Grease for OME--what and where to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I'm getting impatient. I've read all the threads I can find, and I've seen recommendations for Teflon based grease, Silicon based grease, and the ARB website says Molybdenum based grease. I just installed my OME suspension, and before I go drive my FJ62, I've got to grease it. Shopping the local auto parts stores, I can find lots of Lithium based grease, and some Moly fortified grease. But nothing that says Teflon, Silicon or Molybdenum based grease. I'll be happy to use any of the above (Teflon, Silicon or Molybdenum) based grease options. Can someone translate this into a brand name and where to buy it? I'm in the Salt Lake City area.

Aren't you supposed to grease the bushings before installing? I've heard that Superlube is favored by many. With my greaseable shackles, I just use U joint grease.

hey,im not in the US so i cant name any product for you, but anything with Molybdenum in it is recommended,my shackle kit instructions for my OME said that moly is what should be used.
good luck.

Use a Moly fortified grease. I use Amsoil Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2. Some Napa stores around here (MPLS) carry Amsoil and may have it. Otherwise amsoil.com. :cheers:

You're getting hung up on semantics. Use any grease with MOLY in it. I just use the sta-lube moly. NAPA has a good supply of moly greases.

Superlube is a synthetic rubber lube and I don't think it comes in tubes for a grease gun (at least I've never seen it that way)

I was wondering about this, too. What happens if you don't use a moly grease? Just breaks down too quick?

I used Valvoline crimson because that's what was in my friend's garage. Looks like it's got lithium and zinc, but not molybdenum. Can I just pump some moly grease in there and go with it?

Only reason I'm even worried about it is the WARNING sticker on the OME shackles. Makes me think they're going to explode without moly grease or something.

So exploding bushings would add some excitement to the adventure, that's for sure. Probably the worst that would happen is the bushings would wear out prematurely. Of course, it could just be a ruse to get us to buy OME grease, because Molybdenum based grease is hard to find. I have finally given up and will be buying the Valvoline stuff at Napa that says it is Molybdenum "Fortified", whatever that means. And now for the challenge: say Molybdenum really fast 5 times in a row. It's a one word tongue twister.

You're getting hung up on semantics. Use any grease with MOLY in it. I just use the sta-lube moly. NAPA has a good supply of moly greases.

Superlube is a synthetic rubber lube and I don't think it comes in tubes for a grease gun (at least I've never seen it that way)

Yep. Super-Tech Moly Lithium Grease. Walmart, iirc $2.37/14oz tube.

Used this for years in my 3 DD Cruisers w/no problems. All in all, 4 knuckle jobs in last 10 years. Cut the tube open, scoop it out & fill the cage & knuckles. Done.

John

Edit : I am an idiot...thought we were talking moly for knuckles...but I use this same stuff on my OME shackles.

John

I used Lucas oil "red & tacky" today- which is a lithium based grease.. the OME sticker says use a moly or a lithium grease so i figure it should be good to go.

ps. damn are 26 year old spring pins hard to remove.

use a grease with molybdenum in it. The molybdenum has an incredibly high melting point, almost 5,000 degrees fahrenheit, and a relatively high combusting temp, like 1500 F I think. When many greases break down, the moly does not and creates a film between the bushing a pin that prevents parts from seizing. Moly is particularly good on metal surfaces, as that film tends to bond to metal very well. I haven't attempted to disassemble my ome stuff that i've used moly grease on, but I imagine its going to come apart way easier then the old stuff did.

The problem with lesser grade urethanes is that petro-chemicals look to rapidly oxidize them. They will break down faster when a non-synthetic grease is used, and possibly even when a non silicone based grease is used even if it is synthetic.

True OME bushings do not appear to suffer from this problem, but then when you compare an OME bushing to anything else on the market their superiority is obvious.

With a non-OME urethane bushing I will only use a silicone grease. With the OME's I use a typical moly containing grease.

Both Energy Suspension and Baker Motor Sports also sell a silicone grease specifically for use with urethane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom