Great Godalmighty tell me what I'm missing please. Reverse lights/NSS rewiring. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay let me preface this by saying I'm the dumbest guy I know.
I am just about ready to drag the transmission and transfer case out and install that (alone too)
I am trying to get the wiring sorted out and have read as many threads as I could find and (at least to me) they all seem a little different.
1. So what you are looking at her are the 2 black wires on the Trans for the reverse lights.
2. The blue to gray connector, 3 prong, 2 thick wires (1 black, 1 white) connected to bypass the NSS.
3. The old Auto Trans temp connector that was suggested where to connect the thin black wire from the 3 prong blue to gray connector. (1 yellow/red wire, 1 yellow/green wire)
4. The same blue to gray connector, thin black wire connecting to the same old AT Temp connector. Also the blue wire from the withe to gray 2 prong connector, both connected to the appropriate pin to match the color suggested in other posts.
5. The red wire from the white to gray 2 prong connector which is supposed to be capped.

Right here I would like you to read the first sentence of this post over again before proceeding.
How in the hell is reverse light going to work? What connects to the 2 black wires on the transmission?

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

The reverse switch that's screwed into the transmission is a simple spring tensioned ON-OFF switch. When the transmission is shifted into reverse, a shift fork or something inside the case presses that switch closed...or releases it. Either way, the end result is the same, when you shift into reverse, that switch completes a circuit.
That circuit is for the reverse lights. That's all it's for.
Somewhere on the 62,wiring plugs, if two contacts are shorted together when the headlights are ON, the reverse lights will then light up too.

As to what plug or wires that may be - I have no idea.

you should get a wiring diagram for your vehicle. These trucks are not that complicated electrically and the diagrams are relatively simple...

OSS is right. Power comes from the 20A WIPER fuse to one of the black wires on the switch. The other wire i connected to the "hot" side of the back up light. The output of the back up lights goes to a ground. So there should be a dedicated plug/socket with two connectors. From the online pictures it should be round. From the looks of your switch with the cut wires, the both the plug and socket may still be there. Maybe the key switched power was being used for something else. The driver doesn't really need the back up lights anyway...

1588201836550.png

I have a wiring diagram for my vehicle. The problem is my vehicle is now a bastardized version of itself with a different transmission. Some connections that were there are not there any longer and I am having to splice wires to make things happen like cranking the truck and actually having reverse lights that contrary to popular belief are actually very helpful.

The wires to the reverse light switch are generally in the loom on the passenger side in the frame channel area

Hey Hey old buddy! I hope you and family are virus free up in Minnesota! Let be tell you, I resealed that 4spd and put the shifter on and that baby shifts great, very smooth. You would be surprised how clean the inside was when I drained and cleaned it out. It's a great deal lighter than the A440 too, but still I bet it will be a bear to get stabbed in.

I’ve tried but when I began making the connections I failed to see which wires actually made the connection to the 4spd transmission. It seems I am making all the connections completely bypassing the transmission.

What year is your FJ62? My 1990
Has a a red and blue wire to connect to the reverse switch. Look I even went outside got under my truck and took a picture

8A22B404-24E8-44DF-A8B3-717F1A1E56F3.jpeg

Thanks Matt, you're a pal. I just have to locate those wires now. They have to be near the old NSS harness. Since both the wires on the 4spd trans are black I am guessing it doesn't matter at all which way I splice the wires in. My truck is an 88.

Below is the post and an addition link I have been using as a guide. Even the wires they are talking about don't match what CrusierMatt has, and I know Matt's works because if it didn't he would have rewired the whole truck and added 3 pages to his build post.
This is @MrTechnical's thread.

Good Source for Wiring Info

When I was doing my research on the wiring, I came across this link:

Out with the Semi-Old A440-In with the H55 Check out post #98.

The text is dead on, but I think some of the pics were a little misleading, specifically on what side of the connectors to cut. The way the pics show, you'd have to cut the harness if you ever remove the tranny in the future. I followed what the text said over anything else, and made the cuts on the transmission side of the harness(es) and it worked like a charm. This way, all of the connections can easily be unplugged. Here are some pics:

Pic 1 shows the round 3 connector from the PRNDL unit. (see last post). This connector is for the Neutral Safety Swich (NSS) override. It gets cut off of the PRNDL unit, and the 2 heavier gauge wires can be soldered together. If you connect longer wires to each of the thicker wires, you can run them to a secret kill switch so the truck won't start unless the switch is flipped. IPOR gave me a better idea however. You can take the brake switch from the original pedal bucket you pulled, and mount it in the new pedal bucket so you need to push the clutch in before you start. It's a great way to keep kids that know how to start an auto truck from going for a ride if they start the manual truck. I'm sure it would be no problem to mount the kill switch and the clutch pedal switch in series, so both have to be made to start.

The third smaller gauge wire in Pic 1 is one side of the reverse switch, and gets soldered to the tranny harness' yellow/red wire which USED TO connect to the AT temp sensor, but now plugs right into the reverse switch on the H55.

Pic 2 shows the PRNDL 2 wire connector referenced in the wiring link in the last post. First, it gets cut off of the PRNDL unit, leaving some wire to work with. The blue wire gets cut and soldered to the tranny harness' yellow/green wire which (again) USED TO connect to the AT temp sensor, but now plugs right into the reverse switch on the H55. The red wire in Pic 2 gets cut and insulated.

Pic 3 shows the transmission wiring harness. You can see that I've added the green extension wires to add a clutch switch in the future (for now, they're just tied together at the other end though). You can see that the thin wire is connected to yellow/red wire of the harness, and that the blue wire of the other connector is soldered to the yellow/green wire of the harness.

In Pic 3 it might look like the red wire is tied into the blue wire, but it's not. It might also look like the stubs of the yellow/red and yellow/green wires are electrically connected. They are not. I just cut them off cleanly, and used a single piece of shrinkwrap to hold them.

Again, no cuts/changes were made to the truck's harness, everything was done on the A440F's harness.
H55 SWAP PICS as of 10-27-10 066.jpg

H55 SWAP PICS as of 10-27-10 070.jpg

H55 SWAP PICS as of 10-27-10 073.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom