1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grease Fittings - None?!?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Gauge, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Gauge

Gauge

I've only had this 97 Land Cruiser for about 3 weeks - so I am still in that phase where I am learning new things about my vehicle every day. I did an oil change this weekend and expected to grease the ball joints. Imagine my surprise when I didn't find any grease fittings. I cannot imagine how a vehicle that is designed to operate in some of the harshest terrain the world can throw at it not have grease fittings.

Am I missing something? Can I add grease fittings if wanted to? Should I? I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    the is a square plug on the top of the knuckle, remove plug, add a bit of grease, but don't fill it to the brim.

at least I think this is what your talking about

John

3. Gauge

Gauge

Landpimp,

Thanks for the reply. I was referring more to the steering components. Should I assume that the steering joints are permanently lubed and sealed? I had those type of joints (with no grease fittings) on a Ford Ranger. They went after 5 years and I had to replace them all. Are there grease fittings anywhere on the Land Cruiser?

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    Ah the Tie rid ends, no zirts I don't think(but I get confused), pre 80 series Cruiser are greaseable. But the 80's TRE's last along time...........these are Toyota parts not Ford parts :D

drivelines have zirts,

John H

5. Beowulf

Beowulf

97 LB

You have 6 zerks to grease. One one each U-joint, and one on each driveshaft. Add grease to the driveshaft until it begins to move, then stop.

-B-

6. Gauge

Gauge

Beowulf,

Thanks for the reply. I assume (I'm guessing here) that there are 4 grease fittings (zerks as you call them) on the drive shafts - one at each end for the front and rear. However, where are the universal joints? At the ends of the front axle? I thought you just had to take off the small cap and fill the hole with grease. I appreciate if you could tel me where all the zerks are located.

7. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

Land Bruiser,

Both the front and rear propeller shafts (drive shafts) have two u-joints (one on each end of the shaft) that has a single grease fitting (zerk), and the sleeved yoke (one on each shaft) has a single grease fitting (zerk), for a total of three fittings per shaft, totalling six for the both :D. So, get out there and get to greasing! :banana:

Wayne S :cheers:

8. Gauge

Gauge

Thanks Wayne!!

Wayne likes this.
  9. musthave

musthave It is what it is Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, thanks X2!

Wayne likes this.
  10. Locked79

Locked79 SILVER Star

Holy thread revival batman

Wayne and The Raven like this.
  11. The Raven

The Raven

Media:
    Guess this is what happens when too many wise asses tell a guy to use the search feature ;)