Grease gun

MoJ

For years I’ve fought a cheapo grease gun that’s a PITA. Any recommendations for a good gun for servicing u-joint and driveshaft zerks?

And no, an M3A1 probably won’t work.

GeoRoss

For u-joints, driveshafts and any other suspension work I've moved to the small pistol grip grease guns with a needle. It is easy to use one handed and the needle makes it easier as you don't need the angles to be as perfect. Right now I have two cheap ones that I can bulk load. I now only use my big grease guns for topping off the birfs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/performance-tool-4601/tools---equipment-16488/compressors---air-tools-16811/grease-guns-17978/e1fa203584fa/performance-tool-mini-grease-gun-kit/w54205/4614365?q=grease+gun&pos=5

Reactions: MoJ

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
SILVER Star
For years I’ve fought a cheapo grease gun that’s a PITA. Any recommendations for a good gun for servicing u-joint and driveshaft zerks?

And no, an M3A1 probably won’t work.
Well I mean...it might not work but it would definitely be cool to have.

Honestly you're going to hate hearing this, but I've had excellent luck with my Harbor Freight grease gun. Bought it 4 years ago and it still works great.

MoJ

Well I mean...it might not work but it would definitely be cool to have.

Honestly you're going to hate hearing this, but I've had excellent luck with my Harbor Freight grease gun. Bought it 4 years ago and it still works great.
That’s funny. The HF variety is what I’m complaining about. I have two. One works. One is a PITA.

MoJ

Thanks. I think I’ll give this a try. I already have a NIB Lincoln needle.
For u-joints, driveshafts and any other suspension work I've moved to the small pistol grip grease guns with a needle. It is easy to use one handed and the needle makes it easier as you don't need the angles to be as perfect. Right now I have two cheap ones that I can bulk load. I now only use my big grease guns for topping off the birfs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/performance-tool-4601/tools---equipment-16488/compressors---air-tools-16811/grease-guns-17978/e1fa203584fa/performance-tool-mini-grease-gun-kit/w54205/4614365?q=grease+gun&pos=5

a31gun

SILVER Star
Spend your $ on an electric. Coming from a guy with 4 JD tractors, 650J dozer, hay mower, rake, and 5x6 baler. Plus pecan equipment. And more implements than I can count. I bet their is over 500 grease zerts here.

Enough rambling. I have 2 cheapo electrics that have lasted 5 years and pumping.

Blue77FJ40

SILVER Star

Lincoln is definitely the brand I'd send you to. I have a pistol grip one as well, as it's very handy to squeeze with one hand while holding the nozzle end when needed. I got the whip hose for ease of use.

I use a LINCOLN cordless gun, but the real magic comes from the lock n lube tip. I'm telling you its worth the money. No fighting at all and it comes right off. I think its rated at 10K psi so your lube goes where you want and not all over the place.

Z6f5yNTnTZWn+Q2WoV9s3w.jpg

Made a hanger from 1/8" welding rod for simple one finger operation.

NTDQNE6lQLWoVc7ZK9tpSQ.jpg

Steamer

SILVER Star

Lincolns are nice but I prefer the Alemite brand. My lever Alemite is 30+ years old and works perfect. My fave is my 2 yr old Alemite 555-E Pistol Grip. The two speed feature is really nice. If you have a clogged Zurk you can flip the lever to high pressure (more leverage) and often push it clear. Very easy to purge air and prime when changing cartridges. Often a pain with the cheap guns. I had to order my Lock & Lube seperate but now Amazon has the 555-E with the Lock & Lube on it as well as a swivel. Sweet. Alemite 555-E

Top Bottom