greasing steering knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
uhh,,,its been a long long time. How much grease does one pump into the knuckles?

ok ok..search is my friend. Apparently its 3/4 full, but thats a bit of a crap shoot trying to tell 3/4 full when one has a fullly assembles truck in the driveway.

Last edited:
i have no were near 3/4 full, you tried repairs on the trail with that much crap in there

a few pumps every so often i guess

hell my knuckles dont even have grease fittings

Why they put that hole there is a mystery to me. If your birfs need grease, pumping grease thru that hole on the top isn't going to really do anything. If it's time to grease those bearings...you got to do it the 'old fashion' and way messy way.

John

I put a few squirts (3 or 4) of grease in the holes evey once in a while, but if you want to make sure everything is well lubricated you need to put in some heavy gear oil occasionally, too. the grease seems to lubricate the birfields ok. but it doesn't really seem to get into the kingpin bearings. When I took mine apart to replace the kingpin bearings they were quite dry - probably why they were worn out.

I put a few squirts (3 or 4) of grease in the holes evey once in a while, but if you want to make sure everything is well lubricated you need to put in some heavy gear oil occasionally, too. the grease seems to lubricate the birfields ok. but it doesn't really seem to get into the kingpin bearings. When I took mine apart to replace the kingpin bearings they were quite dry - probably why they were worn out.

Not a good idea to put gear oil in there. I know it's tempting with that hole there, but all it's going to do is dilute the grease & wear out your bearings quicker. It's just like when your inner axle seal fails...gear oil migrates to the birfs. Bearings wear out quicker.

John

Not a good idea to put gear oil in there. I know it's tempting with that hole there, but all it's going to do is dilute the grease & wear out your bearings quicker. It's just like when your inner axle seal fails...gear oil migrates to the birfs. Bearings wear out quicker.

John
You're right - the owners manual specifies NLGI No. 2 (Molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease) for steering knuckles, wheel bearings, and all grease nipples.

if your into your knuckles as much as i am rebuilding crap you could get away with miniscule amounts and skip the oil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom