimes the “digital translation“ of these colors doesn’t work. I have, lurking somewhere under a dune respray, a Smurf Blue LC. It didn’t look anything like what I could find on digits. Close, but not exact.

5D5EE28C-DF11-4DF1-8A86-BA7C8C3BF1D8.jpeg

5/72 build date..

Nice truck. You might have a ‘71 production titled in ‘72. So maybe Capri blue? Check the Vin to see when it was made.
Whatever the color it looks awesome.

Looks Capri blue to me. But to me it also looks like the outside has been resprayed. And possibly inside the top. Not a big deal, still a great looking rig. It was likely factory Capri blue or whatever this is.

Lets see pic of inside the glove box. That'll typically still be factory color.

Thanks. I’ve seen that chart but I don’t see my color under 1972.

That paint chart is not an official Toyota paint chart and not 100% correct. Well documented there were light blue FJ40s 72-74. The kick vent cowl has grill s to stamped in no both sides starting with the 72 model. Previous version only one on the passenger side that was a separate piece held in by screws. Is you spare tire carrier stamped with ribs or a solid plate. Hood was one piece starting with the 72 model. Up then then there two piece with a chrome spear. Footman loops in the back corners of hard top models was 72-74 model years. These also only has two footman loops on each barn door. Previous version has three. Weatherstriping in the glass in the top changed a few months before the rest and your is the later version. From what I can see you should have a production 9/71-9/72 on the driver's A pillar tag.
That is a very clean cruiser. Only things that stand out as not original are the bumper and side mirrors. Side mirrors were round and mounted to the top door hinge. Didn't make sense if you removed the doors. As clean as this one is I would be using it on any hard trails or be removing the top or doors. The correct bumper when using a Warn winch offered thru a Toyota dealer was channel iron but full width. Roll bar was a safety feature but was no an option ever offered by Toyota. 9/73 a roll was standard but never seen it offered as aftermarket part.

That paint chart is not an official Toyota paint chart and not 100% correct. Well documented there were light blue FJ40s 72-74. The kick vent cowl has grill s to stamped in no both sides starting with the 72 model. Previous version only one on the passenger side that was a separate piece held in by screws. Is you spare tire carrier stamped with ribs or a solid plate. Hood was one piece starting with the 72 model. Up then then there two piece with a chrome spear. Footman loops in the back corners of hard top models was 72-74 model years. These also only has two footman loops on each barn door. Previous version has three. Weatherstriping in the glass in the top changed a few months before the rest and your is the later version. From what I can see you should have a production 9/71-9/72 on the driver's A pillar tag.
That is a very clean cruiser. Only things that stand out as not original are the bumper and side mirrors. Side mirrors were round and mounted to the top door hinge. Didn't make sense if you removed the doors. As clean as this one is I would be using it on any hard trails or be removing the top or doors. The correct bumper when using a Warn winch offered thru a Toyota dealer was channel iron but full width. Roll bar was a safety feature but was no an option ever offered by Toyota. 9/73 a roll was standard but never seen it offered as aftermarket part.
Thanks you are a wealth of information. It has a 5/72 build date. Are you saying you would take it on hard trails and remove the top?

kick vent grills are stamped in on both sides
tire carrier has stamped ribs
hood is one piece
only two footman loops on each barn door and on corners

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom