Grease Fittings - None?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've only had this 97 Land Cruiser for about 3 weeks - so I am still in that phase where I am learning new things about my vehicle every day. I did an oil change this weekend and expected to grease the ball joints. Imagine my surprise when I didn't find any grease fittings. I cannot imagine how a vehicle that is designed to operate in some of the harshest terrain the world can throw at it not have grease fittings.

Am I missing something? Can I add grease fittings if wanted to? Should I? I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

the is a square plug on the top of the knuckle, remove plug, add a bit of grease, but don't fill it to the brim.

at least I think this is what your talking about

John

Landpimp,

Thanks for the reply. I was referring more to the steering components. Should I assume that the steering joints are permanently lubed and sealed? I had those type of joints (with no grease fittings) on a Ford Ranger. They went after 5 years and I had to replace them all. Are there grease fittings anywhere on the Land Cruiser?

Ah the Tie rid ends, no zirts I don't think(but I get confused), pre 80 series Cruiser are greaseable. But the 80's TRE's last along time...........these are Toyota parts not Ford parts :D

drivelines have zirts,

John H

97 LB

You have 6 zerks to grease. One one each U-joint, and one on each driveshaft. Add grease to the driveshaft until it begins to move, then stop.

-B-

Beowulf,

Thanks for the reply. I assume (I'm guessing here) that there are 4 grease fittings (zerks as you call them) on the drive shafts - one at each end for the front and rear. However, where are the universal joints? At the ends of the front axle? I thought you just had to take off the small cap and fill the hole with grease. I appreciate if you could tel me where all the zerks are located.

Land Bruiser,

Both the front and rear propeller shafts (drive shafts) have two u-joints (one on each end of the shaft) that has a single grease fitting (zerk), and the sleeved yoke (one on each shaft) has a single grease fitting (zerk), for a total of three fittings per shaft, totalling six for the both :D. So, get out there and get to greasing! :banana:

Wayne S :cheers:

Thanks Wayne!!

Yes, thanks X2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom