Greetings from South Africa fj60 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day all

Just bought my first fj60 cruiser at a bargain

But the cruiser was standing for more than 6 years and when we towed it to the workshop we tried to start is but no luck checked the firing order and it was a mess
IMG-20200211-WA0004.jpeg

After sorting that out still nothing checked the distributor found out its an electronic one running trough the resister coil setup
IMG_20200405_103038.jpg

So changed up the coil and then we started getting a backfire trough the carb that's after we changed the firing order so started playing with the timing but no luck on starting it. So we started playing with the firing order if we connect the firing order 180° out its wanting to start and the backfire is gone then we checked the compression of each cylinder and found that they are all at 4 bar (58psi) all the same can this be timing related? Or sticky valves?
If we crank it with the started it doesn't want to start but if we pull start it starts but dies after about 2min running..
IMG_20200405_104127.jpg
IMG_20200405_104018.jpg
IMG_20200405_104053.jpg

Sharp truck!

Parked that long, I would pull the valve cover and carefully check valve adjustment (cold). You may also pour some transmission fluid in the cylinders and let it sit a few days in case the rings are stuck. You're going to need a lot more than 58 psi/cyl for happy running. At sea level, you should see 135 psi or so.

How many miles/KM on this rig?

Thanks SteveH
I'll ad some trans fluid in each cylinder and leave it for a few days

The truck has 246 000km

Okay so been busy with the 60 and removed the distributor and when we opened it we could smell that it burned
IMG_20200407_200954.jpg
IMG_20200407_201049.jpg
IMG_20200407_201022.jpg

What could be the cause for this? And is this a original unit because all the others that I have seen has the points and a condenser setup

Beauty! No smog control, nice clean looking engine compartment.
You are a lucky man! Good luck, I hope you keep it stock-sort of.
Original trucks are getting harder to find.

Distributors can literally blow up (the cap can explode) if not ventilated properly on a 2F (USA 2F). Any cooked parts inside a distributor could be a messenger that the ventilation wasn't sufficient

Hi, Good find! I'd also recommend adjusting those valves.More than likely the carbon built up on the inside of the cap and caused misfiring of the plugs , then melt down. old age or sitting a long time. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom