Green Stripe or OEM PHH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

truthdetector

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi,

I bought a PHH with OEM clamps kit from Wit's End before realizing that the whole metal tube needed to be replaced because a mounting bracket had been ripped off.

So, I bought a new OEM tube (87029-60381) that comes with the PHH already installed on it.

Should I remove the OEM PHH hose from the new pipe assembly and use the gates hose? Or leave the OEM-installed hose and expect it to last at least 200k miles like the original one did?

Engine is currently on a stand, so installation difficulty is not a factor.

What do you think?

You just answered your own question. How long did the first one last again?

I had to replace an OEM PHH that was supposedly replaced (I specifically asked it to be replaced) when I had a head gasket done at a toyota dealership. It ballooned up and started leaking a few years after the replacement but I suspect it wasn't actually replaced or it wasn't replaced with an oem hose. I would just use what you have and keep an eye on it intermittently. The PHH gets a lot of grumbles and complaints here on mud but they aren't that hard to replace if the time to replace it down the road ever comes. Besides, your original lasted 200,000 miles.

Thanks for confirming my instinct to keep OEM. Looking at the new part, the idea of removing the OEM rubber did not sit right.

I was just wanting to confirm that the gates hose isn't necessarily superior to OEM, but maybe more practical when faced with the need to only replace the rubber.

Next question: which clamp? Since I have the kit from Wit's End with the screw-type clamps, I could use one of those, but I'm leaning toward what the parts catalog calls for:

1666905844362.png

OEM whenever possible, that goes for everything on the truck !!!😁

OEM whenever possible, that goes for everything on the truck !!!😁

Agreed. The only non-OEM stuff I have installed thus far are the springs because OEM are NLA and a 90-degree oil filter adapter that I’m not even sure I will keep.

Like I said above, I was just making sure the gates wasn’t some magical awesomeness compared to OEM in this specific situation.

Agreed. The only non-OEM stuff I have installed thus far are the springs because OEM are NLA and a 90-degree oil filter adapter that I’m not even sure I will keep.

Like I said above, I was just making sure the gates wasn’t some magical awesomeness compared to OEM in this specific situation.
The Gates is actually a horrible fit. It is only available in English washing machine units instead of the metric that the OEM pipes are. The GS hoses will seal, but it's got to be pretty aggressive. I personally chose NOT to use it, and unfortunately, I now own 50 FT of 5/8" Gates GS hose that I have no use for.

I use the gates hose all the time. The difference between 16mm and 5/8” is really minor. The thing to be aware of is that the hose needs to be cleaned internally at the connection or it won’t bond properly to the pipe that also needs to be cleaned.
+0.00492". Seems insignificant until you want it to hold a liquid and it's a critical connection.

Not my cup of meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom