Greenstone day trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
marie and I went for a drive up Greenstone Mt yeaterday wich is about half hour drive from kamloops. Clear day, nice views of the valley and nicely plowed roads. Went down one road to dominic Lk which looked plowed but we were fooled. about 50 ft down the road the truck dropped into the snow. No problem I have a winch on this thing. after winching for a while, trying to get the truck spun around the shear pin snaps. so now the truck is stuck, and anchored to a tree with full tension on the line. good thing there was cell service there, we call some friends and they came to our rescue. 20 minutes of digging and we were out:) it was -20 at the bottom of the mountian and only -12 where we were stuck, go figure?

PTO winches suck:p
hjstuck1.jpg
hjstuck2.jpg

true:), Im glad someone agrees with me :p

Funny, so far I haven't gotten myself so stuck I couldn't chew my way out of it. That didn't look too bad. Guess it may not have anything to do with the JDM. :rolleyes:

Looks like someone forgot his shovel. Sure does suck trying to move packed snow with your hands, eh. :grinpimp:

Good thing for the phone reception and your friends pulling you out. Funny that the pto couldn't handle that, it doesn't look that baddly stuck.

I was up Silverhope looking to get to the Skagit Sunday. Following snowmobile tracks I turned around at 19km, the reality of hiking out if something similar happened to me set it. Somehow I trust my 8274 wouldn't fail me in the same spot your pto shear pin went :meh:.

your right martin, It doesnt look that bad at all. But I was straight up fuct. I wish I had an 8274 for this truck.:mad:

marie and I went for a drive up Greenstone Mt yeaterday wich is about half hour drive from kamloops. Clear day, nice views of the valley and nicely plowed roads. Went down one road to dominic Lk which looked plowed but we were fooled. about 50 ft down the road the truck dropped into the snow. No problem I have a winch on this thing. after winching for a while, trying to get the truck spun around the shear pin snaps. so now the truck is stuck, and anchored to a tree with full tension on the line. good thing there was cell service there, we call some friends and they came to our rescue. 20 minutes of digging and we were out:) it was -20 at the bottom of the mountian and only -12 where we were stuck, go figure?

PTO winches suck:p

The Toyoto factory upgrade PTO shear-pin, part # 90240-05504, its 5 mm and harder than the original OEM one. Cheap too - as I remember.

The Toyoto factory upgrade PTO shear-pin, part # 90240-05504, its 5 mm and harder than the original OEM one. Cheap too - as I remember.

I was just talkin to steve earlier. Ill be doing that:)

thnaks glenn:D

so, I've seen a pretty BJ74 in the same situation...
broken shear pin, full tension on the winch line, and blocking the trail, and no way to release tension or remove the pin - WTF, this is crazy

upgrading the shear pin will help somewhat; but, maybe something else will break instead. Is there really no way to safely release tension in this situation?

I like the idea of a PTO winch, but these two experiences have me doubting...

Thanks for sharing Dan.

-Steve

steve,

what I had to do was dig out snow so I could drive forward. I had to move at least 2ft before the tension was off the line:eek:

I would recomend otheres to do the shear pin upgrade

Dan

so, I've seen a pretty BJ74 in the same situation...
broken shear pin, full tension on the winch line, and blocking the trail, and no way to release tension or remove the pin - WTF, this is crazy

upgrading the shear pin will help somewhat; but, maybe something else will break instead. Is there really no way to safely release tension in this situation?

I like the idea of a PTO winch, but these two experiences have me doubting...

Thanks for sharing Dan.

-Steve

busted shear pin tension release procedure -- dig hole in snow under rig, craw under rig get comfotable with snow with water dripping in eyes, contort hand and arm to undo pillow block and pto shaft, pull off worm gear shaft, turn worm gear by hand to undo tension, bolt all the friggin crap together with frozen fingers then move to next recovery option -

There is nothing like a good Warn winch

busted shear pin tension release procedure -- dig hole in snow under rig, craw under rig get comfotable with snow with water dripping in eyes, contort hand and arm to undo pillow block and pto shaft, pull off worm gear shaft, turn worm gear by hand to undo tension, bolt all the friggin crap together with frozen fingers then move to next recovery option -

Busted shear pin procedure 2:
1)Tell girl with you that it's okay because you brought extra pins. Shovel snow. Replace pin
2)Snap pin again. Shovel more snow.
3)Snap remaining pin. Swear a bit but manage to hold back tears
4) Find Swiss army knife in center console with mysterious cheese-like substance caked onto blade
5)Cut tree saver strap. Cry because you used the nice new expensive one instead of the crappy old one.
6)Wrap winch cable around the front porch (hey, finally found a use for that thing!)
7) Walk out. Call friend with locked 80 for rescue.
8) Once home, acquire a snatch block,stronger sheer pin, and plans for mounting an 8274

bring a milk crate with a good length of chain and a come-along. I always bring one cause murphy's law usually has it's way with me:)

bring a milk crate with a good length of chain and a come-along. I always bring one cause murphy's law usually has it's way with me:)

I don't remember no come-along when you got stuck going down that snowed in hill to go fishin on the Peace! couple guys with shovels and a lot of skinny peddle;)

I don't remember no come-along when you got stuck going down that snowed in hill to go fishin on the Peace! couple guys with shovels and a lot of skinny peddle;)

oh right good that you mention that:

even better than a come-along and chain is a phone call to deny! leave shovels and chain and all at home;)

I might be waiting awhile for Deny to show up.
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom