Greenville, SC FJ40 Engine Swap - Need Help Finding a Mechanic (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang, I'm sorry to here that didn't work out. It seems you've never had a chance to enjoy an Fj40 for what it is. GLWS

Yeah. I had big hopes for it. I can't find a capable shop to do the drivetrain swap. I have wasted a year and a half on it. It's a super clean, rust free rig. I just wanted to replace the motor, transmission, etc. It just got new head gaskets and manifold gaskets put on. Fixed the wiring on that HEI distributor and got the auxiliary electric fan straight wired so it will definitely work. Now the fuel system is making it run rough so gonna fix all that up now and then put it up for sale.

Are there not any good shops that can do this kind of work in the upstate of SC?

Yeah. I had big hopes for it. I can't find a capable shop to do the drivetrain swap. I have wasted a year and a half on it. It's a super clean, rust free rig. I just wanted to replace the motor, transmission, etc. It just got new head gaskets and manifold gaskets put on. Fixed the wiring on that HEI distributor and got the auxiliary electric fan straight wired so it will definitely work. Now the fuel system is making it run rough so gonna fix all that up now and then put it up for sale.

Are there not any good shops that can do this kind of work in the upstate of SC?
I don’t know anything about shops down your way. In these parts I’ve not had much luck either. I’ve resorted to doing all the work myself, that way I know it’ll be done right and to a high standard.

I still haven’t fixed my transmission mount that a very reputable shop trimmed with an Oxy-Acetylene torch when they were rebuilding my transmission and T-case.
When I paid a Rod shop to fabricate disc brackets and weld them to my rear axle (20+ years ago now)... they welded one on super crooked. The owner and fabricator who did the work thought I was imagining the issue, I insisted on bringing it by for him to see the issue. His tune suddenly changed when he saw his mistake... and quickly agreed to fix it. However, I consistently have this problem with everything I do.

At least keep it and drive it for a while. That way you can sell it as a running & driving rig.

I don’t know anything about shops down your way. In these parts I’ve not had much luck either. I’ve resorted to doing all the work myself, that way I know it’ll be done right and to a high standard.

I still haven’t fixed my transmission mount that a very reputable shop trimmed with an Oxy-Acetylene torch when they were rebuilding my transmission and T-case.
When I paid a Rod shop to fabricate disc brackets and weld them to my rear axle (20+ years ago now)... they welded one on super crooked. The owner and fabricator who did the work thought I was imagining the issue, I insisted on bringing it by for him to see the issue. His tune suddenly changed when he saw his mistake... and quickly agreed to fix it. However, I consistently have this problem with everything I do.

At least keep it and drive it for a while. That way you can sell it as a running & driving rig.

Good that you got that resolved with the brake bracket. I’m not that skilled with more technical stuff or any fabrication.
I’m going to get this one running good before I sell it. Just not going to attempt any of the swap I was gonna have done.

Good that you got that resolved with the brake bracket. I’m not that skilled with more technical stuff or any fabrication.
I’m going to get this one running good before I sell it. Just not going to attempt any of the swap I was gonna have done.

I still need a reputable mechanic in the upstate of SC though. Need someone that can swap out a Toyota 3 speed with a SM465. The moto

I still need an upstate mechanic/fabricator. Any suggestions?

I am going to get the 74 with the Jeep motor running good and sell it. I was planning a motor and drivetrain swap for it because it's such a clean truck and I was just set on putting SBC 350. The shop that was supposed to do this work failed at doing anything. I could say bad things but I am not going to do that.

Anyways, without writing a novel here...I originally bought a basket case 73 that was completely rusted out. It has now been cleaned up with new metal and is looking a lot better. I am planning to keep it because it already has a SBC 350 in it. Problem is that the 3 speed transmission/transfer case is dumping out fluid. Since I have the SM465 from where I was going to swap it in the 74, I want to put it in this 73. I have all of the parts to do it but do not have the skills or tools. I need a GOOD 4x4 shop, mechanic, part time mechanic, or person that could do this transmission/transfer case/driveshaft swap in the Spartanburg, SC area. I have asked a couple race car builders and some other shops but nobody has been able to say that they can do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want and FJ that runs good right now! Thanks!

Before and after pics of the 73...my Dad did a great job cleaning her up!

IMG_9395.JPG

IMG_6429 (2).JPG

In Spartanburg I have not used but have reliable info that Israel Automotive is good.

I had a wheel stud replaced by Lakeview Auto from Discount crossthreading a lugnut. While much less involved than what you are seeking, they seemed like a good shop.

In Spartanburg I have not used but have reliable info that Israel Automotive is good.

I had a wheel stud replaced by Lakeview Auto from Discount crossthreading a lugnut. While much less involved than what you are seeking, they seemed like a good shop.
Thanks. I have heard of them and are pretty nearby.

Maybe PM @ClemsonCruiser and see if he would take on a small job.
Dang! ClemsonCruiser seems perfect for the job but he's moved to Augusta, GA. That's a little too far now.

I may just try to do it myself...I mean it's a SBC 350 going to an SM465. That should bolt right up. The only things I think are out of my league is getting the AA adapter properly attached to the tranny, replacing seals properly, getting the crossmember set up and welded in, getting the driveshafts right, and then getting the slave cylinder to function...I guess there is a lot more to it than I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom