Great Island Cabin Camp Feeler Trip - Nov 13-15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Since Portsmouth island cabins are pretty much kaput, it is time to find a new venue. In early Feb I registered one cabin for this purpose at the Great Island Cabin Camp, which is on the South Core Banks of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Portsmouth Island is also known as the North Core Banks.

For those who have not tried, reserving cabins on the OBX is a bit tricky. Reservations open in Feb and reservations for the whole year book up within an hour or so. Peak times (fall) book within minutes. This year @forrest5000 and I got in but we were only able to get cabin 1. Cabin 1 sleeps 6 people. That being said, beach camping appears to be allowed, and Cabin 1 is located closest to the beach access on the north end of the cabin camp, so it seemed to be the right choice.

The cabins do not have electricity, but there are hookups for generators, meaning we can power the cabins with generators if we want lights. There is propane for hot water and a stove. There is a bathroom in the cabin with a shower. There is *no* fridge in the cabin. I assume they have heat :lol: There is a bathouse in the cabin camp with more facilities, but all in all pretty bare bones.

This is our reservation. Check in at 1pm Friday November 13th, check out at 10am Sunday November 15th.
1602007723938.png

General Info about the cabins and whatnot:

Rates and Map:

***********************************************************************************

There are two privately owned ferry services that run to the South Core Banks;

1. Davis Shore Ferry Service (Davis) - Rates & Schedules
2. Cape Lookout Cabins, Camps & Ferry (CALO) - Ferry Services | Davis, NC Ferry | Cape Lookout Cabins & Camps | South Core Banks Fishing & Camping

Prices and amenities seem equivalent enough. I just got off the phone with both of them, and the Davis ferry is nearly completely booked up already, but I didn't have an issue getting the times I wanted on the CALO ferry.

**If you plan to come on this trip, you are responsible for your own ferry reservations.**

Now on to signups. Yes, this is a very limited trip, but again, this is more of a feeler to see if it'll be as good as portsmouth was. If we agree that it's awesome, and want to expand, then I can book more cabins next year. Remember, there are 6 beds in the cabin, but you can camp on the beach as well, right near the cabin.

When you sign up, provide where you want to stay (cabin or beach), along with which ferry service and times you're entering/exiting the island. We may need to negotiate who stays in the cabin and who stays in their truck based on weather, in-truck sleeping setups, tents and whatnot, so this list will not be fully decided until very soon before the trip. I'm going to consider the beach camping "unlimited", meaning anyone can go, as long as they can find a ferry spot.

Cabin:
1. Johnny C - @GLTHFJ60 - CALO Ferry - Friday 12pm, Sunday 11am
2. Laura - @GLTHFJ60 - CALO Ferry - Friday 12pm, Sunday 11am
3. Sean T - @SeanLX - CALO ferry - Friday 2pm, Sunday 1:00pm
4. Eric F - @forrest5000 - CALO ferry - Friday 10am, Sunday 1pm
4. Ryan A - @raanderson77 - CALO Friday 4pm, Sunday 5pm
5. Ayumi - @raanderson77 - CALO Friday 4pm, Sunday 5pm

Beach:
Will - @WhiteTiger911 - CALO Friday 4pm, Sunday 5pm

?
Del R - @SFROMAN - Ferry info forthcoming

1602007093030.png

Last edited:
I'm in! Cabin preferred. CALO ferry. Going Fri 2pm Back Sun 5pm (hoping to move earlier sounds like Sunday return is filling up fast)

Last edited:
Im going to sign up but my spot might open up as we get closer depending on surgery dates.

EDIT:
sorry was at work and had no access to phone. Not sure if the ferry will answer past 5 but I will try calling in a bit or call tomorrow early.
just put me down for beach camping. I will more likely bring my two boys with me. My 80 should be good to go by then and I can just mount the RTT on it and have a place for all three of us to stay. If it gets too windy we can always sleep in the 80 as well

Last edited:
Got on calo 10 am and 1pm hurry up departure times are getting latter on Sunday

I'm in for cabin

Put me down for a bed & I just booked Nov 13th @ 4pm & Nov 15th @ 5pm

Get those ferry reservations! Davis ferry is full on Sunday and CALO is full until 5:00 and filling up fast.

Put me down for Beach camping
Reserved with CALO for the 4pm on Friday and 5pm on Sunday

Looks like im out . Was informed I could not get off work. My luck recently, sucks!!!

Still in. Bringing a guest as discussed. Guest name is Ayumi

Looking like I’ll have to cancel as well work has me in Minnesota next week might not make it back by Friday

Since Portsmouth island cabins are pretty much kaput, it is time to find a new venue. In early Feb I registered one cabin for this purpose at the Great Island Cabin Camp, which is on the South Core Banks of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Portsmouth Island is also known as the North Core Banks.

For those who have not tried, reserving cabins on the OBX is a bit tricky. Reservations open in Feb and reservations for the whole year book up within an hour or so. Peak times (fall) book within minutes. This year @forrest5000 and I got in but we were only able to get cabin 1. Cabin 1 sleeps 6 people. That being said, beach camping appears to be allowed, and Cabin 1 is located closest to the beach access on the north end of the cabin camp, so it seemed to be the right choice.

The cabins do not have electricity, but there are hookups for generators, meaning we can power the cabins with generators if we want lights. There is propane for hot water and a stove. There is a bathroom in the cabin with a shower. There is *no* fridge in the cabin. I assume they have heat :lol: There is a bathouse in the cabin camp with more facilities, but all in all pretty bare bones.

This is our reservation. Check in at 1pm Friday November 13th, check out at 10am Sunday November 15th.
View attachment 2457663

General Info about the cabins and whatnot:

Rates and Map:

***********************************************************************************

There are two privately owned ferry services that run to the South Core Banks;

1. Davis Shore Ferry Service (Davis) - Rates & Schedules
2. Cape Lookout Cabins, Camps & Ferry (CALO) - Ferry Services | Davis, NC Ferry | Cape Lookout Cabins & Camps | South Core Banks Fishing & Camping

Prices and amenities seem equivalent enough. I just got off the phone with both of them, and the Davis ferry is nearly completely booked up already, but I didn't have an issue getting the times I wanted on the CALO ferry.

**If you plan to come on this trip, you are responsible for your own ferry reservations.**

Now on to signups. Yes, this is a very limited trip, but again, this is more of a feeler to see if it'll be as good as portsmouth was. If we agree that it's awesome, and want to expand, then I can book more cabins next year. Remember, there are 6 beds in the cabin, but you can camp on the beach as well, right near the cabin.

When you sign up, provide where you want to stay (cabin or beach), along with which ferry service and times you're entering/exiting the island. We may need to negotiate who stays in the cabin and who stays in their truck based on weather, in-truck sleeping setups, tents and whatnot, so this list will not be fully decided until very soon before the trip. I'm going to consider the beach camping "unlimited", meaning anyone can go, as long as they can find a ferry spot.

Cabin:
1. Johnny C - @GLTHFJ60 - CALO Ferry - Friday 12pm, Sunday 11am
2. Laura - @GLTHFJ60 - CALO Ferry - Friday 12pm, Sunday 11am
3. Sean T - @SeanLX - Ferry info forthcoming
4. Eric F - @forrest5000 - CALO ferry - Friday 10am, Sunday 1pm
4. Ryan A - @raanderson77 - CALO Friday 4pm, Sunday 5pm
5. Ayumi - @raanderson77 - CALO Friday 4pm, Sunday 5pm

Beach:
Will - @WhiteTiger911 - CALO Friday 4pm, Sunday 5pm

?
Del R - @SFROMAN - Ferry info forthcoming

View attachment 2457654

Johny ,
I worked it out with whitetiger911 and I will be taking his spot on the CALO ferry on Friday and Sunday.

also

I can take forrest’s spot in the cabin now that he is now planning on attending.

Looking forward to it!

Sean took my ferry spot on Sunday.

CALO ferry over 2:00 Friday, coming back 1:00 on Sunday.

I'm ready to go today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom